upgrading my 1200 aspi with rear speakers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBarTeam

Reaction score
Hi,
i'm looking to upgrade my 1200 aspi with rear speakers and i wonder if the limited and sei have the same amplifier like aspencades have and how the rear speakers are connected to the amplifier. Does anyone know it for sure?
Thanks for answering :thanks:

It's me again writing for the same purpose. Did i wrote the wrong way, or is this question no interesting at all? I ask these because my first message rested unanswered and i really would like to know if someone knows about it (rear speakers on a aspi like at the ltd or sei 1200 and how to connected them the right way).
This i loved when i once rode an se 1500 years ago. The music coming from the rear sounds great and i'd like to do it to my 1200 aspi.
thanks for answering. :music2:

I don't think the aspy and sei or ltd use the same amp but my factory radio on my 1200 aspy isn't in the greatest condition anyway. what I want to do is use this sony am / fm cassette player or one of my kenwood am / fm cd players on the aspy if I can figure out how to hook my j & m headset up to either of them

I`m going to make a guess and say they did not use a 4 channel amp, They more then likely ran a parallel circuit using 4X8 ohm drivers making 4 ohms.
That would be assuming the amp requires a 4 ohm load and most 12 volt automotive amps this is the load required.
In other words if the common goldwing stereo speaker is 4 ohms then to run 4 speakers they would have to be 8 ohms for the same output watts.
Here is a simple video to show you.
[video]https://youtu.be/nzGMdr6SH-E[/video]

I could never understand how impedance applies to the amp and speakers and how that affects the sound quality.
I still don't but apparently if it's hooked wrong the sound quality is killed.
That site though looks like a very good learning tool.

Thanks to all!
I can not find the electric manual, i founded wiring diagrams in the gallery tech reference and cb/intercom/radio manuals. Which manual / file do i have to open to see the mentioned pages?
If i connect my rear speakers like told (ohms going to 8), will these give a good or a bad sound? Would this be enough loud or loose power?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117989#p117989:2ecruwr4 said:
JoeBarTeam » Thu May 15, 2014 7:33 pm[/url]":2ecruwr4]
Thanks to all!
I can not find the electric manual, i founded wiring diagrams in the gallery tech reference and cb/intercom/radio manuals. Which manual / file do i have to open to see the mentioned pages?
If i connect my rear speakers like told (ohms going to 8), will these give a good or a bad sound? Would this be enough loud or loose power?
First thing to do is find out how many ohms your speakers are that are on the bike now. I do not believe the diagram will tell you that information but it should be stamped on the speaker on your bike, or you could look at ebay pictures and see if there is a close up of one for sale, chances are they are 4 ohm..Also you can remove your speakers and test them with an ohm meter by touching each terminal with the the probes, doesn't matter which probe to which terminal for an ohm reading.
I am 95 percent sure they are going to be 4 ohm, they will read anywhere between 4-6 ohms.
So now we know your amp is set up for 4 ohms. This setting cannot be changed on the amp so to realize 4 speakers without sacrificing volume or sound quality we need to turn 4 speakers into a 4 ohm load for the amplifier.
To do this you need to buy 4 speakers that are 8 ohms each and run a parallel wiring to them just as explained in the first part of that video.
Thats all you need to do and the sound will be the same except more of it from the rear. Remember the amps ohm rating cannot be changed and with only one left and one right channel the only way to accomplish 4 speakers is by parallel wiring.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117996#p117996:cxt4dr7m said:
backlander » Thu May 15, 2014 8:25 pm[/url]":cxt4dr7m]
gallery/album.php?album_id=1988 Radio Wiring Diagrams.
Thanks for the link Mike,
Looks like there is a fader with the 4 speaker system. This i`m sure contains an ohm regulator that enables 4-4 ohm speakers to be run by 2 channel amp, If you have this fader control I would just buy 2 more 4 ohm speaker for the rear and follow the the wiring diagram here.gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1988&image_id=19646
If you do not have this fader you can buy one..Here is an example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/84-Honda-Goldwi ... 0508006694
The fader will give you more flexibility in regards to front and rear volume and would make buying speakers easier because there is a larger selection of 4 ohm weatherproof speakers.
If not you can use the method I have previously explained but volume will be the same in front and rear channels, where as a passenger may not be able to hear with wind where you can hear clearly.

It would be nice if they had supplied the component specs but Honda never really liked to give out specific info about much of anything, especially parts that third party suppliers sold to them to incorporate into the bike. It would have been a much easier job for the rest of us to figure this stuff out. LOL Allegedly, the Aspencade and the Sei both came with the upgraded Panasonic Type 3 audio system so maybe it will work out to just be a matter of wiring in the two extra speakers with the correct hard equipment already in place.

Well, i suppose the autovolume control with tone knob will not be this "fader". Right? This control unit is on the left side of the fairing at knees high under the left pocket on my aspi. I think the fader could be normaly near this one.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118017#p118017:2pnqky11 said:
JoeBarTeam » Fri May 16, 2014 12:03 am[/url]":2pnqky11]
Well, i suppose the autovolume control with tone knob will not be this "fader". Right? This control unit is on the left side of the fairing at knees high under the left pocket on my aspi. I think the fader could be normaly near this one.
The fader has a distinctive two knob setup so unless you see something like that then no. They do seem to be inexpensive, I`ll bet one will pop up for 14.95 maybe even 9.95 sometime in the future, look for a best offer too.
For the flexibility and less overall cost that would be my choice.

Well, i think i"l do with all your helping answers and links to interesting documents. I'l buy such a fader if i see at my aspi the necessary free contacts at the amplifier to connect the fader and then connect the speakers, front a rear, the way it's showed at the sei and enjoy the work.
i am very glad having found this forum with so hepfully and patient people, patient to my questions. It is also interesting to read other posts about puting back to the road GLs and it motivates to change life, start buying classic goldwings, repairing them, keeping all of them at home and hope my wife will not say no :) to it. It is just a dream and dreams keep us alive.
I have one gl1200 aspi, i am already lucky this way.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I think i will manage now. I will purchase such a fader and connect it and the rear speakers like showed in the image at the sei. Hope the sound quality is enough for enjoying at the french freeway speed of 81 miles per hour. Now i don't hear anything above 70 miles per hour and quite bad at 60.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118139#p118139:dseepx2c said:
JoeBarTeam » Sat May 17, 2014 5:04 pm[/url]":dseepx2c]
Thanks to all of you for your help. I think i will manage now. I will purchase such a fader and connect it and the rear speakers like showed in the image at the sei. Hope the sound quality is enough for enjoying at the french freeway speed of 81 miles per hour. Now i don't hear anything above 70 miles per hour and quite bad at 60.
if the sound output above 70mph is the problem adding rear speakers won't help, you will be dividing what little power you have between four speakers rather than two. the best thing I did for either wing was to install some headsets in my helmet

Latest posts