What's it worth?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A customer wants me to sell this '76 GL1000 LTD for him.
55K miles, all there but has been sitting under a tarp for years.
2 cylinders have zero compression and the other 2 have 70# and 90#.
It would take a LOT of work to put this one back on the road. To me, it's worth very little but I'd like your opinion.

IMG_0023.JPG

Zero compression can be a dropped valves and if so could it have ruined a cylinders? would be better to have low compression then "0". Bike looks pretty decent from here..I would guess 1000 to 2000, a fan of the LTD may pay 1800 to 2K...If you have the tool kit and manual I have seen them bring 500-900 alone for just those items, there was a bidding war once where a tool kit brought well over a thousand..think it was 12 or 14 hundred but it also had the key fob as well.

Likely needs carb work, brake work, master cylinders, head gaskets and maybe a few valves. That's the short list.
To me the value of that work needed is at least $1200 maybe more which puts the bike value at just a few hundred. At best.
Just my opinion. A lot of time and parts needed.

Without even blinking an eye there is $1000 worth or parts/work that needs to be done. That is not including work on the heads. (Again, assuming stuck valves, but not blown pistons).

BUT, for about $1500 work, someone would have a nice bike with about equal resale after.

I watch the market pretty closely and think you would probably come out better just parting it out. Otherwise you probably got non runner worth a few hundred bucks. I see nice looking oldwings supposedly road ready only bid up to $1200 to $1500 on Ebay for example. There are many asking for better prices which for the most part seem reasonable, but they end up with 0 bids at end of the auction. That being said, Ebay is the bargain hunting flea market of of sales tools. I do much better on Craigslist on both sides of a deal.

Agreed on Ebay being the lower price place to get a bike. We still have an '81 at a friends house that needs work but is in fairly decent shape. Has been sitting 3 years with bad carbs and tank. Since sitting, fork seals leaking, brakes frozen, tires have a flat spot (were brand new tires too!), other old rubber needs replacement.

Easily, $1000 worth of parts and repairs even if they give us the bike.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174565#p174565:3g1mo9dr said:
Terry » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:25 pm[/url]":3g1mo9dr]
I watch the market pretty closely and think you would probably come out better just parting it out.....

I tend to agree.
I think I'll offer him $200, sell the LTD-specific items off of it and use some of the other parts for my '75 project.
Wish it had the oem tool kit but it does have the owners manual.
Wonder why Honda bothered to chrome plate the kick start lever when it's not seen?