Water Pipes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les

Reaction score
Hi experts! +7 in Southern Ontario to-day & sunny, got the urge to fire the wing up & drive around a bit. When she was warming up i noticed a bit of steam rising up from the engine area on the right side, upon further examination it was coming from a wet seal on the elbow fitting to the right head. When the bike was warmed up the steam stopped. I guess the seal expanded. Might try snugging the bolts down a bit. Was wondering if the bolts can be loosened off and if the pipe on that side would have enough play to put another seal in? Not sure which way I might have to go? Any ideas! Thanks Les.

Just O ring seals in there. They can be a bit of a challenge to get in place. Others have had them leak just a bit as you did and they held for quite some time afterward. Even the pipes are sealed with O rings alone. If you do it get some petroleum jelly to help slide the O rings and parts in place.

scdmarx":1oh3bbb6 said:
Those aged seals are getting hard in the cold temps. As long as they do their job when they warm up a little, I wouldn't worry about it much. Freshen up when you get to it.

I tend to agree. These things get old & seals shrink when cold. Run it a few times when the weather warms up, 9 times out of 10 the leaks & steam should stop. Then if it doesn't quit. Replace them.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I did notice after the bike warmed up it did stop steaming at the seal, and to-day it wasn,t wet around the seal at all. Hopefully it was because of the cold temp. like you,s thought. Thanks Les.

I also believe it was the cold and the sitting. Wow a goldwings to nasties cold and sitting. should be fine next summer. In hindsight It may have been better to let her sit till spring but I know how you feel think I may go out to the garage and fire the 1100 up LOL
Wilf