Which would you keep; 1100i or 1200 LTD

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chitreano

Reaction score
I just acquired two bikes; an 82 1100i, and an 85 1200 LTD. Both have been stored for 5-6 years. I plan to keep one and sell one. Both will need approximately the same resto work. Which would be the better bike to keep and which to sell, and why?

i think i would have to know more about the bikes and conditions of each one to answer this question. Is the 85 fuel injected, what about the miles on each one, condition of tires, faring condition on each one, ect....can you give some details please on the bikes.....

For me the LTD would be the keeper if it wasn't in too bad shape...Both bikes have good highway gearing, I would first get the 1100 running because it is worth less in as is condition but if you can start it it would bump the price up.
The LTD I think has the fuel injection if I remember right, thats a plus, havent heard anything bad about fuel injection. Think also a longer wheelbase, if true then better ride.
Welcome to the forum.

Both are in very acceptable condition and good candidates for resto. The LTD is fuel injected. I'm not sure on the miles as I bought them "as is" and the battery is dead, thus no odometer. Both have weather cracked tires and will need tank flushing etc. I want one of these as a daily rider to keep miles down on my 1800..

I would disconnect the fuel supply and clean or replace everything from the closest connection point on the fuel rail to prevent getting any junk in there.
Sort of new territory bringing a fuel injected system back to life.
Caution a must.

Good advice, I'd say 1200, but fuel injection can become more expensive for parts, parts are going to get scarcer, and diagnosis of problems is more complicated. The 1100 is probably the easiest to work on.

this is the reason i ask about the 1200, i didn't know if someone maybe had changed the carb system from the fuel injection...for me i would keep the 1100, as posted before, parts are cheaper, easier to work on, and parts are easier to get. The 1200 would be a better ride but it is going to cost more in the long run to keep it going, as these old parts do fail at some point, hard to get sometimes, and more costly if you can find what you need, thus carb problems, sensors, ect.... If your just riding it to keep miles of your 1800, i would fix up the 1100, and probably would think about just parting out the 1200 and selling those for parts to buy for the 1100 and some extra cash maybe. I don't like doing that, but i won't work on another 1200 ltd myself..due to hard parts to get at most times. I sold my last LTD carb to Steve 83 on here, it was a good set, but it was my last dealings with that year model, unless they are just plain carbs. This is only my 2 cents worth, some others may feel different about this.

Brian, I did a search on "converting to a standard" and really didn't find anything. What does that mean and entail? What is involved? Thanks

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138632#p138632:1p6n45s6 said:
Chitreano » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:29 pm[/url]":1p6n45s6]
Brian, I did a search on "converting to a standard" and really didn't find anything. What does that mean and entail? What is involved? Thanks
Its where you remove the stock faring and saddlebags and install a standard headlight,turn signals ect ..It wont be a touring bike and you will eat some bugs..some people like that.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138632#p138632:1farmsq1 said:
Chitreano » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:29 pm[/url]":1farmsq1]

This is the Interstate:
HONDA%20GL1100%2081%20%20inte.jpg

This is the Standard:
Honda%20GL1100%20%2080.jpg

Standards are also referred to as Naked, and they can be a LOT of fun because they are about 200 pounds lighter - could be more depending on how much extra stuff your 1100 has.

The hardest thing to find for the conversion is the headlight and front turn signals... Gerry will attest to that.

I've pieced together an '85 1200 engine with fuel injection from eBay parts, and a few from guys on this forum. It's mounted on a stand, not in a bike, but it runs. If you decide to keep the 1200, I'll gladly help you chase down any issues. Here's my thread on the build:

https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=6903

I wish you were closer - what a great project it would be!

FYI, if you keep the '82 and convert to Standard, you could also do what I did which is Standard with a windshield, the bags and trunk. It gives the bike a more open look (and lightened it up almost 40 lbs).

From this:

image.php

To this:

image.php

I like the ride of the '85, real comfy! BUT, it is really hot on your feet in the summer since the hot air from the engine hits your feet. At least that was my experience with an '85 LTD.

image.php

I'd keep them both. The 82 will feel a bit more peppy due to gearing but the 1200 has a very nice ride and a quieter valve train. Lots of ways to keep them running and modify either one.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138629#p138629:1yjjs3qs said:
brianinpa » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:10 am[/url]":1yjjs3qs]
Personally, I would convert the 1100 to Standard and keep the the 1200 stock, thereby keeping them both, but I fully encourage MBS.

Welcome to Classics!
+1 :good:
Standard-Naked. No fairings, headlight bucket and flashers on arms :moped:

IMHO, with only 5000 produced, the LTD is rapidly becoming a museum piece. For a daily ride, I prefer the 1800 but if you want to keep the miles down on it (mine has over 93000 on an '06 and still runs like new), I'd suggest the 1100 - as parts for it are much more available on short notice. If you don't mind letting it set for a couple months, the LTD has more toys on it (some the 1800 doesn't have). I traded an SEi in for my 1800 and never looked back. It was a great bike, but nothing approaching the 1800.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138618#p138618:2v8ku7c1 said:
Chitreano » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:12 pm[/url]":2v8ku7c1]
I just acquired two bikes; an 82 1100i, and an 85 1200 LTD. Both have been stored for 5-6 years. I plan to keep one and sell one. Both will need approximately the same resto work. Which would be the better bike to keep and which to sell, and why?

You don't sell goldwings, you buy goldwings!

Phase 1: Purchase vintage Hondas; Phase 2: ?????; Phase 3: Profit

Latest posts