There and back again...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But this is not a hobbits tale.

As I, and Joe, have alluded to, I was in Florida - I hit the road from PA on Saturday and returned this evening. The primary purpose of this trip was to attend my brother's retirement from the Navy after he completed 30 years of service. He joined the Navy because of me, my motorcycle, and as it turns out, some parachute pants that I wore one time that I came home to visit on my GS550L. He thought that it was cool, so he wanted to join the Navy and do the same things. This past week, I told him more than once that that story, and the parachute pants, need to stay in the 80's where they belong. He was hesitant to have a ceremony and I guess I talked him into it, but it was me that was the happiest when I heard him say: "I am glad I had the ceremony." So he is now retired and my parents are just about as proud as can be for having two sons that have retired from the Navy.

That was one of the reasons... the other is that ever since attending the 2nd MNG at Joe's Place a few years ago, I have tried to go on at least one big trip each year. This year almost got away from me, but I made it with a few weeks to spare.

Day one: Lebanon, PA to Fayetteville, NC
Day two: Fayetteville, NC to Mayport FL
Day three: Mayport FL
Day four: Mayport FL to Chuluota, FL to Mayport, FL
Day five: Mayport FL to Emporia, VA
Day six: Emporia, VA to Lebanon, PA

My place to Joe's - 1059 miles one way according to Google Maps and the directions I went. Add in another 200 miles that I rode around and the total distance for this trip is 2300 miles.

I had to say that I was at the beach at least once:

The bike ran smooth the entire trip with only a few minor concerns: it seemed to starve for fuel a few times at 90 mph and 3/8 a tank of gas. I don't think the fan is coming on because the it runs a little hot it stop/go traffic - the fan never came on but the temp stays just above the C when I was riding home today in 50 degree temps. The engine doesn't like to start to easily when it is warmed up - it turns over slowly and then fires up reluctantly. Also I realized that the 1200 is one thirsty bitch when riding it constantly at speeds above 85 mph. At 65 - 70 I was getting 145 miles to the tank. When letting it rip, I was lucky to get 120 miles to the tank... lesson learned.

On the trip South and while in Florida, I stayed at campgrounds, but not in a tent. I wanted to save on the things I was packing, so I found campgrounds that also had cabins to rent. All I needed to pack was a sleeping bag and air mattress. Loaded a little heavy in this picture as this was when I was going to meet my parents and give them a bunch of my stuff to bring home, but you can see, I wasn't loaded too light.

First place was the Fayetteville RV Resort in Fayetteville, NC. Nice place and on $25.00
In Florida I stayed at Hanna Park Campground which is actually a City of Jacksonville Park.

For the trip home I was riding with only the tank bag and the bag on the passenger seat: everything else is in the back of my Dad's van :BigGrin: Gas mileage was a little better on the trip home... I wonder why??? I was also spoiled by riding in Florida's 80 degree temperatures. It was getting colder the further North I went. No cabin on the trip home, this time it was going to be hotel room. I am glad I did, because the last day of this trip was a BEAST! The shortest in distance but it rained all day. I don't care how good a rain suit is or how water proof riding pants are, when you ride 300 miles in a monsoon, you are getting wet. By the time I got home, every square inch of my body was wet and cold. I would hate to think how I would feel now if I had slept on an air mattress last night.

I also learned a valuable lesson that I never want to use again and I don't want anyone else to have to use... If you are going to hit the rear end of a Kia Optima at highway speeds, make sure you do it with the front brake applied so the forks are compressed as far as they will go...

I was in Florance, SC headed South. I had my feet on the highway pegs following a Kia at a safe distance in the left hand lane, but since I was in traffic, I should not have had my feet on the highway pegs. A tractor trailer was entering the interstate from on entrance ramp on the right. A tractor trailer in the right hand lane applied it's brakes to allow the other truck into traffic. The elderly man in the Kia, locked up his because he thought the truck in the right lane was going to come into the left lane. I hit the front brake with everything I had, pulled in the clutch and moved my feet to the floorboards. As soon as the right foot was on the board, I was on the rear brake, but the back of the Kia was right there! He was rolling and that is the only thing that saved me. If he had been stopped, I never would have made it to Florida.

I hit the Kia pretty solid (there was a LOT of rubber on the rear bumper of the Kia - I probably lost about 1,000 miles use from that tire). My thought is that the things that saved me is that the forks were compressed and therefore stronger because the upper fork tubes were inside the lower fork tubes. Another thing is the fact mentioned that the car was moving when I hit it. The front end wobbled and then steadied itself out and I was able to ride off onto the shoulder of the road where I had to pry myself off of the seat. I seems my butt had a firm grasp of it.

I will say though, I am glad it is over because now I can begin to work on the 1100. :BigGrin: :builder:

yep ...i sure glad he made it my way ...had a great ride....did get a few burst of power in ....both bikes are very strong and conditions were great .....in all the burst of power i did go off first ...it wasnt like we were racing just playing around ...it dosnt take long to run out of safe road with the oldwing boxer punch sure was fun ....first time i was ever around a 1200 standard with the weber SCC set up on it ...seems there no loss on the single set up over stock carbs in gas charge ..it was proof enough to me that the single was the way to go on the induction set up for the hooch bike ....

a short time in all ...but a great ride with two really nice running oldwing 4s in the heavy duty size ...surely seems honda got the gearing good for true road dogs even in todays standards ....couple nice cross country set up bikes and a short ride of fun with them ..... :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164550#p164550:3snh8k4l said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:33 am[/url]":3snh8k4l]
Great trip Brian! I would have loved to gone on that one! (Except for the soaking rain part) :hihihi:

Yeah, I could have done without that also.

Glad you're okay Brian! I look forward to reading about the 1100 build!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164566#p164566:tqjinlmk said:
rob.lafady » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:14 pm[/url]":tqjinlmk]
Glad you're okay Brian! I look forward to reading about the 1100 build!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Funny you should write that. I am about to begin that thread.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164542#p164542:1kmr89y4 said:
Steve83 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:18 pm[/url]":1kmr89y4]
Quite an adventure! Glad you made it there and back in one piece, and had a good time while there. Oh, and congrats to your brother!!
+1 :good: :salute: :moped:

Damn brian,i wish i had known you were coming thru my area.would have been nice to meet you

It would have been nice, but I didn't give myself much travel time. I had the motor spun up most the time I was on 95 with one intention... get to where I was going.

But then again, it was your area that it really started to get wet last Thursday...