Withdrawal after selling my 82 GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simbaboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am back and hurting bad. I sold my GL to Kevin who recently joined here. I am going tomorrow to see one in Northern MI. The bike is a 1982 GL1100 with over 63K miles. Apparently, it has new tires and runs well.
The owner is not budging from his price of $1250. So chanced are if I like it I am picking it up at that price. It is the stock maroon color.

Let me know what you think of this price. I know its hard to tell without actually being there. I have enough experience now that I can make a reasonable opinion. The seller sounds honest on the phone. He said he has patched up the seat and the Right side cover is missing. I gave my entire set of extras to Kevin so hopefully i might be able to buy back from him.

Keep you all posted.
Simba

That sounds like an OK price as long as it's in pretty decent shape otherwise, ie little rust, complete and shiny exhaust, no leaks, running good and quiet, paint only slightly faded and everything works.

Thanks Friends,
I will let you know tomorrow what I find.
Dan I spent a few years in Van Nuys--attended Pierce College before transferring to UCLA. I got good memories of The Valley, for sure for sure.
Thanks,
Simba

dan filipi":dz85lfha said:
"Valley girl, she's a valley girl.

OK fine, fer sure fer sure, she's a valley girl and there is no cure"

:smilie_happy:

The Galleria in Sherman Oaks ruled the day as did Pac-Mac! I remember being on the RTD buses for hours just to get from Sepulveda to Pierce College. Riding the bus to UCLA was not fun. Riding back to home was worse. I-405 drove me away from CA to Michigan (not really), but almost.

Simba

there is a gl 1500 for sale on the lsn .in cookville tn for 2800. i can get the numberif needed.it dosen't look bad though pictures can make them look better than they are ,but they say it runs good.

Hello Friends,

Went to see the bike. Before I got there again asked seller to consider a lower price but he was adamant that he was not going to lose money on the deal. He said he bought it at a estate sale for $1000 and had new tires put in. Sure enough the tires were brand new. He also offered to have me meet his mechanic who lived a few doors down. There was no need once I saw the bike. I was happy to pay him what he asked:$1250.

The bike is full of positives: The motor is excellent, the bike shifts perfect, it runs and rides perfect. Needs air in the suspension--ha,ha I learned a lot from you guys from my previous GL1100 purchase that I recently sold to RevyKevy here.
When I asked the seller the poor guy says I had to take it to a dealer to have air put in the rear air suspension. He never saw the nozzle. But he was a very good honest guy. I never would have known that either but for this forum.

The brakes are very good with all lines looking great.

All the lights and turn signals work perfectly and the wires are nicely laid out. This is very unlike the wiring disaster of the last GL.

So mechanically the bike is very good. Cosmetically this bike is good and has easy excellent potential. The paint is hardly faded, but knowing me I will change it to a blue in the future.

NEGATIVES: The fuel gauge does not work. The temp gauge does not appear to work. I went for a 5mile ride the needle did not move. The neutral light does not come on. The bike starts first try but requires the clutch to be pressed in even if the bike is in neutral. I will need help addressing these as I go along.

Here are a few pics.

Thanks all
Simba

Attachments

• P1200955_800x600.jpg
    P1200955_800x600.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 257
  • P1200956_800x600.jpg
    P1200956_800x600.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 256
  • P1200961_800x600.jpg
    P1200961_800x600.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 259
  • P1200962_800x600.jpg
    P1200962_800x600.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 258
  • P1200963_800x600.jpg
    P1200963_800x600.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 256
  • P1200966_800x600.jpg
    P1200966_800x600.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 257
  • P1200968_800x600.jpg
    P1200968_800x600.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 257
dan filipi":jiedvqq8 said:
Sweet, looks like you did get a very good deal!

Dan, the last GL had a few issues that somebody who was wrencher could fix. I don't have these skills, but will eventually get better. This bike is already there mechanically.

I am trying to source a Right side cover. Somebody help!

Also, this bike has a toe-heel shifter which I did not like the first minute or two of riding it. But now its okay. I wonder how difficult it would be to change it to regular shifter pedals?

Thanks
Simba

mwbill37841":2uzscqh6 said:
nice looking wing ,from what i gather the plastics are getting hard to find and costly. good luck .

When I sold my last GL1100 I included a whole extra set of fenders and covers and an extra faux tank. I am hoping Kevin will sell me back the R side cover. But I can't find him. I will send him a PM.

Thanks
Simba

Nice catch! :clapping:

Those gauges not working is more than likely the fuse (underneath that owners manual). Heel toe shifter is easy to convert back to original pegs (take notice that the original shifter is still there under the heel toe front pad shifter fork).

mcgovern61":2bzapumj said:

Those gauges not working is more than likely the fuse (underneath that owners manual). Heel toe shifter is easy to convert back to original pegs (take notice that the original shifter is still there under the heel toe front pad shifter fork).

Thanks---this would be the easiest fix if its just a fuse. Please let it be this!
Original shifter still there? I gotta look tomorrow AM!
As always you are all the best
Simba

I would be a tad concerned untill i see the water temp guage move - are you certain it has antifreeze in it?

I have a few sets of side covers - they are not so pricey on the 1100's let meknow if you dont find one I will give you a good deal (even though you turned my deal for the yellow bike down) :music:

With those Markland Floor Boards (I have a set for sale BTW) you really do need the heel toe shifter, without it, it will be really awkward for shifting (generally have to drop the shifter one notch with this type of H.T. Shifter). I tried a set on my 1200 two days ago and noticed the shifter pedals seemed a bit high and had I not elected to purchase a proper set of GL1200 floor boards I would have modified them with a bracket that drops them down a couple of inches to just above the floor board level.

BUT that is a sweet looking bike and judging by what you did with the last one I am certain thi one wil come out great as well!!

simbaboy":1hakbmsv said:
mcgovern61":1hakbmsv said:

Thanks---this would be the easiest fix if its just a fuse. Please let it be this!
Original shifter still there? I gotta look tomorrow AM!
As always you are all the best
Simba

The fuel AND temp gauges not working could also be a problem with the 7v regulator, located on the front side of the gauges, behind the headlight. Mine(gauges) did not work when I bought it, either, and that is what I found...mine was simply unplugged, for some reason. I plugged the regulator in, and both gauges have been working fine for 4 years now. A fuse would certainly be an easier fix!

btw...you got a dang goood deal on the 'Wing!

You are all great---I will look at the fuses in a bit and let you know what I find. The next step might be the 7V regulator?
Also, thanks for the reminder to look to make sure there is coolant. When I brought the bike home yesterday I was excited to go for a ride and I only looked at the oil level before starting to ride. I will make sure I hear the fan running also today.

I need that R side cover--its driving me crazy. Hey Horder---I sent you a PM. Sell me one ASAP so your wife doesn't get you committed!

Thanks All,
Simba

p.s Kevin---sell me all the extras you got with the bike I sold you and you can get some cash back! The shifting does get better after a few miles of riding. Also, warming the bike up on the centerstand and shifting all gears helps also.

1060dsl":1w9ym347 said:
I would be a tad concerned untill i see the water temp guage move - are you certain it has antifreeze in it?

I have a few sets of side covers - they are not so pricey on the 1100's let meknow if you dont find one I will give you a good deal (even though you turned my deal for the yellow bike down) :music:

With those Markland Floor Boards (I have a set for sale BTW) you really do need the heel toe shifter, without it, it will be really awkward for shifting (generally have to drop the shifter one notch with this type of H.T. Shifter). I tried a set on my 1200 two days ago and noticed the shifter pedals seemed a bit high and had I not elected to purchase a proper set of GL1200 floor boards I would have modified them with a bracket that drops them down a couple of inches to just above the floor board level.

BUT that is a sweet looking bike and judging by what you did with the last one I am certain thi one wil come out great as well!!

You are absolutely The Man! I sent you an email.
Thanks Thanks Thanks
Simba