Time for me to address the 800lb Gorilla in the room.(Engine knock thread) REVIVED!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch! Seems the weak springs caused a lot of damage. There have been some reasonably priced heads on ebay recently.

it takes noise to pound seats like that gerry ......so no doutb that some of the noise is right there....that inner spring seems worthless ....seems everything ron said there suppose to do they dont.....good stuff gerry :mrgreen:

joedrum":27po4em4 said:
it takes noise to pound seats like that gerry ......so no doutb that some of the noise is right there....that inner spring seems worthless ....seems everything ron said there suppose to do they dont.....good stuff gerry :mrgreen:
I can't say that they didn't Joe.....the engine did last for over 169k miles!

When I get a chance this week I will take photos and post them. At this point I think I should start a new thread about the springs or post in the test engine thread?

Worn rocker shafts? A possibility???? We have only looked at valve float and weak springs! (Not that they aren't the problem, just lookin at all of the possibilities).

in a head whee things have weaken down and troma has enter everything is on the table...everything is takingng a beating .....not just one thing is the best way to look at it when your realy trying to curea problem good add gerry.. :mrgreen:

Maybe a "head thread" ?

Or....would it be possible to have sticky's for each section? Valves, seats, guides. Rocker arms and shafts. Complete with specs, pictures of good and bad- before and after.....etc. ?

scdmarx":2s9jeast said:
Maybe a "head thread" ?

Or....would it be possible to have sticky's for each section? Valves, seats, guides. Rocker arms and shafts. Complete with specs, pictures of good and bad- before and after.....etc. ?

Yeah with as deep as we're getting into cylinder heads it almost deserves a forum all it's own, or maybe a separate "Engine" forum.

Great idea Ron! We have done a lot of research and testing with a lot of results here, but sometimes the information is buried in a thread that may not be related to it's subject. :laptop:

It would be good to have sticky sections for each major component.

That would make this site rich with information and a really better resource for guys with these classic machines, posting the simplist things with photo's or better yet video's would make the site the best site on the internet...I thought of posting one on how to remove your carbs. but make it a video, I have removed them so many times I can almost call myself an expert.. here's what I'd like to see in some videos, how to's if you will... Removing Heads video, changing belts video's, valves and stem replacement and springs video, Spliting the cases of the engine video, clutch repair video, And all electrial connection testing video... Stuff that nobody else has is what I'd like to see..In videos...

littlebeaver":1pjhuyvr said:
That would make this site rich with information and a really better resource for guys with these classic machines, posting the simplist things with photo's or better yet video's would make the site the best site on the internet...I thought of posting one on how to remove your carbs. but make it a video, I have removed them so many times I can almost call myself an expert.. here's what I'd like to see in some videos, how to's if you will... Removing Heads video, changing belts video's, valves and stem replacement and springs video, Spliting the cases of the engine video, clutch repair video, And all electrial connection testing video... Stuff that nobody else has is what I'd like to see..In videos...

I love it! I'm a visual kinda guy. I catch on better when you can draw me a picture. And I believe videos are here to stay...in some form or other.
Ok, how's this for an opening to ponder. We could have a "video forum", but call it something different so that it will include only technical GoldWing "how-2's" and include videos as well as photos.
It would be organized into sections of the motorcycle, such as "ENGINE", and from there subsections like "HEAD REMOVAL", and "TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT", and "CLUTCH REMOVAL", and "CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT", and "CARB ADJUSTMENT", etc.
Then another section for "CHASIS", and from there have subsections like "FRONT TIRE REMOVAL", and "REAR TIRE REMOVAL", and "FRONT BRAKES", and "REAR BRAKES", and "FAIRING REMOVAL". I know the question has popped up a couple times about how to remove the false tank. We have unique motorcycles, and the new guy who just brought home his first one is confounded by what a lot of us may consider the simplist things. I myself am having motivation problems. I need to pull the motor out of a really good running bike, but I feel intimidated thinking about it. It's not that I don't think I can do it, but it just looks tight and tedious and I'm not looking forward to it. Therefore, the bike has been parked since September last year. Watching a good video would surely help put my mind at ease a bit. Perhaps make it look like not so much work after turning wrenches for a living all week.
There could be an electrical section, a plastic repair section, a paint your dresser section, whatever us members can whip out the camcorder and share with the rest of the members. Maybe, if there got to be so many of the same type, there could be a way for members to vote for the one they like the best and that would move a particular "how-2" closer to the top (or front of the list?)
I'm thinking this would be set up kinda like the service manuals, but be a video manual. What else do you think? Am I reaching for the stars on this? :yahoo:

I would consider pulling my engine again for the sake of a video! It really is not that hard. Takes about 4 hours from start till it is on the floor. Having pulled 3 engines and swapped two at this point I actually enjoy pulling them and putting them back in ready to go!

This will give guys something to get excited about, it will be most helpful indeed...For everyone who reads it..

I need to do another valve adjustment so I could do that video.

I think it would be good also if I convert all videos to store and play on the cgw server so we never have any broken links, already there are quite a few broken to images stored elsewhere.
As long as the video is on YouTube I can download and do the conversion.

I'm crossing over from a thread I started a couple of days ago about "knockers". After reading through and listening to at least a few pages of this conversation, my question is, has anybody ever fixed the knock, figured out just who is this culprit ..... inquiring minds want to know .... Crowe

I don't know about their knocking but mine went away after repair a really good sync. job...Those gauges really put the carbs where they should be and all I could do is smile when the sound of that knocking went away...If it knocks still after a sync. then I do not know, maybe pulse generator...Spark units, :shock:

crowesnest3":2nytm015 said:
I'm crossing over from a thread I started a couple of days ago about "knockers". After reading through and listening to at least a few pages of this conversation, my question is, has anybody ever fixed the knock, figured out just who is this culprit ..... inquiring minds want to know .... Crowe
YES...I FIXED MY KNOCK!!! I swapped out the engine to an '83 with no knocks! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

(I know, I know...wrong answer :cheeky: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :hi: )