What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still doing tear down on her, got the crash bars off, radiator out, timing covers off, thermostat out. Going to test thermoswith and thermostat this afternoon, the bad news is the water pump has got to much wiggle in it, good news was no oil in the coolant. I'll drop the rad off at the rad shop tomorrow and have it refurbished and tested. Lucky me, no broke bolts so far, (knocking on wood)
Also, all the brake rotors checked within half of 1 thousandth of new. I consider that a lucky break, No pun intended. :smilie_happy:

Thermostat good, thermo switch bad, guess that explains why the fan runs all the time, PO direct wired it to key switch. The dollar signs are starting to add up. Apple, oh Apple, where r u? Where's the best place to buy a pump?

P/M sent, backlander...

I spent the day fabricating an air box for my radiator. Turned out pretty well, if I do say so meself...

my birthday was yesterday and i celebrated from 7:30 until three this morning then went right to bed. got back up just befroe 7a and got myself ready to hit the road. the destination was the left coast, holland, and south haven running I-96 west. then I-196 and m-31 south to I-94. I-94 west back home by 3p. had lunch in south haven and refueled in the capitol city ( lansing, mi ), south haven, and albion. lunch was in south havenat wendy's and i spotted a waffle house resturant at mile marker 52 off of I-94. just over 420 miles ridden today

Got the bike running today. Fab some mounts to put early style FLH bags back on. Need to wire in the taillights and then license and insure her. Oh yea, paint the rear fender. The chrome is pitted and nasty.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

removed the battery, filled it and stored on shelf with battery tender on it, drained the oil, man that Amsoil was still slicker than deer guts on a door knob, no fuel smell either, that was a good sign. Spent the last four hours on the computer gathering all the OEM part numbers for parts for this tear down and looking at prices at different places, not that I'm gonna use all OEM parts, just wanted all the o-ring and seal measurements to make sure I get the right stuff.

yesterday I found my vacuum gauges so today I gave her a balancing and tightened the handlebars...
took her for a short ride to confirm the handlebar location.. next trip will be to the store for gas.
also adjusted the carbs again... made them all even.. 1.5 turns from bottom.. and then set the vacuum
while I had the vacuum adapters in I hooked the timing advance to the intake and checked to make sure all was still working..
yup nice jump in rpms with a bit of vacuum...
I'm thinking of checking the timing with a light when I get a chance, maybe adjust the vacuum linkage shorter. just to see if it runs better.

Change the oil and filter in her last nite, will be puttin a shine on her tonite :moped: :moped: :ahem: :ahem:

Removed the oil filter, transmission cover. By the way, the neutral safety switch is still in the trans coveron the 86 model 1200 and the idiots at Honda direct wired it somewhere all the way up under that wasp next of wiring under the tank cover to a point that cannot be seen. I was under the impression from reading Roady's instructions that it was there only on 83 and 84 models. I just spent an hour looking for the disconnect and never found it. Why didn't they put a disconnect by the trans cover. :Doh2: NO Way was I gonna mess with that switch and have that to deal with. So I managed to remove the water pump from the trans cover with the aid of a :builder: . Rubber hammer of course :smilie_happy:with it all still attached. Measurement shows .125 thousandth endplay side to side on the impellar shaft and it was still pumping with no leaks and engine not overheating, just running to far above midrange for my taste. Now the journey to find a way to rebuild these things without having to mortgage the house. The search is on. :laptop:

That's on my list of things to do joe, I'm gonna try it. I'm also doing the relay mod to coils and the one to headlight while I'm into all this. My poor bike looks like it got hit by a freight train right now. :crying: :crying:

i haven't done anything to either wing today cause i've had spasms in my neck all day but i did make it to the ups store to ship a seat to a member on another forum and the postoffice to ship some small parts to another member on that forum

Latest posts