what did you do today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219982#p219982:sicyruc7 said:
Rednaxs60 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:04 pm[/url]":sicyruc7]
Boats and bikes, one little oops and it's - heigh-ho heigh-ho, it's off to the shop we go. :good:
:smilie_happy:

You can actually watch $100 dollar bills falling to the ground as the engine was lifted into the pick up truck! :smilie_happy:

Break out another thousand - BTDT. :Egyptian: Anything recreational.

Have the right side engine case in for a heli-coil. Steel bolt, crap in the threads and the aluminum lost. Letting me do more detailed work - switches and such.

Gerry- refresh my memory on which engine that is... I MIGHT have one... I have several of the Hercules-based Chris engines in my barn.

This week's 'do today' consisted of preparing a site and installing a new system...

Today, I drive to Cordele, Ga and prepare another site for same operation Tuesday, site opens Thursday...

Hmmm... okay, I don't think that worked right... just saw black boxes. Gonna resize and try again:

Attachments

• Baldwin1.jpg
    Baldwin1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Baldwin2.jpg
    Baldwin2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 71
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220005#p220005:34aqxgrw said:
mcgovern61 » Today, 7:16 pm[/url]":34aqxgrw]
Gerry- refresh my memory on which engine that is... I MIGHT have one... I have several of the Hercules-based Chris engines in my barn.

Dave, it is the KL engine, 105 hp.

So it's either a Hercules QXLD... 236ci... The LD means the long-stroke geometry. Typically, Hercules identifies them as QXLD-3 or QXLD-5, with the -x meaning the number of gears on the front end of the engine (industrials frequently have engine-driven accessories like mechanical governor, hydraulic pumps, secondary coolant or lube pumps, magnetos, etc.,

In industrial duty, they were rated 91hp, but in marine, the cooling is raw water, so lower inlet temp, and NO need for a mechanical fan, the commensurate reduction of parasitic load and increased heat-sinking capacity is what brought it to 105hp in marine trim.

I acquired a complete and free-turning QXLD power unit out of a John Deere combine harvester several years ago, and gave it to a friend to replace one in his Hough Payloader.

I'll check my Chris motors, and see if there's a KL-badged unit in there... I'm fairly certain there IS...

https://www.finewoodboats.com/Hercules Rebuild Parts.htm

Cool!

Well, I'm around quite a few Herkies. The biggest I have is a JXLD... 338ci six, in my 35kw Consolidated Diesel Electric branded Kato genset... 1200rpm... propane breathing torquemonster... Two mufflers, mounted inside the generator shed, it grumbles along and never flinches when something big kicks on.

The smallest Herc I've got, powers a genset with only 60ci... the Hercules ZXB tiny four cylinder. Cute little bugger, and runs SO nice...

Woke up in Cordele, Georgia this morning, and was at my jobsite at 9am. Pit had a few inches of water, mostly algae and trash, but certainly not bad. I started cleaning it out, and had it swept and drying rapidly in the sunshine. Put down the company paint colors and moved a whole bunch of other people's materials out of my work area. My truck drivers called in to confirm arrival before sundown, and they made it with an hour to spare. I got the sign system unloaded, assembled, and pre-wired, unloaded all the parts boxes, unpacked, placed, greased and preassembled everything into it's place. Crane will arrive at 7:45, with hook time of 8:30. Should go quick, as I've done about half the work already!

Yesterday I was setting plastic raceway and putting in USB cables for remote learning camera and monitor at a K-12 private school.

A 27” iMac facing the kids and teacher in the room is used for Zoom to the kids at home, a full motion camera follows the teacher around the room. Fun to watch the camera, kinda like there’s a little person in it.

Have already done over 50 rooms in the last months. About 20 to go.

"...Full motion camera follows around the room"

Dan- How does it know who to follow, and how does it do it?

I've got a sound studio in my basement for making instructional videos, and that's be really helpful for getting alternate angle footage...

Buzzard... how bad is 'messed up'?? My left ankle was giving me some fits before this trip... I was minding my own biz, working on several projects, and it just started happening... I would'a thought being on assignment, climbing in and out of these pits, that it'd be driving me nuts, but it feels a whole lot better... weird.

Yesterday's install went great- Crane had hook ready by 8:30am, I had all four deck modules set in place, and the sign stood up, crane packing up by 9:20, so 50 minutes of hook time. We had it assembled, adjusted, anchored, wired up, tested, and calibrated, and the crew was rolling out at 2:10pm... that was what 5hrs 40 minutes. Most guys start at 6am, and don't get done 'till 7pm, sometimes 8pm, but that's because they don't do the prep work like I do. Here's the first day:

When I arrive, they're usually wet, muddy, trashy. This one was actually pretty good:
View attachment 5

I start by clearing much of the fencing away so I have save access, then start cleaning... broom, pump out water, etc:
View attachment 4

Once I've got the floor started in drying, I lay out tape and apply company colors.
3 paint day 1 3pm.jpg

In the afternoon, if everything goes right for them, my trucks arrive carrying scale decks, sign, and parts. I borrow heavy equipment and lift the sign, poles, and parts kit off, the drivers usually help out by bolting the legs on, while I operate the machine (in this case, a telescopic forklift):
View attachment 2

I then take the drivers to dinner (they've had a long day, and need a break), once back, I start breaking out all my small parts, gather up packaging, place, grease, and preassemble everything and put it in it's place:
View attachment 1

If the conditions are dry and clear, and I have good lighting, I usually end my prep day with it looking like this:
6 site ready day 1 11pm.jpg

Attachments

• 1 arrive  Day 1 9am.jpg
    1 arrive Day 1 9am.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 2 clean  Day 1 11am.jpg
    2 clean Day 1 11am.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 4 assemble sign  day 1 4pm.jpg
    4 assemble sign day 1 4pm.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 5 place parts  day 1 8pm.jpg
    5 place parts day 1 8pm.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 112
If it all goes well, my second day starts with a 3 man crew arriving to a site that has literally nothing for them to do, except put their tools into the pit, and crack open the coffee, while the crane sets up:
7 crane arrived day 2 8am.jpg

A quick sign-in and plan with crane operator and rigger, and we're hooked up and lifting the first concrete/steel module. It is 24,500lbs, 21ft long, 11ft wide:
8 Module 4b in day 2 834am.jpg

The second module going in is almost identical to the first, same size and weight, it actually bolts to the first one, so it takes a few minutes of fussing to get the bolts lined up and locked down.
View attachment 5

On this site, we had to relocate the crane to other side of fuel island as the canopy was obstructing our reach, but the third module hooked up and went in quick- it is 14ft long, weighs only 19,500lbs.
View attachment 4

The last module is 26ft long, weighs 26,500lbs.
View attachment 3

Now we sling the sign (sorry, I had my hands full guiding it) by looping around the outside of the cabinet with endless nylon 20' slings. We've designed the sign cabinet specifically for this lifting method, and it is simple, fast, and safe. Once stood up on the bolts (which I verified with a proving template the prior day), dropping a washer and nut on just two studs, one on front, one on back side, is sufficient to prevent the sign from blowing over under any conditions, I signal 'wind down' to the crane, and as the slings' tension falls, I pull the far-side sling off the cabinet with my release rope, he swings the crane boom away to release the other.
View attachment 2
Then I signal crane op and rigger with 'wiped hands'... that means All Done! Then we pack up all the rigging, tools, etc., to relieve trip hazards, pack up the crane, and it was pulling off my site by 9:30am.

At that point, I start a mad race with my team- while they're standing up the scale decks on load cells, I'm pulling wire into the sign, connecting the intercom, video, and electricals, throwing breakers puts power to the sign lights and scale pit receptacle. They had it in position, with all the electronics wired up just a few minutes before I was done, I scampered inside, connected the scale instrumentation, and threw the power switch. By 11:30am, we had a talking, operating machine. Mechanical adjustments and anchoring everything down was complete by 1:40pm, and by 2:10pm, it was dialed in dead-on, using a 21,000lb self-propelled certified weight cart.

13 All done- day 2 210pm.jpg

Here's my team. Left to right- Me, Ryan, Jeff, and James:
14 - my team.jpg

I get to work with ace crews like this at every site, and it's an absolute pleasure to have them. Although I'm technically the foreman, I lead from the front, clearing everything from their path, making sure everything is clean, safe, ready, and in place for them, so that when they get into the battle, they can focus on what they do best. My philosophy, is that while I'm the foreman, the dude-in-charge, the 'boss'... and technically, their 'customer', THEY don't work for ME... I work for THEM. While I'm amidst my tasks up top, if they need something, they shout at me, and I bring it to 'em. I serve as eyes, and move the decks, measure gaps, etc., so they don't have to climb in and out... which makes their work much more efficient, much less fatiguing, and much faster. In the end, this translates to higher quality. Their day was done in under 6 hours, and they weren't wet, muddy, cold, and exhausted. Most of my peers will dismiss that as irrelevant, because we already contracted to pay them for a full day, but this is a failed philosophy to me- it is inconsiderate to them, as human beings, to subject them to circumstances which I could have mitigated. In doing what I do, I've had a remarkable effect on morale, which translates very directly to quality, not just for MY task, but for whatever they're faced with in the near future. It is not unlikely that sometime in the next day or two, one of them will get a latenight emergency service call to fix something broken down somewhere. It'll be dark, wet, cold, and they'll be alone tackling something, and by virtue of MY leadership here, they'll be more rested, focused, and effective under lesser conditions.

Today, I'm doing a few finishing tasks, and training the staff. Site opens at 7am tomorrow, and I plan on having everyone ready before the door unlocks, and shortly after, I'll start my trek home.

Attachments

• 9 module 4a in  day 2 842am.jpg
    9 module 4a in day 2 842am.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 10 module 1 in  day 2 906am.jpg
    10 module 1 in day 2 906am.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 11 module 2 in  day 2 914am.jpg
    11 module 2 in day 2 914am.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 117
  • 12  Sign in, crane done day 2 920am.jpg
    12 Sign in, crane done day 2 920am.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 117
No prob, Dave!

Truck scales are a whole lot simpler than all the things I used to work on. Aside from the fact that this thing is essentially three separate scales in one long pit, a scale instrument with software made-for-purpose, and a small army of people who work a judicious maintenance and support program, it's very ordinary.

Each scale deck sits on load cells- they're electronic strain gauges in the shape of a column, each cell sits in cups, one on top, one on bottom. There's a very slight radius on the top and bottom of the cell, and a slightly larger radius in the cup, so the result is that the cell WANTS to stand upright in the cups. A similar circumstance would be to put a ping-pong ball inside round-bottom ice-cream bowl... it will always roll to the center.

Here's what it looks like from underneath:
20201118_130409.jpg

The small round columns are called "Safety Piers"... we actually use them on installation, as the support surface while placing the decks in. This absolves us from having to put people beneath the load as we center it in the hole. I place the not-yet-needed receiver cups atop the piers, which allows the deck to slide around easily using pinch-bars, to center it long after the crane has gone. Once positioned, we use hydraulic jacks to raise the decks, install the cells and cups, etc.,

end bumper.jpg

On each end of the pit, are 'end bumpers'. These absorb shock from vehicles stopping, and starting, on the scale. Most of the adverse reactions on the scale deck are a result of drivers stopping and starting, and they're inherent to the circumstance of vehicle scales. The end bumper consists of a round contact plate, with an elastomer cushion, bolted to a backing plate, which is bolted to the scale deck. There's a steel column bolted to a plate embedded into the pit wall concrete, this column extends away from the wall, under the overhang of the deck, and provides a contact surface for the bumper plate as the scale deck moves towards the wall. The bumper assembly is shimmed (see the thin stainless plates?) to provide a 1/4" gap, so that the scale doesn't wind up touching the wall, as contact to the wall results in possibility of weight transfer, hence, inaccuracy.

Side bumper.jpg

On the back side of that beam, is a side-bumper plate, which consists of a bracket holding a bolt, whose head is shimmed within 1/8" of a block welded to the deck main beam. this restricts side-to-side motion. Notice the bracket is bolted to a plate embedded into the wall, the far end of the plate bears against the wall, too... so the main force of this bumper isn't transmitted through the bolts, it's transmitted into the sidewall. that embedded plate is actually has a 90 degree angle... it wraps around the wall, to provide solid and flat surface.

The reason for these gaps being adjusted close, is so that the kinetic energy of the decks, and whatever is ON it... cannot go high enough to hammer it to bits. Imagine swinging a 16lb hammer over your head, and down onto a rock... you'll smash it easily. Now, I will hold the head of that hammer a half-inch above that rock, and when I let go, you push down as hard as you can, and try to break the rock.... You can't, because the hammer has reached the rock BEFORE acquiring any significant velocity. Energy = Mass x Velocity x Velocity... and I've taken away the ability to acquire velocity.

Double pier.jpg

Since there's three actual scales (one for Steer, one for Drive, and one for Trailer), there HAS to be a space between the decks to allow them to work independently. This is the pier between two modules, and the linkage which allows them to work together, while weighing independantly.

SSC.jpg

And here's the magic box of electronics that the load cells are connected to. There's one of these for every two load cells, they have a dandy little processor-laden circuit board that shares a communication line with the rest, to talk to the magic box inside that does all the math:

fueldesk.jpg

And it does all the rest... including video, running the printers, and putting prompts on the screen. We develop our own interface specific to our business operation, so that the person operating, doesn't need to know all the intricate gotchas of how scales do what they do... we automate the process so the number of mistakes they COULD make, are extremely limited. Any other system has too many buttons, and too many functions that require an operator to know too much irrelevant information... like a tool with too many complicated adjustments and controls. Ours is for-purpose, very easy, very obvious to operate. It tells the operator exactly what to say, and prompts them specifically for the answer, walks them through every step... that's how we roll.

Well, considering I actually did TWO installs on this trip (first one up in Baldwin, FL, the other in Cordele, Ga)... plus the driving, yeah... but I guess I've done worse.

Forgot the most important picture:

Opening.jpg

The picture I took for the company's social media opening announcement...

Latest posts