what did you do today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you're done scavenging, will there be enough of that Vmax's driveline left to make a one-seat three-wheel enclosed sportstrike??

Definition - Yamaha VMax: Zero to insane in less time that it took you to $#it your pants...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220229#p220229:1fwcqifw said:
DaveKamp » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:27 pm[/url]":1fwcqifw]
Definition - Yamaha VMax: Zero to insane in less time that it took you to $#it your pants...

:smilie_happy:

And that, dear friends, is precisely the point!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220216#p220216:2mlral3z said:
DaveKamp » Yesterday, 10:02 am[/url]":2mlral3z]
That's wierd. What kind of car is it? Any feathering of the tire tread anywhere? does it wobble and shimmy, dog-walk to the side, wander?

Old Saturn sedan. Tires don't seem unusual in wear.

Best way to describe the wobble is that if I take my hands of the wheel, it oscillates back and forth. Exactly as if there is play in the final drive or wheel.

When I had each wheel off, I did grab and yank on various components, and nothing seemed to have abnormal amounts of play other than the sway bar links. I carefully inspected each bolt and lug for damage or signs of failure. All surfaces that mate together were checked for fit. Everything should be torqued down to the correct value.

On the plus side, it's still going to be in the 40s next week for a high, so it shouldn't be too bad of a day to tackle each sway bar link. I did discover that they hid a 17mm wrench flat on the back side. I also discovered that either my 17mm wrench flexes, or the rusty link just rounds off.

---

Anyways, done yesterday: Wall mounted the new TV, shelf for the TV stuff, and some cord management channels for the power. Everything is so clean looking now.

Today: Fixed (in one sense of the word) the surface-mounted screen & storm door. Previous homeowner used a contractor who is out of business, and having seen the "quality" of their work, I can really see why that contractor no longer exists. I'm pretty sure there's rot in the door frame due to the poor quality of their work. I guess next year I'll caulk it and see if that prevents the problem getting worse.

So... here's one thing you might wanna do...

Floor jack it up high enough to spin each tire by hand. spin each tire, and look see if the tread zig-zags in some way that it 'shouldn't... or if it has a 'flat' or lump in it, as tires spins... (don't ask me how I know..." :head bang:

Here's my almost-done metrology station... 36 x 24 x 4" granite surface plate, with 8 steel cabinet drawers.

42 granite and cabinet in place.jpg

I made this entirely out of 6" x 2" steel drops that would've otherwise wound up getting recycled as scrap. Instead, I recycled them into a very necessary support structure for sensitive measuring equipment...

The granite slab is around 375lbs... the base about 250... cabinets will have another couple hundred in sensitive tools once done. Need to add jackbolts at the corners, make a storage cover for the granite, add gooseneck LED lamps, an inspection stereoscope of some type, and shelves in the back for the bench centers, long straightedge, bottles of dye, cleaner, etc.,

Saga said: "if I take my hands of the wheel, it oscillates back and forth."

Dunno why I didn't think of it before... but my 1200 does that, too...

Okay, so step back a couple'a feet here and think about this. Dan was spot-on about damper cartridges in the struts, the Saturn's suspension is very similar. Regardless of WHAT type of system (electronic, hydraulic, mechanical) Oscillation is about feedback, amplification, and phase shift. Damping, in EVERY system, reduces the amplification, extends the feedback, and restricts the oscillation.

If it has NO feeling of oscillation when your hands are on the wheel, then a tire out-of-round is not the problem. I suggested a lateral runout of the tire tread or wheel, because I experienced that problem with a brand new set of tires on my Ford pickup truck uh... three-and-a-half decades ago. Replacing one bad (brand new) tire solved it, and the lateral runout on both the rim and sidewall were invisible, but the skew in the tread was pretty obvious... over 0.250" on a dial indicator... and the tire place fought me right and left about it, I had to bring it to the manufacturer's regional office to get it replaced... I had to prove it, by putting the spare on in it's place, then moving that bad tire to the other side, moving the spare there... (PITA!)

The dynamics of a motorcycle wobble is much same as what you deal with in a car- they have caster (head tube angle, axle centerline offset, etc) to promote stability, except cars (having ackerman steering) camber in order to attain a proper rolling arc in turns. There's a certain amount of damping that occurs from the tread 'scrubbing' when in a straight line, so what we see in a motorcycle exists, but is not apparent, in automobiles.

I'm certain you've thoroughly checked it for looseness everywhere... it very well may be that slop that occurs with suspension loaded... doesn't occur with it jacked up. It ALSO may be... particularly if the car has power-assist rack-and-pinion, that there's enough slop in the rack, that the hydraulic assist servo is oscillating, and causing what you're feeling. ONE way to verify this, is to disconnect the power steering pump belt, and take it for a drive, see if it still oscillates.

I don't think the sway bar links are the culprit, but they do suck to work with, always rust and seize, I had to cut 'em off my wife's car with air cutoff tool and (mostly worn out... which is good, because it was a tight fit) disc, but fortunately, they're cheap and easy to install.

And after all that, it struck me...

Do you drive without your hands on the wheel often? (Two-handed tea drinking, with pinky finger extended) :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

(British answer: Only when I'm in the LEFT LANE... )

There's a feeling of oscillation when my hands are on the wheel.

Oh well, looks like like the new parts should arrive Monday by end of day. I'll swap it out Wednesday or Thursday assuming we don't get snow.

Hopefully I can do the struts at the same time. I'm cheap, er, oldschool - I don't do complete assemblies but swap the coils and top assembly to the new strut.

After a bit of time, and resorting to the angle grinder once, got the sway bar links out.

Probably took me about two hours on the bad side, and an hour on the "good" side to remove the two nuts holding each sway bar in place and swap in the replacement. I wish I was joking. The angle grinder doesn't really speed things up, since I wanted to keep the sway bar and that made things slow working in cramped quarters. I was working in true redneck shade tree style the whole time.

Slight improvement in rattling, maybe a bit in driving.

I was hoping to do just the struts, with the idea that the strut mounts should be so far above the road that there wouldn't be much exposure to winter salt. I dropped the driver's side strut out and realized that was a mistake. Didn't even attempt it. Have an order with the local parts shop for a new strut mount and strut bellows. Should be in tomorrow morning.

a little cool out at 41f with a 7mph breeze but i managed to get the handlebar risers and a mirror mount installed on the dream. the bar risers were needed to keep my knee from hitting the start button when turning

Attachments

• 20201210_164123.jpg
    20201210_164123.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20201210_164118.jpg
    20201210_164118.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 20201210_164110.jpg
    20201210_164110.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 95
I will say William that you do seem to have a fascination for these small machines. That’s what makes the world go around though, we all have our little niche that we gravitate towards. Me personally? I will ride heavy, powerful motorcycles until I am not able to hold them up. Then, I will consider smaller machines. Or maybe a tiny roadster.

My son did have 110cc Honda pit bike stored over here last summer. I putted around the neighborhood on it a couple of times. Fun bike, but limited utility.

Just an example of what I was dealing with.

The torx just stripped when I tried them. No surprise. I ended up cutting them off with the grinder.

Attachments

• IMG_20201210_123925074.jpg
    IMG_20201210_123925074.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 89
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220278#p220278:2ka3nukw said:
desertrefugee » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:09 pm[/url]":2ka3nukw]
I will say William that you do seem to have a fascination for these small machines. That’s what makes the world go around though, we all have our little niche that we gravitate towards. Me personally? I will ride heavy, powerful motorcycles until I am not able to hold them up. Then, I will consider smaller machines. Or maybe a tiny roadster.

My son did have 110cc Honda pit bike stored over here last summer. I putted around the neighborhood on it a couple of times. Fun bike, but limited utility.
if its at the house and starts up i'm riding it :)
when i bought this back around 2001 to get around the race track, it truly was a pit bike. i remember replacing the battery once then it just sat cause all the drag racing fun just came to a halt. JW asked about it a couple years ago and took it to his house and got it running again ( didn't take much ), did an oil change, cleaned the carb, and replaced the tires so once i bought it back home i didn't want it to sit and seeing it doesn't have the value of the CT 70's i would rather ride it

Took the Slug out to stretch her legs. Good thing! She had flat spots developing on her ties from sitting. A bumpy for the first few miles until rubber straightened out.

Well, I'm an idiot. It was the tires. Noticed a spot on the right tire that was worn to the bands. Guessing the rubber was thin enough to warm up and bulge at the spot.

Got the front tires swapped today with a pair of Nokia Hakkapeliitas, and the problem is gone.

(Also got an alignment done. Poor auto tech - tie rod end threads had rust welded themselves.)

Took a morning ride up to Cave Creek in The Hills. (On the Valkyrie). These morning rides into the hills in the summertime are desirable, but it was darn chilly this morning. 38 when I left the house! I never appreciated leather so much as I did today…

Latest posts