What the heck!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

made2care

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
2003 bmw r1200c
84 gl1200
Building another bike. Gl1200 and had to put a new wiring harness in. Press starter button and nothing. Do have power when ignition is turned on. She’s in neutral.
Have a test light on solenoid. 2 thick red wires are good.. constant power. Both rear wires ( red/green, red/yellow) light up when I press starter button. I thought only one is supposed to light up.
Will keep checking

What year is the new project? With the number of projects you've done, the following is probably well known.

The two red wires will always be live, direct battery connection.

The yellow striped wire is from the starter switch and should register battery voltage when you push the starter button and it is grounded.

The green striped wire is the ground through the clutch diode. It should have battery voltage on it when the starter button is pressed. If not, the switch inside the starter solenoid is faulty. The starter solenoid operates the same as an automotive relay.

Check the cable to the starter when you press the start button. Should be battery voltage at the starter. If not the starter solenoid may be pooched.

Try starting with the clutch lever pulled in tight. If the starter engages, you could have a faulty clutch diode.

Good luck

Okay…. Will get back at it and let you know. Never had this issue.
1984 wiring harness in 83 frame and I believe the engine is an 84. I know… sounds nuts but this is what I bought 😀

Solved… the transplanted wiring harness did not have a clutch diode . Po clipped it off. I have a donor bike and transferred diode to this bike and she fired up!
Now… I’m embarrassed to ask this question, especially since I’ve restored many wings but have never started one with the valve cover off. Does oil circulate through the valves? I forgot one of the valve covers was off the bike and quite a bit of oil dripped out. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 50EC8D1B-2250-4DE9-9371-7BFA7FCC3AB7.jpeg
    50EC8D1B-2250-4DE9-9371-7BFA7FCC3AB7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
dont use gasket sealant anywhere it can get inside the engine. it will stop up the minute passages. if you werre actually doing restorations, you would know restored means just like OEM. no sealant.

Well…. I’m 0 for 2.
Back story… I purchased two bikes for a mere $200. First has a water pump leak and second has milky oil … runs great but latte oil is not good.
Looking at the positive… I have lots of parts to build another bike and an extra 1200 engine lying around ( not sure of its history).
Anyway…. Pressing forward and having fun :)

Latest posts