Vw carbs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusterdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1949 panhead,1972 cb750,1980 gl1100,1985 gl1200,1998 cbr600f3 and 2003 vulcan 1600 classic
There was a thread on here 2 or 3 months ago where a member talked about putting a 30 or 31 pict 3 carb on his 1200 becauae he felt that the 34 was too big.i cant seem to find that thread.can anyone help with this?thanks

At one point during my conversion I was considering taking the 34 off and replacing it with a 30. I even bought an original 30-2 Solex, but before it arrived I determined my overly rich condition was caused by the electric choke not working. Removed the choke and adjusted the carb and it runs great. Biggest issue is 30 MPG, so I start looking for gas at about 125 miles.

Later, Bud...

BTW - I still have the 30-2 if someone needs one.

If you could get 45-50 mpg, would it be worth going back to 4 carbs? I have a 34pict3 on my 1600 vw trike and it only gets about 28-30 mpg. I drive it like I'm stealing it again though, so that might be a factor

At one point during my conversion I was considering taking the 34 off and replacing it with a 30. I even bought an original 30-2 Solex, but before it arrived I determined my overly rich condition was caused by the electric choke not working. Removed the choke and adjusted the carb and it runs great. Biggest issue is 30 MPG, so I start looking for gas at about 125 miles.

Later, Bud...

I am getting 41 mpg 82 1100 34 carb with a 40 pilot jet and a 145 main jet

Later, Bud...

I may be interested in your carb. How much do you need for it shipped to 97013 area?

I am getting 41 mpg 82 1100 34 carb with a 40 pilot jet and a 145 main jet
I too have the 134 EMPI and have the rich running problem, I also disconnected the electric choke but when warmed up the choke is in the open position and still running rich, I ordered a H30 on eBay for $61.95 and hope the smaller jets will give me some flexibility for fuel mixture, if the H30 works I too will have my 134 to whoever will like to buy it cheap.

eatherton and I have been messaging about the carburetor I have. I took it out of the box and it is not what I thought I had - it is a Euromax (round bowl) 30 PICT 1. As I explained to him I ordered it to correct the over rich condition I was dealing with, but when it arrived I had resolved my issue and just put it on the shelf.

The jetting on my 34-3 carb is 35 pilot and 127 main. The GL1000 had a bit more cam profile than the 1100s and higher compression which might make a difference in overall fuel economy. That said, "No I would not go back to 4 carbs to get 45 to 50 MPG. I don't think that is possible, and I don't ride this bike for MPGs."

Later, Bud...

eatherton and I have been messaging about the carburetor I have. I took it out of the box and it is not what I thought I had - it is a Euromax (round bowl) 30 PICT 1. As I explained to him I ordered it to correct the over rich condition I was dealing with, but when it arrived I had resolved my issue and just put it on the shelf.

The jetting on my 34-3 carb is 35 pilot and 127 main. The GL1000 had a bit more cam profile than the 1100s and higher compression which might make a difference in overall fuel economy. That said, "No I would not go back to 4 carbs to get 45 to 50 MPG. I don't think that is possible, and I don't ride this bike for MPGs."

Later, Bud...
Roger that, I too ride my 1200 for the enjoyment and feel on the road, hope the H30 is what I need the one version is the way to go.

If you could get 45-50 mpg, would it be worth going back to 4 carbs? I have a 34pict3 on my 1600 vw trike and it only gets about 28-30 mpg. I drive it like I'm stealing it again though, so that might be a factor
I think that is the problem, the 134 is designed for a 1600 VW and too rich for a 1200 GW.

I too have the 134 EMPI and have the rich running problem, I also disconnected the electric choke but when warmed up the choke is in the open position and still running rich, I ordered a H30 on eBay for $61.95 and hope the smaller jets will give me some flexibility for fuel mixture, if the H30 works I too will have my 134 to whoever will like to buy it cheap.
I got a manual choke conversion kit (12.00 advance auto) hooked it to my stock choke cable.

There was a thread on here 2 or 3 months ago where a member talked about putting a 30 or 31 pict 3 carb on his 1200 becauae he felt that the 34 was too big.i cant seem to find that thread.can anyone help with this?thanks
Hey Dusterdude that may have been me also Max1Chase1 on You Tube, I brought a 130 PICT 3 and still no luck with tuning, I went back to the EMPI 134 and still stuck with tuning, I did some research and it said if the rpm gauge is jumping its running too rich but it pops like its too lean, any help would be great.

I know this is late but that is me, search my threads, I used a 134 and then the H130, went back to the 134 because of the adjuster on the accelerator pump which the H130 did not have, I am experimenting with the size of jets to use for the idle and main jets.will be going as small as I can get to see what works.

Latest posts