Withdrawal after selling my 82 GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I filled the reservoir with a little coolant (there was some in there already). After riding for about 5-10 min the fan was still not coming on and I was getting worried, But a little later the fan came on just fine.

The fuses are fine so it must be the 'regulator'. The fuel gauge, temp gauge and neutral light are not working. Also, even when the bike is in neutral I still have to press in the clutch to start. It starts first kick.

I cleaned up the bike of surface rust: naval jelly rust removal and light rubbing with a tooth brush works excellent for surface rust. Deeper stuff also comes off but requires a little more work and time.

I will post some pictures tomorrow!

Thanks and this GL is not getting sold. There is a ton of old wings for sale in Michigan and the prices are decent.

Simba

I hear ya, I just bought a 1982 Aspy with the heel toe shifter, hated it at first, but then adapted, works nice now for me.

Okay my fuel/temp gauges not working. I found a loose red wire coming from the headlight cluster not attached to anything coming into the faux tank. i will take a picture tomorrow---is it possible this may be coming from the 7V regulator? Where should it be attached to?
Thanks
Simba

Never know what a prior owner has done, that red wire could lead anywhere.

I'd suggest pulling the seat and false tank and take a look at all the wiring. Follow that red back.
Someone said they found the 7 volt regulator unplugged, could be that easy.

if Honda pretty well kept to their wiring color codes, which I think they did, an 84 1200 elect. schematic shows a black/brown wire off your main fuse box going to 7 volt regulator, this black/brown also feeds fuel, oil, overdrive and neutral lights. the green/black out of 7 volt regulator feeds fuel, temp and thermo unit, and the solid green goes to ground, so somewhere around there should be where you find the problem.

thanks all,

I don't think this loose red wire is anything, but i will follow it.
Where would I find the 7V regulator---and do I have to take anything off to find it.
Is is part of the guage cluster on the back side of it or would be in the headlight assembly.
Sorry for the stupid questions. If somebody could post a picture of their bike with an arrow I would be grateful.

yesterday, after a 15 minute drive the fan came on. today not. God I would hate to overheat this thing. Is there a way to know if the water pump is working. The bike does not appear to be overheating at all, but how do I know?
Thanks
Simba

simbaboy, I apologize for assuming Honda does anything the same way, as the wire colors I gave to you a couple if post ago is all wrong. The service manual for 80-83 1100, shows whi/red from power source to 7 volt regulator which is located on the rear of the fuel-temp gauge housing. From the regulator, a grn/blk wire feeds the temp gauge, temp sensor, fuel gauge and fuel level gauge. Green wire to ground. This is from the manual, Chapter 18 pages 24 thru 26. Again, I apologize for my error. Good luck on locating the problem.

Thanks Backlander/Dan,

I looked at the owners manual and I FOUND WHERE THE AIR FILTER IS LOCATED!!!!!!!
You may laugh but for me that is a major first---that is why mechanic loves me.
Anyhow, took off the wingnut and the black plastic housing thingy and got the air filter out. It looks dirty. But more importantly I found a collection of seeds. No mice.

I don't think the owner who passed away rode the bike much in the last few years before the seller who got it from the estate sell sold it to me. (That is what you get with a public education from Santa Monica High School and Pierce College--a major runoff sentence that you have to read twice).

The bike has felt sluggish. Today I did the ATF treatment and went for a good 20 mile ride. I rode it hard but was concerned about the temp gauge not working and only seeing the fan run once yesterday. I rode it hard today but never saw the fan come on. The bike was running a touch better on the way home. I could easily get my previous GL1100 to 80MPH, but this one gets to 70MPH after a few seconds and then I get scared I a may overheat the bike. But if the water pump and fan were not working the bike would be dead by now.

The bike is shining up. I will get more time to clean and take pictures. Once I receive the side cover from Mike in Canada I will think about doing my thing--painting!

I was looking for the 7V regulator and found the air filter instead. Life is good!

Simba

It is not needed for the fan to come on at highway speed. The faster you go, the more ram air there is across your radiator, there is a good heat exchange (assuming the thermostat is working correctly). If the thermostat wasn't working, the engine would have heated up real quick. The fan normally only comes on when you are stop and go and the engine gets a chance to heat up. If the water pump wasn't working, you would have long ago burned the engine!

On the side of caution though, the sooner you get a look at that 7 V regulator and get those gauges working, you lesson the risk of overheating. Worst case scenerio, if the gauge cannot be made to work, you install a manual temp gauge.

I think there are a lot of guys don't understand the importance of the radiator air deflectors.
If the Honda fairing is run without lowers the ram air effect is almost completely removed. Those deflectors aren't very good to begin with.
I run the standard model deflectors as well as the lowers.
In the hottest temps outside it will run below 1/2 gauge scale at any speed above 30-40 mph.

I had written a whole bunch, went to get a pic and lost my draft.

anyhow, thanks guys for your help.

I do need to replace the air filter and do an oil change.
This I can--man I am a genius!

How difficult is it to change the coolant and what kind of coolant do you use? Its a standard GL1100 without front fairing.

Thanks,
Simba

Attachments

• P1200968_800x600.jpg
    P1200968_800x600.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 199

Attachments

• Honda.jpg
    Honda.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 198
Thanks Gerry,
There seems to be consensus that the 7V regulator should be inside the black rear of the cluster; please see picture.
if I am wrong let me know. Do I have to loosen the speedo and the other cable?
thanks
Simba

Attachments

• cluster1photo.JPG
    cluster1photo.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 190
After some naval jelly to remove surface rust and use of some chrome polisher:
Thanks
Simba

Attachments

• shiny1photo.JPG
    shiny1photo.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 188
  • shiny2photo.JPG
    shiny2photo.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 188
mcgovern61":3pszfiyd said:
Looking good! That is a lot of aftermarket chrome goodies! I may be wrong, but I think they are GL1000 valve covers. :clapping:

Thanks. I went to the paint store to get some inspiration. Imagined what the bike would look like in different schemes---I know I don't want yellow since done that already.

looked at blue, red, etc but walked out with 2 cans of flat black. I know its been done many times on different bikes including GL, but I want to give it a try. If nothing else it will serve as a sandable base coat.

I put my 'John Deere' Honda Twinstar up for sale on CL. A local guy saw the ad, was impressed by the effort, and wants to give me his running Honda CM400E for $400. I have not quite seen it but I will offer him $300 and a brand new leather jacket that was gifted to me but does not fit. I hope he takes the deal. Any thoughts.

Here are pictures of my bike (the 'Deere') and his CM400E.

Plan is to look for the 7V regulator tomorrow.

Thanks
Simba

Attachments

• 3photo.JPG
    3photo.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 180
  • cm400IMG_20120605_133639.jpg
    cm400IMG_20120605_133639.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 181
dan filipi":348i4bom said:
Polishing up real nice there Simba :music:

Thanks Dan.
The GL1100 looks like a beast of a bike in terms of size (compared to my other bikes) and I think it might look nice it flat black. Any thoughts and examples by forum members here?
Thanks
Simba