If I EVER meet this "Murphy" guy....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Imma gunna kick his f :sensored: g a :sensored: s!! :rant:
So...after 10 years, I decided to finally tear into my 'Burban and get it running on all 8 again. I knew it had a bad valve, no surprise there. The surprise was finding two head bolts broken off in the block. :shock: :head bang: Off comes the head, and then the trouble of removing the broken bolts(Both of them go into the water jacket, btw....that will be important later).
I was able to drill down into the first one in about 3 hours Saturday, and get an ease-out into it, and with a little luck, it came out fairly easily. Ya-HOO! One down, one to go. Not.... the other bolt dint want to let a drill go down into it at all. Damn thing made out of Krytonyte or something. :headscratch: Two MORE hours Sat. and 3 hours Sunday, lots of drill bit sharpening, charging batteries for the drill, a few choice words, and more than a few thrown tools later, I gave up. I did have a die grinder, with ONE carbide burr(a broken one at that), and was able to finally get a hole all the way thru the bolt. Got it large enough to see the threads in the block. There was NO punching out the left-over bolt threads...just wasn't gunna happen. A little more die-grinding, and I was able to start a tap down in the hole, and tap new threads. And then.......do I even need to finish this sentence? Got the hole threaded about 1/2 way, backing the tap out, and........ :sensored: :rant: :Awe: :head bang: :rant: :Awe: :head bang: @*$^#&%(%)#(@&$*()@$ :sensored:
Yeah....friggin tap broke off down in the hole. :crying:
My choices to "fix" this are limited. I ordered a new set of tap extractors, but they won't be here till Monday. My plan is to freeze the dang tap(I got a new case of freon at the house anyway), and try to back it out with the extractor. If that don't work, I'm skrewed.....
I have thought aboot just putting the head back on with the one bolt missing, since it had been runing with TWO broken bolts for who knows how long. so it should run otay with just one broken, right? Well...remember the part about them going all the way thru to the water jacket? That means I can't leave it out, or coolant will run right up onto the top side of the head.
The only other option, if the tap extractor doesn't work, is to buy a new short block assy.....which I REALLLY don't wanna do. This engine only has 29,000 miles on it. If it comes to that, I might just sell the dang thing as is, and look for a newer truck.
Friggin Murphy..... :sensored:

Can you make a wrench of strap steel with a couple steel pins spaced to fit in the tap grooves? If the pins hold and the tap can be loosened by the cooling you mentioned that may just get that busted tap out.

That is a rough time, I have had a round or two with Murphy and domino issues. The best thing to do is get away from it. 99 percent of the time, when the frustration has passed, you will resolve whatever the issue is.

Broke off down in the hole too far to weld anything to it.

slabghost":et16sqw1 said:
Can you make a wrench of strap steel with a couple steel pins spaced to fit in the tap grooves? If the pins hold and the tap can be loosened by the cooling you mentioned that may just get that busted tap out.

That's pretty much what the tap extractor tool is....

images

Good luck Joel with your extraction :good: You are due for some :yes: I know how you feel as I was in a similar place with the glow plug on the diesel Forester, luckily it seems to be working still. If it hadn't I would of been going for a secondhand transplant at $5k aud :(

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149619#p149619:35t97qjg said:
ianstaley » Tue May 26, 2015 5:23 pm[/url]":35t97qjg]
Spark erosion, that is the safest way I feel, question is can you get someone to do it.

Can't move the truck...it's kinda dead in the water(literally) at this point. Plus, I'd have to pull the engine to be able to do that....not gunna chance skrewing it up any more than I already have. Good idea....done thought aboot it tho. Talked to a feller with a machine shop today, and he thinks I might be able to freeze it and get it out with the extractor, or at least freeze it and break it up with a punch. We shall see. Tools won't be here until Monday, and I've got to go get re-certified on my ASE certs Monday. Oh what fun.... :whistling:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149668#p149668:n9ihj1z6 said:
mcgovern61 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:03 am[/url]":n9ihj1z6]
Joel, maybe it just needs new tires?? :smilie_happy:
(Sorry, had to do it.)

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :whip:
It's GOT NEW TIRES, dadburn yore hide!! :rant:

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

That dam Murphy feller was around last nite, too....Brought a rain/lightning storm wid him, killled electric service around here for several blocks, too.... the bastige...

:yahoo: SUCCESS!!!! :yahoo:
Tap extractor came in Thursday, and rain let up enough this mernin to give it a shot. Froze the tap with butane, and was able to move it slightly back/forth a little. Broke some fingers off the extractor(to be expected), so I went to the next largest size. FINALLY managed to get it to loosen some, and break off some too. It DID finally get all of it out! :party:
So...I'm taking a short break, then I get back out and try to carefully tap a few more threads in the hole. I brought my tap oil home this time. If I can get a bolt to go thru the threads, I'mma gunna be puttin this turd back together this weekend....as long as the rain stays away long enough. :beg:
Wishes me luckies! :BigGrin:

:useless:

Yeah yeah....pics later.... :ahem:

Great to hear that you have overcome Irish heritage Joel! :good:
Can't wait to see the truck up and running on all cylinders :popcorn: :popcorn:

:Egyptian: Otay, the head is back on, along with the intake and throttle body. Ran a tap down thru all of the holes in the block just for good measure, then put the head on. Tomorrow I hope to get the rest of the top end finished, and get the exhaust manifold back on. Still have to cut two studs off from the header pipe flange, but that ain't no biggie. Stopped working aboot 3:30 to take Mama to eat, then when we got back, I had to do some yard work, since it hadn't rained today. That was fun(not). STILL got water standing in the back yard.....strange, considering the slope of the property back there. Got it all whacked down, anyway. Here's some pics of the tool in use.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149876#p149876:14vaoebu said:
ianstaley » Sun May 31, 2015 7:24 am[/url]":14vaoebu]
Looks a nice tool to have, never seen an extractor like that one and I am such a sucker for tools. :doh: :whistling:

tooltopia on fleabay is where I got this set. Best price, and it showed they had 9 sets available. The "fingers" are replaceable(non-warranty), and cheap...the other parts of the tool are warrantied. Really designed to remove taps that are not bound up in the hole, but in my case, they did work. :good:
Goin out now to try to finish up, and get this turd runnin again. :beg:

btw...I been trying to get a set of extractors like this for YEARS....none of the tool guys had ever heard of them. So...I'm showin my Matco guy this set Friday, and he says, "I sell those all the time"... :rant: :Doh2: :head bang: Bastige....I know I've asked him before... :sensored:

Latest posts