What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations! :clapping: :salute:
May you get a 100 times your first ride in the near future :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182385#p182385:1brjpdvg said:
slabghost » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:38 pm[/url]":1brjpdvg]
Might just need better fork springs or a little air to clear the horns. Congrats on getting it going.

Air in the forks? What a great idea. I should check that.
It didn't have any. Zero. Put some in. That made a substantial difference! And you were right, the F150 horns are safe now.
It still scrapes pegs sooner than I'm used to with the Kawa. It's a nimble little minx. I just have to remember to not ride the Wing like I can ride the Eliminator.
I'm getting the feel of the throttle, clutch, and shift points. It feels like the bike is running better and faster, but it's just me getting more out of it. Tried some low speed tight maneuvers too. I'm getting used to the weight and balance. I can feel the low CG, it's very tame at low speed turning.
I don't have the shelter on so I'm riding literally with a small car engine between my legs. It's right there. Awesome.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182444#p182444:2b1jetqs said:
chuck c » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:56 pm[/url]":2b1jetqs]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182385#p182385:2b1jetqs said:
slabghost » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:38 pm[/url]":2b1jetqs]
Might just need better fork springs or a little air to clear the horns. Congrats on getting it going.

Air in the forks? What a great idea. I should check that.
It didn't have any. Zero. Put some in. That made a substantial difference! And you were right, the F150 horns are safe now.
It still scrapes pegs sooner than I'm used to with the Kawa. It's a nimble little minx. I just have to remember to not ride the Wing like I can ride the Eliminator.
I'm getting the feel of the throttle, clutch, and shift points. It feels like the bike is running better and faster, but it's just me getting more out of it. Tried some low speed tight maneuvers too. I'm getting used to the weight and balance. I can feel the low CG, it's very tame at low speed turning.
I don't have the shelter on so I'm riding literally with a small car engine between my legs. It's right there. Awesome.
Hey Chuck, I forgot I still have those Progressive fork springs if you are still interested.

If you are scraping pegs too easily more than likely the rear shocks/springs are sagged.
Another easy test is how hard is it to get on the centre stand, the harder it is the more sagged is the rear suspension. :whistling:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182469#p182469:1443rywq said:
Ansimp » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:48 pm[/url]":1443rywq]
If you are scraping pegs too easily more than likely the rear shocks/springs are sagged.
Another easy test is how hard is it to get on the centre stand, the harder it is the more sagged is the rear suspension. :whistling:

Could be the case but I don't have un-sagged to compare. Does this mean replacement?

There are measurements in the workshop manual for suspension heights. When I first got the Rats Nest the suspension was great and while cruising in the states it was easy to get a fully loaded gl1100 onto the centre stand. After some more hard riding back here in Oz I thought that I was getting weak when I tried to get the bike onto the centre stand. Now that I have new (second hand) progressives on the rear, no more bottoming suspension when riding, easy to get back on the centre stand and much harder to drag the pegs ( my rattle bolts are worn down so much now so the centre stand grinds at the same time as the pegs :whistling: )

Under the right side cover should be a Schrader valve close to the rear master cylinder to add air to the rear shocks. Try that first.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182500#p182500:1chjgmt8 said:
slabghost » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:35 am[/url]":1chjgmt8]
Under the right side cover should be a Schrader valve close to the rear master cylinder to add air to the rear shocks. Try that first.
I ran 60psi in the Rats Nest when fully loaded in the States. I kept that pressure the whole time back here in Oz but the springs continued to sag and are now finally back to brilliant with the progressives.

I finally got the right air pressure in the rear and stopped dragging pegs. Apparently the low end of the suggested range is not enough for a rider my size, who knew? That inch or so of lift adds many degrees of lean before making sparks. I put another 20 miles on it tonight and took it to highway speed for the first time. 70mph is much more pleasant with a fairing and windshield!

I pulled the right side timing cover. And let me tell you it was no picnic. Solid two hours to get that cover extricated. Why? Because there was a side hack and frame mounts and a crash guard on to which the floorboard was mounted in the way. Couple that with minimal wrench swinging space and perhaps a 2° angle of rotation on half the bolts and you will see why I stopped for the night.

Wotta pain. Enough to make me question my sanity.

image.jpeg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182543#p182543:24bc3bex said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 9:17 pm[/url]":24bc3bex]
I pulled the right side timing cover. And let me tell you it was no picnic. Solid two hours to get that cover extricated. Why? Because there was a side hack and frame mounts and a crash guard on to which the floorboard was mounted in the way. Couple that with minimal wrench swinging space and perhaps a 2° angle of rotation on half the bolts and you will see why I stopped for the night.

Wotta pain. Enough to make me question my sanity.

file.php
I pulled the head on a 1200 with the sidecar in place. Now that's a treat!

After spendin all day Sunday CLEANIN the Turd......I rode it to werk....in da rain....again..! :doh: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts