what did you do today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You posting a thread on the MC-5100 application, Ern? Looks cool... and depending on how it adheres, might be perfect for solving leaky aluminum rims... Living down a mile and a half of gravel, and in the salt-belt, well, ... it doesn't take long for the area 'tween tire bead and rim to get abraded, then oxidized, which means the tire won't seal anymore. Dismount tire, scrub off the oxide, coat it with SOMETHING, then reinstall tire with copious amounts of seal-goo, and hope for another year or two (sigh)... would MC-5100 make that a 4 or 5 year program instead?

Dave- CAT... anywhere there's a scale, I go... but we're not a division of Caterpillar... we were CAT long before they started using the short-version of their name.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220095#p220095:2h633cbf said:
DaveKamp » Today, 3:56 pm[/url]":2h633cbf]
You posting a thread on the MC-5100 application, Ern? Looks cool... and depending on how it adheres, might be perfect for solving leaky aluminum rims... Living down a mile and a half of gravel, and in the salt-belt, well, ... it doesn't take long for the area 'tween tire bead and rim to get abraded, then oxidized, which means the tire won't seal anymore. Dismount tire, scrub off the oxide, coat it with SOMETHING, then reinstall tire with copious amounts of seal-goo, and hope for another year or two (sigh)... would MC-5100 make that a 4 or 5 year program instead?

Dave- CAT... anywhere there's a scale, I go... but we're not a division of Caterpillar... we were CAT long before they started using the short-version of their name.

Don't think this would work to correct the issue. It is a good finish and nothing sticks to it, tried different types of masking tape and each slid off. I'm using it to protect the finish in out of the way spots, and hope it cleans up nicely. Have coated the rear and front fender undersides - will report back on this.

Today, I ran a load of rocks down to my dad's river frontage. I'm culling them out of a dozen dumptruck loads of black dirt originally from the area he excavated for building the addition for my mom's sewing room. Lots of really nice limestone, from two-hands-and-a-strong-back size, down to fist sized, they're excellent riprap for replacing what ice, flooding, and wave action have dragged away from his seawall.

D17 rocks.jpg

The tractor is a 1975 Allis Chalmers D17. 229ci OHV four, full pressure, 50-something horsepower at 1800rpm, and stupid-high torque at idle. I built the 3-point hitch adapter, and have a trailer reciever on it for shuffling this, and other trailers around.

Trailer is a Bri-Mar 6 x 12, with a pair of 3500lb axles and an electro-hydraulic hoist. Extremely handy, especially when one needs to move rocks at about two tons per trip...

A famed and beloved tradition in Chandler, Arizona. I was out for a putt today and swung by downtown Chandler for a bite and a beer. (Don’t shoot me for drinking a beer on a ride), but the ambience of the place begged for it. Anyway, here’s the fame tumbleweed Christmas tree that was nearby.

Attachments

• 2F6F168C-7306-40A5-A166-97E81BD06A79.jpeg
    2F6F168C-7306-40A5-A166-97E81BD06A79.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 69
Not today but yesterday,I took the carbs off the 1200.preparing it for single carb.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220161#p220161:1bje6xo5 said:
dan filipi » 55 minutes ago[/url]":1bje6xo5]
Not today but yesterday, gave away my daughter at her wedding.
I’m so happy for them.
Congrats Dan. Hope you were a bit teary eyed, I know I was when My daughter got married.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220161#p220161:2g6jecxr said:
dan filipi » Today, 5:35 pm[/url]":2g6jecxr]
I’m so happy for them.

Congrats, Dan! :party:

That'll be me in another oh... 10-15 years I suppose... but hey... You didn't 'give her away' so much as 'Adopt a new son'...

and with it...

Lay the groundwork for the expansion of your family... :hi:

I’m so happy for them.

Not today but yesterday,I took the carbs off the 1200.preparing it for single carb.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Dan wins. :good:

Congrats on the Wedding!

---

Today, inspected the passenger side wheel bearing in the car. Looked at the driver's side last week, replaced it, and it still drove like crap, so I swapped the old bearing back into place. Swapped the passenger side bearing with the new one, still drives like crap. It has new half-axles, yet it feels like either a half-axle or a bearing problem to me.

Going to order some sway bar links tonight, then replace those and the struts next. They need it anyways. Assuming that doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to have to throw up my hands and bring it to the experts.

I am getting remarkably proficient at remembering all the torque values. There's only three bolts holding on the wheel bearing, so I'm pretty exact about torquing those down to the correct values.

That's wierd. What kind of car is it? Any feathering of the tire tread anywhere? does it wobble and shimmy, dog-walk to the side, wander?

Fired up the '91 BMW K75RT to see if it is good enough to run for a season. 90k miles, sat indoors since 2011. Looks real good, appears to have been well cared for. Fresh oil and gas, started after 5 tries w/ half choke, would "idle" at 2k rpm, but it had a knock that sounds like a rod bearing. We let it (forced it) to run for 10 minutes in hopes of improvement, but no luck. It would rev easily but when slowed down the knock noise became obvious.
Next, we did a compression test, #1= 10 psi, #2= 152psi, #3=171psi. Squirted some oil in cyl#1, but since the cylinders are laying on their side I didn't have much hope...alas, no change. So this one goes back in the shed to have it's fate decided...just another day in 2020. Maybe the other 91 K75 will be in better shape motorwise.

Not much done on the 1200 front, but took the 1500 for a ride up island with heated liner plugged in to Chemainus - 7 deg C:
Chemainus 6.jpeg
Went for what I call my "grocery" ride to the Willow Street Cafe for scones - best on the island:
Willow Street Cafe Scones.jpg
The one on the left is an apple scone, the other a wild berry. Had coffee, a bowl of vegetable beef soup for lunch. Didn't need the heated liner plugged in on the way home - went up to 12 deg C.

I've been on supervisory duty at the office this and last week. This week's shift is 2:30pm 'till 10pm at the desk, answering phones and directing the team, and after I log out at 10, I'm on-call 'till 6am... so I've been spending the 10pm-3am or so span over in the company shop, turning scraps and drops into a sturdy table for supporting a granite surface plate, and a six-drawer cabinet and some shelves for my precision measuring tools 'n stuff. Pictures to follow later, I'm ALMOST done... we've had nice weather for the last week- below freezing at night, but sunny clear and dry during the day, so roads okay for 2-wheeling once the frost burns off. Not many riders out, as daylight hours are rather short, and there's plenty of wet leaves on roads, but Saturday and Sunday mid-day always has bikes in the parking lots of the pubs and parks... one of 'em might be me on sunday if I get caught up on all the other obligations!

… I looked on craigslist. I have to stop doing that.

Brought home another handful. First year Vmax (85). My fourth one! Joins my current ‘86. Needs everything, but has a lot of choice bits including extra chrome and an uninstalled full Kerker system. The exhaust alone is worth more than the $200 I handed the guy before putting it on the trailer! I could not, I repeat “could not” say no. A number of these bits will be making their way onto my 86.

Attachments

• 0BB8C407-D368-4826-B294-4D6AF39AD1DE.jpeg
    0BB8C407-D368-4826-B294-4D6AF39AD1DE.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 1D60DAAE-AF2A-4835-82A9-2F5D26A986BF.jpeg
    1D60DAAE-AF2A-4835-82A9-2F5D26A986BF.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 70
  • AEDC8DC5-5156-40DD-9228-A4477B7ED73F.jpeg
    AEDC8DC5-5156-40DD-9228-A4477B7ED73F.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 63

Latest posts