vetter windshield

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markinmi

Reaction score
How low have some of you gone with bobbing the windshield on an old windjammer and have it still be effective?. Mine is pretty tall and I have to crane my neck to see over it. Any pics?

I cut 2 1/2" off mine with a sabre saw, Now I can see over it and the buffeting is minimal with the visor removed from my helmet. I'm only 5'8" and I don't like looking through the shield all the time...especially going into the sun.

Attachments

• IMG_8276small.jpg
    IMG_8276small.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8273small.jpg
    IMG_8273small.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 120
Thanks for the photo and info kerryb, definitely on my to do list once I have the Rats Nest here in Oz. :thanks:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102095#p102095:1mfej1ei said:
kerryb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:17 pm[/url]":1mfej1ei]
I cut 2 1/2" off mine with a sabre saw, Now I can see over it and the buffeting is minimal with the visor removed from my helmet. I'm only 5'8" and I don't like looking through the shield all the time...especially going into the sun.
file.php

file.php
Buffeting is reduced at what speed? My worse buffeting is at 75-80MPH.

McGovern...what I meant to say is that the tradeoff between looking over the windshield and increasing the buffeting was an acceptable one. Behind the stock Vetter there was no buffeting at all... now there is a little noise but not much more disturbance.

Markinmi...There was a post that showed the steps. Cover the windshield with blue painters tape. Trace the upper curve on a chunk of cardboard and cut it out. Tape the new pattern at the level to be cut (your choice) and draw the original curve on the tape. Be sure the pattern is level! Blend the curves to the new width at the lower height. Cut with a saw.

I blended the curves by cutting the pattern in half and moving the sides out to meet the edge of the windshield. cut with a sabre saw and finish with a fine-tooth mill file. Do not powersand...it may melt the plastic.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102174#p102174:i2hqhsrk said:
kerryb » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:22 pm[/url]":i2hqhsrk]
McGovern...what I meant to say is that the tradeoff between looking over the windshield and increasing the buffeting was an acceptable one. Behind the stock Vetter there was no buffeting at all... now there is a little noise but not much more disturbance.

Got ya! I do not experience buffeting from my Vetter until I reach speeds over 70 MPH and from 75-80 it increases significantly.

Latest posts