Withdrawal after selling my 82 GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

I received a Right side cover in the mail today (thanks Mike) and quickly did first coat of paint. I will wet sand and repaint and repeat a couple of more times.

Then, off to family vacation, etc for three weeks.

Thanks all

Simba

Attachments

• sidecover1photo.JPG
    sidecover1photo.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 159
Hello Simbaboy man the john deere looks awesome are you the one that painted it? then the two side covers damm sharp... and you newer one all shining, i need to do mine like that.. keep it up very good work you have done later

South Tx Wingman":uk43c5dc said:
Hello Simbaboy man the john deere looks awesome are you the one that painted it? then the two side covers damm sharp... and you newer one all shining, i need to do mine like that.. keep it up very good work you have done later

Thanks. Yes I rattle can painted the JD bike using Rustoleum Farm Implement paint. It came out nice. I put it for sale and as I said above a guy offered me his CM400E for sale. I bought a running CM400E bike in very good condition for $300 (and a leather jacket that did not fit me).

So now I have 2 bikes waiting back home for me when I return from family vacation. Before I left I had received the 7V regulator for the GL1100--hopefully this will be a simple plug and play.

Below is a picture of the CM400E that I will probably restore (??Cafe style) but never ride it much as I am too big for it. But it will keep me occupied in the Fall/Winter. The GL1100 just needs more painting/polishing.

Thanks
Simba

Attachments

• cm400e2IMG_0835_1024x768.jpg
    cm400e2IMG_0835_1024x768.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 150
The fuel AND temp gauges not working could also be a problem with the 7v regulator, located on the front side of the gauges, behind the headlight. Mine(gauges) did not work when I bought it, either, and that is what I found...mine was simply unplugged, for some reason. I plugged the regulator in, and both gauges have been working fine for 4 years now. A fuse would certainly be an easier fix!

btw...you got a dang goood deal on the 'Wing!

I been searching and can't find this regulator. Does it have a color or shape? The 3 wires from the gauges go into the back of the counter weight then down the harness on the left side of bike. I lose them from there. No regulator.

Thanks!!

Edit: found it! Gold and mounted behind the gauges. Yay

billy1957":2osobr6x said:
Yes i know how you feel ,sold my 82 gl1100 on a Sat. and the next Sunday had a 86 gl1200.

We should be home soon. I get to start working on the bike. Cosmetics plus 7V regulator.
I should be able to post new pictures next week.
Simba

Got back home yesterday and went for a ride on my GL1100. I love the smoothness of the ride. During my vacation I rode my KLR650 a couple of thousand miles through national parks in Utah/Montana. I love my KLR but its a hand numbing vibration machine.

I am also getting used to the toe-heel shifting. I am just keeping my foot on the floor board and then using my heel to up shift rather than keeping my foot resting on the shifters and then doing a balancing act (I hope I am making sense) between up shift and down shift. That was too hard and was causing to many shifting errors. AN OPERATOR ERROR I ADMIT.

You guys are awesome with your help. I replaced the 7Volt regulator and now the fuel and temp gauges are working just fine. THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR A CORRECT DIAGNOSIS. :thanks:

I hope to paint front fender today and if its cool enough may also pull the seat off and get the faux tank cover and rear fender and paint those tomorrow.

The green neutral light indicator does not come on. Any ideas about how to get to the bulb?

Thanks All,
Simba

Attachments

• 1photo.JPG
    1photo.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 167
Front fender off
Faux tank off
rear fender---are you kidding me? I have to loosen a thousand bolts from the luggage stuff to get the rear fender off. And its over a 100deg in the shade. Well I am gonna have to do it. Wow just may go with a 'nakid' bike again!
Simba

Attachments

• P1200956.JPG
    P1200956.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 158
simbaboy":3o65g4i8 said:
Front fender off
Faux tank off
rear fender---are you kidding me? I have to loosen a thousand bolts from the luggage stuff to get the rear fender off. And its over a 100deg in the shade. Well I am gonna have to do it. Wow just may go with a 'nakid' bike again!
Simba
Lol, know what you mean!

Hey Simba if you are painting that thing I have a nice set of bags that will drop right into your brackets

1060dsl":c0vwi0f5 said:
Hey Simba if you are painting that thing I have a nice set of bags that will drop right into your brackets

PM sent
Thanks Mike
Here in Michigan lots of parts GL for sale real cheap. I will send you some links as I see them. I know you like hording these--LOL

Simba

Sorry Simba minor brain fart here - last set of GL1100 bags sold last Saturday only have a set of GL1200's left I will be looking at another parts bike on Thursday if I make a deal (and it has bags) I will let you know

I have been doing a lot of riding with free time.
Finally decided to to put painted parts back on the bike before the GL started getting cranky.
Well I did and I am not sure I am digging the blue. The family wants me to go glossy black. I would prefer flat black.
I also ordered and received really shiny 'Honda' tank emblems which will look great once on.
The paint job is ok because I really rushed it. The next attempt will be much better with flat black. The blue is just not doing for me or my girls.
Thanks
Simba
The bike is getting better and better in terms of power the more I ride it. The front brakes are soft and I noticed the fluid level was very low. Put some DOT3 which helped, but I will need new pads. The rear brakes are fine.

Attachments

• b5photo.JPG
    b5photo.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 126
  • b6photo.JPG
    b6photo.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 127
Flatbl1photo.JPG
BEHOLD THE BEAST, THE MOTORCYCLE BLACK HOLE

Hello Friends,

I got the GL1100 painted flat black: I kinda like it and the ladies in my family like it.
The pictures somewhat lie as light hits this motorcyle and nothing, I mean nothing shines back. But the big bike is a beast so I am not sure what I should name it?

I used Rustoleum Painters Choice 2X---2 cans were enough. I also put the emblems back so something would shine some light back. Wow flat black is easy to paint with but it is really flat.

Below are pictures. The bike is running very well. I changed the oil and a new air filter. I had a hard time opening the oil filter so I did not change that.

Thanks,
Simba

Attachments

• gl1photo.JPG
    gl1photo.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 107
  • GL2photo.JPG
    GL2photo.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 102
  • GL4photo.JPG
    GL4photo.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 109
  • gl5photo.JPG
    gl5photo.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 111
  • gl6photo.JPG
    gl6photo.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 107
Thanks All,
The bike got faster after the paint job (I am sure ATF in the fuel with the last tankful might have something to do with it)!
Last tank full got 36MPG, but it was NOT leisure riding. I was riding her hard with 5-6K RPM before shifting!
Thanks for the encouragement.
Simba