Time for me to move on

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmopars

Reaction score
Well, I have had my 82 GL1100 for a little while and I have really loved this bike. It has been a great bike to travel around Washington and to commute with everyday. I have however decided that commuting with a 32 year old bike was just not the best for me. So, I am selling my bike, but don't worry, I will not be without a bike. I recently purchased a 2000 BMW K1200LT. This was the bike that gave the GW a run for its money in the late 90's early 2000's.
I was able to find one with 50K miles on it. I love the adjustable windsheild, ABS, Fuel injection (no carbs :yahoo: ) and this thing handles like a sport bike with the ride of a heavy tourer.
I just did my first SS1000 on this bike and when I got home I was ready for more miles, its like I had just run to the store and back, not from Olympia Wa. to Missoula MT and back.
So, I guess I am jumping the Honda ship. If anyone wants a great 82 GL1100 Interstate with new tires and a crap ton of other new stuff, hit me up. I am only asking $1600. Can be seen in the for sale section.

Congrats on the new bike, I was just thinking..I really don't know what a newer bike feels like..the newest I had was an 87.
I guess I don't know what I`m missing..probably better off not knowing.
Good luck with your sale, Its a great deal for someone.

In a word, money. I can not afford to keep both, don't have good storage for more than one. And need the cash for my taxes.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127582#p127582:113zbzlw said:
OldWrench » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:42 am[/url]":113zbzlw]
Hey, I think we would all like to hear about your rides and experience with your BMW. So drop by once in a while.
+1 :moped: :good:

As the saying goes, what goes around comes around. After a few years of being gone from here, and a few bikes later, I am back.
The BMW was a great bike, I wish I still had it, but a buddy of mine talked me into trading my BMW and KLR650 for a 2015 Honda CB500X and then I added a Rally Raid conversion kit to it. I used this for several years doing the whole Adventure bike thing. Did lots of off road, long trips and all that stuff. Lots of fun. However, because it was new, I had to finance the bike. This became a burden when I moved and my wife stopped working. So, I sold it and bought a 1996 Goldwing GL1500 SE, a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade a 1989 GL1500 parts bike. (long story, ask if interested)

The 96 SE is now my daily ride, even though I work from home I ride it as much as I can get away with. The 84 1200 is being stripped naked and the forks/wheel/tire combo and the rear wheel/tire/final drive from the 1500 are on/going on the 1200. So, it will be a 1200 with a 16in rear wheel and a 18in front with 1500 brakes and forks.

Good thing is I own all these (for better or worse) so they will not be going anywhere any time soon. So, I am back.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209343#p209343:2yjp4n44 said:
oldmopars » Yesterday, 7:43 pm[/url]":2yjp4n44]
... So, I sold it and bought a 1996 Goldwing GL1500 SE, a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade a 1989 GL1500 parts bike. (long story, ask if interested)
I'll ask. :whistling:

OK, so, I got this brilliant idea that I could sell my 2015 CB500X and buy a GL1500 and get it cleaned up and ride it. So, I found these 2 bikes, a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade and a 1989 GL1500/6 for $500 for the pair. I had to take a trailer to the Spokane area, arrived at midnight, looked at them in the dark with a flashlight and loaded them up.
The next day in the light I got to examine my new bikes. The 1500 has 174K on it and the 1200 has 57K. The 1500 is beat, very few plastics are any good, but all there, it runs, but leaks coolant. I rode it down the road and it seemed fine, but the coolant crossover tube needs to be redone. Tires are near new, but yet several years old and I would not trust them E3's.
The bad news is that the GL1500 has a title issue and it is worse than I thought when I got it. Due to all the work it would need and the hoops and trouble to get the title I rendered it a parts bike.
The GL1200 on the other hand has a clean title that I transferred right after I got it. It also runs fairly well and I have ridden it. The shocks are shot so it was bottoming out the whole time, but it rode well otherwise. The cosmetics on it are not too bad other than some faded paint on the trunk typical of being old and allowed to sit in the sun. So, logic would say that I should have fixed up the 1200 and rode it. However problem #1 is that, no offense intended to 1200 owners, I think they are just Butt Ugly. I have never liked the headlight and fairing on them, I hate the goofy digital dash, the whole bike just is not my cup of tea from a style stand point. Second issue is that I wanted a bike for my wife and I, so 2 up needs to be comfortable and the 1200 is just not comfortable like the 1500.
So, I went out and bought a 1996 GL1500 SE, beautiful pearl white, very nice near perfect bike.
So, now I am left with a 1500 parts bike and an ugly 1200. So, missing my ADV bike I decided to build the 1200 into a Faux ADV bike. I have un-uglied it buy pulling off all the fairings and luggage, made it naked. I need to reshape the shelter to match the lines, but that will be easy. I pulled the front forks, wheel, tire, brakes and fender off the 1500 and installed them on the 1200. Yes they bolt right on. Next I am pulling the rear wheel, tire, and final drive off the 1500 and it is going on the 1200. This give me the better final drive and wheel from the 1500, it gives me better braking, and 16in rear with a 18in front that is better to get ADV/Dual Sport tires.
I will be installing a new 7in round headlight and LED turn signals front and rear. I have found a dash on Amazon that will work just fine. I have 2 spring shocks from 1500's that will go on the rear. This will add a little lift. A skid plate made by a local shop with a Waterjet will protect the bottom from damage.
This bike will never be a R1200GSA, but the way I look at it, if Emillio Scotto can go around the world on a stock 1100 Goldwing, this modified GL1200 should get me everywhere I would want to go. My buddy and I like to do Back Country Discovery Routes, dirt and gravel roads, forest service and fire roads, that kind of thing and this should be great for that while still giving me a great on road bike that will be comfortable for the long paved roads that take us to the off road stuff.
So, that is the story in a nut shell

Well, as of right now the bike looks pretty bad. I am working toward getting it ride-able and make sure it will work for my needs before I spend a bunch of money on it and it not be what I want. So, the ugly stock light it just wired on as well as the turn signals front and rear.

As you can see from the picture, the GL1500 front fits great on the GL1200. I have yet to do the rear, but that has been done many times by others and is no mystery.
I forgot to mention in the previous post that I have already swapped out the stock bars for some from a 2015 CB500X, I will need to drill some new locating holes as the holes currently have the controls too far out and angled down too much.

Latest posts