Timing Belt Change

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After sand blasting I cleaned it up with steel wool then I used a electric drill with a small buffing wheel and polishing compound for the high parts. :Egyptian: Will get some black model paint to highlight the letters. :good: Going to leave the rest as it was after the steel wool. Still have to do the timming belt covers. :hihihi: :mischief: And yes I also forgot to plug back in the radiator fan connector :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: and the upper radiator hose (so wasted several qts of Afreez). That tidbit being spilled while I had the valve covers off and having just changed the oil, while pushing the bike into the garage I slipped and fell causing the side stand to flip up and laying the bike over onto me and loosing all of that new oil :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: :blush: :blush: :crying: :crying: ....I can't pick up the bike and the engine guards are off so I could not rock it back up, had to wait until sone of the neighbors came home. NOW i HAVE THIS BIG OIL SLICK IN THE GARAGE AND DOWN THE DEIVE. Good thing I don't live in Davis, or the City would have the hazmat team ouy for a cleanup and bill meand fine me for it. :sensored: :heat: :rant: :rant: :fiddle:

toytender01":2cc4gerv said:
After sand blasting I cleaned it up with steel wool then I used a electric drill with a small buffing wheel and polishing compound for the high parts. :Egyptian: Will get some black model paint to highlight the letters. :good: Going to leave the rest as it was after the steel wool. Still have to do the timming belt covers. :hihihi: :mischief: And yes I also forgot to plug back in the radiator fan connector :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: and the upper radiator hose (so wasted several qts of Afreez). That tidbit being spilled while I had the valve covers off and having just changed the oil, while pushing the bike into the garage I slipped and fell causing the side stand to flip up and laying the bike over onto me and loosing all of that new oil :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: :blush: :blush: :crying: :crying: ....I can't pick up the bike and the engine guards are off so I could not rock it back up, had to wait until sone of the neighbors came home. NOW i HAVE THIS BIG OIL SLICK IN THE GARAGE AND DOWN THE DEIVE. Good thing I don't live in Davis, or the City would have the hazmat team ouy for a cleanup and bill meand fine me for it. :sensored: :heat: :rant: :rant: :fiddle:
Man you do have all kinds of luck! The good is really good and the bad really sucks. I advise you to leave the bad luck at home when you ride. :smilie_happy:

:builder: Replaced my belts yesterday..(it stopped raining)..I did not remove the radiator, an inspection mirror worked fine to view the middle stuff, The 19mm socket thru the cam sprocket and clamped to the backing plate trick worked awesome, everything stayed where it was supposed to, new chrome timing covers, valve adjust and new chrome rocker covers and she runs and looks like a hunert dollerz. One thing, on the left side (right looking at it from the front) the inside timing cover bolt, when I removed it, I was getting a steady drip of anti-freeze from the bolt hole....common? :headscratch: And a 10mm gear wrench ratcheting box wrench was the trick for those pesky timing cover bolts. :good:

paddy.shadow":391mnnxb said:
And a 10mm gear wrench ratcheting box wrench was the trick for those pesky timing cover bolts. :good:

Do you happen top have a picture of it. I imagine it's got a bit of an offset at the box end? I did mine with a standard offset box end and allthough it worked it was a pain.

Jorg

paddy.shadow":m68mzlyy said:
One thing, on the left side (right looking at it from the front) the inside timing cover bolt, when I removed it, I was getting a steady drip of anti-freeze from the bolt hole....common? :headscratch:

No that's not common, first I've heard of that actually.

I believe the cylinder and water jacket are at the end of that bolt hole, wonder if it cracked through or maybe a PO cranked a too long bolt into it.
Other than that maybe the coolant is leaking down from above?

89-300ce":1wmyic48 said:
paddy.shadow":1wmyic48 said:
And a 10mm gear wrench ratcheting box wrench was the trick for those pesky timing cover bolts. :good:

Do you happen top have a picture of it. I imagine it's got a bit of an offset at the box end? I did mine with a standard offset box end and allthough it worked it was a pain.

Jorg

These are the ones I have, each kind belongs to a set 8mm to 19mm.
crw0008rj.jpg
crw0016rj.jpg

crw0017rj.jpg

crw0018rj.jpg

Thanks.

Since the timing cover bolt is recessed a bit there is no issue with the wrench clearing the cover? It looks like the one with the flex head has an offset built into it.

Jorg

scdmarx":13rtt16v said:
89-300ce":13rtt16v said:
paddy.shadow":13rtt16v said:

Jorg

These are the ones I have, each kind belongs to a set 8mm to 19mm.
crw0008rj.jpg
crw0016rj.jpg

crw0017rj.jpg

crw0018rj.jpg
Man do I feel left out and untooled! I have been using my good old 1970's pliers and crescent wrenches for most of my work! :whip: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

These tools are like Starship Enterprise compared to my tool box! :shock: :yes: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

89-300ce":r7zkv67w said:
Thanks.

Since the timing cover bolt is recessed a bit there is no issue with the wrench clearing the cover? It looks like the one with the flex head has an offset built into it.

Jorg

On my bikes they're recessed, but not all that bad. For this particular job I do like the flex head with it's offset feature on one side. Or I can flip it over and use it with no offset. It's reversible. I especially like the foot long leverage it has. The one shown is the smallest in it's set and measures just over 12" long. It's made to fit hex, spline, and square fasteners.

Thanks.

I'm going to keep my eyes open to see if a set comes on sale around here. It seems I can never have enough tools. Sooner or later I'm always glad I have a particular tool cause it will work in a place nothing else will.

Jorg

The flex head wrenches are "EZRED" brand. Not sure who makes them or where they're from. Got mine off the tool truck at work. They seem to be very durable workhorses. I've already stripped out a couple "Gearwrench" wrenches. But I abuse them a lot harder than the weekend warrior DIY'er.

Yes the plug for the fan is fun. Heres what I did. I left the hose off, connected the fan and then put the hose on the rad. With the rad forward you can tighten the clamp. Then slip onto the t-stat housing and tighten that clamp. I know one thing that lining t1 up is fun because of the angle. I'm still not postive its lined up perfect. Wish there was a way to use a timing light. Thats my 2cents.