Why did Honda change Wheel Sizes?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodrock

Reaction score
My '80 GL1100 has an 18" front wheel instead of the original 19" (PO mod at some point), and the stock 17" rear.

A guy on craigslist was parting out an '82 GL1100, and I picked up a spare 76K engine (for $50), and also got the front 18" wheel/tire, and rear 16" wheel/tire ($20 for both and assorted miscellaneous). I really just wanted the rear because it had good rubber and thought it was the same size as the one on my '80, and the guy through in the front with the deal. I didn't find out until I got home that my bike had a 17" on the rear.

I researched years and wheel sizes on 80-83, and found that Honda used a 19” front and a 17” rear from 80-81, and an 18” front and 16” rear from 82-83. Why did they change? I think they might have went to smaller diameter wheels/tires to improve handling response, but that's a guess.

If it's advantageous to switch, I want to find out whether that 16” rear is a “plug and play” bolt in unit, and if it affects gear ratios. I also got the final drive unit from the ’82, but that could just be one factor in the equation. If Honda used the same trans and final drive throughout however, it’d be simple to convert over. That said, my existing 17” rear tire is essentially new, and I’d want to use that up first.

They did some of the changes for cost reasons... a lot of the 82's and later across the honda line.. the wheel size went smaller diameter and wider profiles.. also the 1100 underwent some gear ratio adaptations for the the 82 and 83.. now Joedrum has put an 83 tranny iirc in his 1100 and has run both the 16 and 17 on his... without change rear drives... He could best answer that... I would stick with the 17 even if you swap motors.. being larger diam it will give you more speed vs rpms... in other words at the same speeds your rpms will be less.. less work on the motor less stress on it.. some mpg gain...some not huge but an increase..

yes plug and play it is....but there is one problem the 80-81 swingarms are different also ...and the tire will rub the swingarm ...but it it might fit ...if i were you id go get the swingarm from the partd bike and switch it out the tire selection and availability is better in this size for sure :mrgreen: all the parts swingarm and all are plug and play

I swapped the 80 rear tire for an 82 and wound up ruining the 82 tire sidewall. Also rwappwd the front out with the 82 found the engine reving higher at lower speeds. swapped them back to stock, then bought new replacements in stock sizes :oops: :oops: :oops:

the 82-83 swingarms have different drivshafts and collars to accommidate the 16" rear wheel ....the 80-81 swingarms are not going to allow the 140-90-16 tire to clear without rubbing ......and with the 16" wheel and 80-81 motor you have the lowest geared possible 1100 ....the 82 1100 is geared different and the 83 is geared different than the 82 ....they are both taller in 5th gear ..... :mrgreen:

joedrum":1ptzke1s said:
with the 16" wheel and 80-81 motor you have the lowest geared possible 1100 ....the 82 1100 is geared different and the 83 is geared different than the 82 ....they are both taller in 5th gear
Hmmm, just want to make sure that I'm clear on this one Joe :headscratch: I had thought when I bought the '82 motor, that I'd have an identical spare powertrain that I could throw in should the need arise. After reading your post however, it looks like the motor might be the same, but the gearing in the trans is different, ie, taller/higher.

That being the case, maybe the later '82 trans coupled with my stock 17" wheel wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Seems like I'd have a little slower acceleration, but lower rpm's for crusing. Does that sound right, or am I just whistling :whistling: Dixie?

Thanks, John

woodrock":3kaqp2bo said:
joedrum":3kaqp2bo said:
with the 16" wheel and 80-81 motor you have the lowest geared possible 1100 ....the 82 1100 is geared different and the 83 is geared different than the 82 ....they are both taller in 5th gear
Hmmm, just want to make sure that I'm clear on this one Joe :headscratch: I had thought when I bought the '82 motor, that I'd have an identical spare powertrain that I could throw in should the need arise. After reading your post however, it looks like the motor might be the same, but the gearing in the trans is different, ie, taller/higher.

That being the case, maybe the later '82 trans coupled with my stock 17" wheel wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Seems like I'd have a little slower acceleration, but lower rpm's for crusing. Does that sound right, or am I just whistling :whistling: Dixie?

Thanks, John
Sounds right to me.

it will be fine as its got the same first gear as 80-81 have .....the 82 has the 16 inch wheel giving it the lowest geared oldwing made in first gear....be no problem on take off ....i think its forth and fifth gear thats taller on the 82 .....so you will be fine in the gearing department .... :mrgreen:

Hello you fine people,,back in the early 80 the speed limit went to 55 so the Honda people changed up some gears in the tail end of motor and played with rear tire sizes..
But thats what i have picked up.. Maybe i'm right or wrong...

Latest posts