What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked at the new brake pads for the rear brakes of my GL1000....UGH!.....Ok, where's my book....I don't remember how to do this....I only remember I don't like doing it...=(

SirGary":1yfg5z0e said:
I just looked at the new brake pads for the rear brakes of my GL1000....UGH!.....Ok, where's my book....I don't remember how to do this....I only remember I don't like doing it...=(
couldn't be near as bad as having to do rear brakes on a 1500 wing

Finished taking apart the water pump, curious as to why there was so much sideplay in the shaft. The front bearing only had three ball bearings left to be found, I have no idea where the other ones went, the inner race was totaly seperated from the outer race. It was a mess. The weep hole was completely stopped up so that explained why there was no leakage, huh. It was packed like concrete. So after cleaning up all the good parts and making sure the shaft wasn't damaged, I bite the bullet and ordered a rebuild kit from Germany that will take up to three weeks to get here if U.S. Customs don't mess wid it. I did this to check the quality of his kit .I have located everything but the mechanical seal localy, so I'm on a mission by ordering this kit so I can get a lead on where to find them in the states, other than from Honda at 30.00 bucks a pop. Hopefully all this is to be able to rebuild a pump with quality parts instead of being robbed by Honda.

backlander":5gtfbfbg said:
Finished taking apart the water pump, curious as to why there was so much sideplay in the shaft. The front bearing only had three ball bearings left to be found, I have no idea where the other ones went, the inner race was totaly seperated from the outer race. It was a mess. The weep hole was completely stopped up so that explained why there was no leakage, huh. It was packed like concrete. So after cleaning up all the good parts and making sure the shaft wasn't damaged, I bite the bullet and ordered a rebuild kit from Germany that will take up to three weeks to get here if U.S. Customs don't mess wid it. I did this to check the quality of his kit .I have located everything but the mechanical seal localy, so I'm on a mission by ordering this kit so I can get a lead on where to find them in the states, other than from Honda at 30.00 bucks a pop. Hopefully all this is to be able to rebuild a pump with quality parts instead of being robbed by Honda.

:moped: I think I would be installing a magnetised oil plug right away ! :moped:

:Egyptian: :Egyptian: I put an old set of drivers floor boards on it to see if I like them - if I do (and I'm sure I will) I will look at why my new (eBay) chrome floor boards do not fit :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

Replaced the rear brake line and fluid in the reservoir. Now the dang thing won't pump! :head bang: :rant: I got the pedal wedged down so maybe it'll clear itself like the front? :nea:

ok changed the fuel pump :builder: ,took off radiatercap.let run for a few minutes,filled up reseyvore, :builder took her for a little ride. :whistling: :moped: watched the temp.gauge it went between half and three quaters the whole ride. so i guess the system just had air in it.the only thing is she wants to run 65 and 70 or more. :moped: it was only 35 mile loop but i guessthat was good.

Spent the day cleaning, polishing and repainting parts I've removed from the scooter. :heat: It's gonna take a whole lot of these days. Stuffed rags in all the open tubes on the engine to keep the bugs and dirt dobbers out till reassembly. Got an email and a tracking number on the parts I ordered yesterday from Germany saying it was shipped today. Thought that was good service. Also got one on the pulley from "the beave". Most excellent service. :thank_you: :Egyptian:

OK I pulled the carbs AGAIN and replaced the "O" rings and washers for the pilot screws and reinstalled, it runs, just have to adjust them and sync. Had a death in the family so things will be slow for a while. (FYI: I have lost 14 family members since 2002. Only have 4 members older then I am now, and I keep my ticket in my back pocket now (to make it harder to get it punched) :roll: :music2: :music2: :music2:

Been chasing down and ordering parts all day locally. Received the 4" pulley and timing cap from beav, got the part I was searching for to fabricate the aluminum rear bumper for the scooter trailer out of and only had to order the rad hose and thermoswitch in and they will be here in the morning. One of the best "Mondays" I've had in a long time but at my age, any day you wake up breathing, is a good day. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Sorry for the loss, Bob....hard to handle sometimes.....

I spent part of the day yesterday cleanin the Turd up....so it can get rained on on the way home today.... :Awe:

have a new BAT on the way, the one in the bike started the bike easy (takes like one turn) after a fresh charge, but plan was not to shutdown and go for a quick scoot

it was a bit of a shakedown run after some recent tweaking, had run the tank to ~ 150 mile prior and wondered ~ when the reserve'd kick in

weelll felt so good, weather was a beaut ended up going a good half hour north max cruise speed was ~ 80 clicks (kph) on the country roads, then got on the main highway south for the return trip and settled into a ~ 65mph cruise

just before my exit brrrr brrrrrr :shock: engine quit, :head bang: realized right away i was running on reserve the whole time

couldn't believe it, prob coasted a few miles, including after the exit right to a gas station, including, :music2:

had to bust an advanced green turn signal (went straight), road then went downhill, then back uphill, only made that section cos i didn't stop

pretty much just had to get off at the entrance to the gas station to push uphill maybe 20 feet

wished i had 4 way flashers, no way to let folks in on what was going on as i was pulling weird stuff all over

so got gas but BAT was no good for a restart, was so lucky up to that point, had a good stretch of a mild downhill right there from the pump, figured i was good for a bump start

had ~ 3-4 shots at it, each attempt slowed me right down, and tried planting in the seat the last 2 ..didn't happen but was lucky to be able to get it right off the road, :Egyptian: even tho there was a curb there

anyhoo, got a boost to get it done, had to connect direct to the starter, thinking back now, mighta restarted had i killed the electrics right away..

:moped:

well the good news is had a look at the bike later, and just barely caught my eye, something at the left side exhaust pipe

i have slip ons with turn down tips that bolt on to the stock tailpipes, they are held on by a bolt each

last time i looked i was pretty sure the fit was seamless, looked now like there was a gap there that made me look closer

it was deff loose and needed tightening, on a longer trip ..thing coulda just fell off

maan, used bikes ya hafta go over every nut and bolt

82a":2koohley said:
well the good news is had a look at the bike later, and just barely caught my eye, something at the left side exhaust pipe

i have slip ons with turn down tips that bolt on to the stock tailpipes, they are held on by a bolt each

last time i looked i was pretty sure the fit was seamless, looked now like there was a gap there that made me look closer

it was deff loose and needed tightening, on a longer trip ..thing coulda just fell off

maan, used bikes ya hafta go over every nut and bolt
I about lost my fairing on a camping trip up north from loose bolts.

i'm gonna hafta go over those fairing bolts also, forks too, not positive yet but think a fork tube mighta moved up just a tad, pretty sure it was totally flush to start with

when i bought the bike one thing that jumped quick and big time, and i mainly looked at it at the time cos i was right there mounting some floorboards was

not only was the side-stand bolt loose, but considerably backed out

Latest posts