timing belts

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
after buying my 86 sei was checking on what was done before i bought it, oil was changed and new back tire (front was still new) but said nothing about the timing belts. found out po didn't change the belts while he had it so don't know when it was last changed. the bike as just now turned 52k, my question is do i need to change belts or can it wait awhile, don't like messing with the fairing, to lazy. :thanks:

I would change them, because you just don't know. They could be 26yo and have 52k on them. :shock:

But it's your bike.

yes all new to you bikes sould be checked for sure .....but i have too asmit i rode my 79 for twoyrs before i check the belts ...mostly knew nothing about oldwings .....i would take it easy with it ...if you feell you cant do it now or need more info ....most likely it will be fine ....you have a rare and neat oldwing :mrgreen:

seems like there ought to be a member close to you that might be able to help around waco ....lots of texas members

The belts are pretty tough and breaking or slipping is very rare but not changing them is taking a gamble nothing will happen.

A bad belt change can go just as wrong too so if you don't feel comfortable give it some time and read up on how it's done first.

BTW, The fairing doesn't have to come off. Only remove the front belt covers and unbolt the radiator to move it some forward to work on. I've read some have done it without moving the radiator at all.

It's not that difficult a task actually. Watch Steve's Youtube video on it a few times and follow the manual. The toughest part is getting the new belts on , the timing marks want to jump. I zip tied a box wrench in place which made it go much easier. Turn the motor over several times by hand after you get the belts on to feel for any valves hitting.

There has been at least a 1/2 dozen guys have bent valves here in the last year. Why I say always back off all valve adjusters full loose to help prevent this from happening. It's best done before taking the belts off.

thats with 1000s and 1100s you can back off adjusters 1200s no there hydro heads and nothing to back off .....but yes we got to have a better record on this ...them dam pullyies are a joke honda made ...like they were counting on confusings things up ...what was the point of going out of your way to put marks on a pully that are good for nothing except tearing goldwing motors up ...every mark on that pully cost them money to put there...

joedrum":2kbx2thd said:
im not sure but it sure leads to bleeding the lash adjusters i think i havnt been there with that ...im trying not to have to learn :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

No need to bleed them if handled properly. I went through all that with the 1200 I worked on.
I'd have to look again but I think the manual says to not lay them down then no need to bleed.

Just bought a 86 1200 interstste one owner with 26,402 miles 1st thing i got gone was new gates timing belts ,cheap insureance.