hotter coils for 1100 (Dodge Neon Retro)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king1

Reaction score
got cracked coils on your 1100.. again? Chug on down to your local auto salvage yard... And ask for a '97 dodge neon coil pack.! You'll have to make up a mount for it using light angle iron... Four post coil.. two on top.. two on the bottom.. A simple conversion. And better than Mother Honda's idea of what spark should be... I dont have a pic. but it's easy enough to google under '97 dodge neon coil pack. I know some of you were wondering exactly what this conversion entailed.. And did not have the info needed.. Well, now you do.! :wave:

I just checked on this coil from auto zone, they have it new for 65 bucks... :shock: :smilie_happy: what's the junk yard price $20? I would think that plug in the back side would be easy enough to modifiy..

Thanks for posting this, I read this somewhere else a little while ago, can't remember where... :Egyptian: they are a lot cheaper on ebay new..

BEAVER.... You must have read about the neon coil conversion on saunders site... That's where i first discovered it.

What about the wires?

New ends need to be made up, and what about the plug wire size, our 7 mm dinosaur copper core wire isn't good enough for a higher energy coil is it?

Oh and they all say standard ignition, how come the cheaper one won't work?

I'm going to order one so I want to make sure I'm getting the right one.

dan filipi":398j4qa9 said:
What about the wires?

New ends need to be made up, and what about the plug wire size, our 7 mm dinosaur copper core wire isn't good enough for a higher energy coil is it?

Oh and they all say standard ignition, how come the cheaper one won't work?

I'm going to order one so I want to make sure I'm getting the right one.
DAN... Your existing wires are more than fine for the application. and can carry a lot more voltage than you think. the main concern is resistance.. your stock plug wires have the needed reistors already in the plug caps... you want to stay with no more than 5K in resistance. The Dodge Neon Swap Over.. is right within spec... Yes, about the only other mod. is to change the wire ends @ at the Neon Coil... Keep your stock wires if you know them to be good... And junkyard Neon Coils for the '97 year model. are every bit as good that you'll find @ your local parts store.. either way it's hard to get the wrong coil pack.. It's YOUR money.. KING 1

detdrbuzzard":13p5dbo9 said:
there is a gm coil mod they are doing on bikes like my '79 750, i was wondering if that would work on an older wing

Yes they will,aftermarket accel coils for motorcycles use the same coils for all 4cyl hondas,only option is points or electronic.

They dodge coil,(used in more than just a neon) is the same as two gm coils,witch is not a new idea by anymeans.

As far as plug wires,many are availble as singles.If one from a 2.4 dodge is the corect length(or close) then just buy four of those.Same thing with the GM coils.However,I like my stock HONDA double plug boots,so I would prefer to reuse,or get a new set if avaible.

:Doh2: Why are there two threads on the same subject?Can they be merged?

I did a few seconds of research today at work,and for the junk-yard pickers,the same coil is used for the following vehicles;

95-98 EAGLE TALON 2.0
ALL 2.4 CHRYSLERS 96-97
2000 STRATUS CIRRUS & BREEZE 2.4 & 2.0
99-01 SEBRING & AVENGER 2.0 & 2.4
01-03 PT CRUIZER
99-03 DODGE,PLYMOUTH & CHRYSLER MINIVAN 2.4
2002 JEEP LIBERTY 2.4
95-99 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE 2.0
02-08 MINI COOPER 1.6

There are not really two threads...it's the same thread, just in two different forums. It was originally in the Electrical forum, but it was also cloned/added to the Tips and Tricks forums, since it was decided it needed to be added there also, to make it easier to find.
That's my story, and I'm stickin wid it! :read:

AApple":8vanunrp said:
There are not really two threads...it's the same thread, just in two different forums. It was originally in the Electrical forum, but it was also cloned/added to the Tips and Tricks forums, since it was decided it needed to be added there also, to make it easier to find.
That's my story, and I'm stickin wid it! :read:

Might be easier to find,but a pain in the arse to keep up with,I have posted on both not realizing there are two,and the post dont carry over.Why not just move the thread?

Sorry,my wife says Im argumentative tonight again so I have to talk to you guys instead :rtfm:

Randakk's tip 27 on coils will give you an idea, you just need to make a bracket to mount it up and out of the way. Angle iron looks to be best suited for the mount.

Latest posts