What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...I installed some new driving lights on mine today. Had to...had a wee mishap Friday on the way home, and broke one of them off, and dint even know it until I got home...and saw it was dangling by the wires... :Doh2:
So...I used the $50 gift card I won(long story) from the Corporate office, and went and bought me some new lights. In the process of installing them, my air horn fell off... :rant: I knew it was going to...it was just a matter of time. I had it bolted to the little tab that the original horn mounted to, and flexing it back/forth working on the front cover a few weeks back just weakened it too much. SO...I wound up drilling a couple of holes in the frame cross-bar above the radiator, and tapping them for 1/4" bolts. That sucker is ON there now! :mrgreen:
So I killed two stones with one bird today...or something to that effect... :clapping:

i just finished giving my 1200 wing a good going over in preperation for next weeks ride. my niece and i are leaving out monday for logansport, in and meet up with eric. then tuesday we'll ride over to boardman,oh. wednsday we'll head to frackville, pa. saturday my niece and i will head back home

hey AApple, just had a look at your pix and love what you did to the rear for visibility!

1060dsl":1voni5rk said:
Installed my New Kuyakyn Adjustable foot cruiser foot pegs - they have a huge number of combinations and I readjusted them about a zillion times - but I think I have it now !!
Uhhhh.......PICs or it didn't happen! :smilie_happy:

PICs mostly to see how they turned out!

mcgovern61":37ttddk2 said:
1060dsl":37ttddk2 said:
Installed my New Kuryakyn Adjustable foot cruiser foot pegs - they have a huge number of combinations and I readjusted them about a zillion times - but I think I have it now !!

Its 11:30 at night and she is covered up but here they are
100_0514.JPG
100_0513.JPG
100_0517.JPG
100_0516.JPG

Well....I worked on mine sitting in a parking lot on the way home..... :head bang:
Left the shop, went aboot a block, turned a corner to go to the gas station, pulled in on the clutch lever, and.....SNAP...the cable breaks.
Or that's what it appeared. I eased myself down the road a ways, trying to not get into a position to where I had to stop. Finally made it into a parking lot, and killed it. I just KNEW that danged new cable I put on had popped the end off again. I was stuck....
Anyway, once I got it stopped, I pulled the cover back on the cable at the lever, and...huh? It looks good...nothing broke. So, I looks down at the clutch end of the cable...and it's not broke there, either. But....it IS just hangin loose. The ball end of the cable had come out of the saddle on the clutch lever on the cover. Don't know how the heck that happened, but I loosened up the adjustment at the top, hooked the bottom of the cable back into the saddle, and then tightened the top adjustment back up, with just a wee bit of free-play. Worked fine. I guess the top adjustment has just been slowly loosening itself off, and it got loose enough for the ball of the cable to pop out of the saddle on the bottom.

Whew!!!! :heat: Sure glad that's all it was. If the cable itself had broken, I'da been in a werld of hurt. Shop was already locked up, and I sure wasn't gunna pay another $200 tow bill....

after that, I got fueled up, and rode like the wind home. :moped:

Installed my new Voltage indicator https://www.ebay.ca/itm/150479033981 getting a bit nervous about my stator (starting to do funny things) hopefully it will hold up untill winter when I will install an alternator.
Voltage

The voltage in causes the Output to light as follws
>15.20 Green/Red alternating (over-voltage)
>13.20 Green (charging)
>12.45 Amber (75% plus)
>12.25 Red slow flash (50% approx)
>12.00 Red 2 flashes, repeat
>11.80 Red 3 flashes, repeat
<11.80 Red 4 flashes, repeat

Here it is (engine not running) mounted on the side panel
2012-08-22 15.56.33.jpg

And with the motor running and charging correctly
2012-08-22 15.56.59.jpg

AND OF COURSE (like amost everything in my life) I DONT LIKE THE WAY IT TURNS OUT SO I DO IT AGAIN this time I mount it where its easy to see
2012-08-22 18.55.38.jpg

Looks and works pretty Spiffy !! but maybe getting a tad busy!!

Attachments

• 2012-08-22 18.57.38.jpg
    2012-08-22 18.57.38.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 96
It's been really hot here in Vegas lately so the big girl has been sitting in the garage for about a month now in favor of my CX-650 which is a zippy little bike without a windscreen or fairing. Much cooler to ride in hot weather.

So the other day with weather moving in it got overcast and the high was about 90ish and I started to go for a ride on the Wing. I loaned my battery tender to a friend that was having some battery problems and he has not returned it so guess what. Low Battery and no start. No problem I just hooked the charger up for a few minutes and it started. BUT

Not a happy bike ..... idle and mid crappy crappy crappy. The only thing I can figure is sitting with a bit of fuel in the bowls in a hot garage is going to begin taking its toll in just a few weeks. I figured I'd just go blow it out and all's well. I rebuilt the carbs with Randakk's excellent kit and had no problems whatsoever for like 1,000 miles before parking it.

Put about 20 miles on the bike running it sort of hard and although it runs though the gears fine I just did NOT like the idle. My son had given me some samples of CRC's Phase Guard 4 Stor & Go that treats up to 2.5 gallons of fuel and since that was about exactly what was in the tank I dumped it in. Went for a ride and it just got better and better until about the time it takes to run a couple of bowls of fuel out the bike cleared up and idles as well as before. Pretty good stuff I'd say from this one test.

I'd done a pretty decent going over on this bike over the winter and it was running perfectly when I parked it. This is just evidence for me that any fuel left in a carb in a very hot environment for weeks will evaporate and leave crap behind to clog up the small passages especially in the idle circuit. Idle was the big problem as the rest of the throttle range was just fine. I was about to add some ATF when I remembered the CRC stuff so I still have not used ATF in the fuel system. I know some swear about the use of ATF and I have no problem using it but just decided to try this stuff since I have several applications. They claim this Stor & Go is formulated for the use of ethanol fuels so I just take it as it is. All of Randakk's parts in his kits are viton to combat the ethanol problem so I'm not too worried about those effects. I would just hate to try and clean out one that had sit for an extended period.

If you can't run 'em regular you are bound to get some problems. Bottom line. Best to know how to prevent it or take care of it before it gets bad.

1060dsl":pkrjyof2 said:
mcgovern61":pkrjyof2 said:
1060dsl":pkrjyof2 said:
Installed my New Kuryakyn Adjustable foot cruiser foot pegs - they have a huge number of combinations and I readjusted them about a zillion times - but I think I have it now !!

Its 11:30 at night and she is covered up but here they are
View attachment 3 View attachment 1 View attachment 2

Was looking at those for my 82 Asspy, anyone have these on an 82 ???

I pulled the cover off the bike, and decided to start her up, since it's been a while (like a month or two) since I started her last, let alone took her out for a ride. Turned the fuel tap to "On", no choke, couple twists on the throttle, key to "On", pressed "Start", and she fired right up. So I'm walking around the bike, and noticed that my tags expire in Sept. I haven't rec'd my renewal notice yet, which I thought was odd, but not to worry just yet. I opened up the gas tank cover to look at the registration paperwork, and noticed that I had the safety inspection paperwork from when I had it inspected last November, which was what, about 9-10 months ago? So I look at the mileage reading on the inspection paperwork from Nov, and it says 50116. I look down at the odometer, and guess what it says? Go ahead, guess...

50180!

Yup, I've only ridden the bike 64 miles over the last 9 months! It's no wonder she's got a slow leak in the front tire! Common sense would say I should sell the bike, since I obviously don't ride it, but it's such a nice, unique bike...I just have to move somewhere that has nicer riding weather, like back to So Cal, instead of being stuck here in southeast VA because of work...But I guess if I did sell the bike, I could bank the money for the inevitable repairs I'll have, since I'm now the proud owner of both a 1991 Saab 900 turbo convertible (now back in CA), and a 1995 Jaguar XJ6 (here with me in VA)...

Latest posts