hotter coils for 1100 (Dodge Neon Retro)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omega Man":2hu38u91 said:
Great guys :wave: How about that info on how a guy is supposed to hook one of these things up? :thanks:

~O~
I would really like to understand the wiring hook up's in the rear of the coil a little better, what color goes where I'm no sparky for sure...Once.... I blew up a radio when I was 6 years old I'm talking smoke in the face, been afraid of electrical stuff ever since... I was even trying to fix stuff back then...It kinda blew my hair in a upright position..I told Mom I fixed it..

in the teck section beav im going there myself ...trying to start the 77 1000 i got :mrgreen:

ijust look beav white and black wire is ignition hot to coils on the 77 anyway i think the 1100 is the same iwill post more as i find it :mrgreen:

dan filipi":2wiee4to said:
DaveO430":2wiee4to said:
Here is the link, this is my mod idea and it does work very well. Several have done it and as far as I know all are happy with the results.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/101648.html

The big question Dave, is it worth doing?

Does it run smoother?
Better fuel mileage?

I would say yes it is worth doing. I did it to my 1100 when there was nothing wrong with the ignition as it was. It starts easier, runs smoother, seemingly a bit more power. I can't say about fuel economy because I had not really tested it before the mod but it would almost have to be better. I did it to a friends 1100 that was n0t running well and it woke up significantly, went from mileage in the 20s to high 30s. I have not had anyone say anything less than WOW after they did it.
I recommend gapping the plugs at .035" with this coil.

Everyone pop on over to the Steve Saunders Goldwing site go to the tech forum look for we have ignition . I ts a 2 year old post but people have been on it today like me . It has pics and how tos to get this to work plus they have been running the Neon coil pacs for 2 years now so all bugs have been worked out

hmm maybe beav ..... im diffinitly runninng out of useable coils right now ...im a firm beleaver in the dyna system for 1000s ....having a good 1100 ignition mod would be nice ....

I have not changed out my Ignition on my 83' GL1100 yet but i am looking at what i will need to make my GL11 start easier.

Here is what I have found

For the Neon Coil Conversion, when buying a new coil, Vs Used, you will also need.

New Coil;
1. The connector that powers the coil, $11.00

2. Plug wire end caps that plug into the coil side, 90deg end caps may be the best for our application. $??.00

3. New plug bulk Wire, I will have to measure my old wire to get a OAL

4. New NGK Plug Caps, Spark Plug side. If Not using a stereo remove the resistors in the plug caps

5. If using a Ballast Resister the ICR13 provides 1.82 ohms resistance.

Heat build up can be a problem when using a Black CDI box like on a 82'-83' GL11, Can a larger heat sink be put on the black box

Green CDI Box Has a much Larger Heat sink

Using a Iridium Spark plug's can decrease resistance I think this is what is happening, and this increase the heat of the CDI box even further, Using a stock spark plug seems to work better to keep the heat down.

Used Coil;
from Salvage,

Coil, Plug wires, Connector
Ebay $35.00 this would be hard to test, but a local salvage yard would be the way to go if used is acceptable.

im not realy sold on the neon coil deal ....with what your saying the setup is very hard on the 1100ignition ...even if you get it resisted right a failure there unnoticed would be worst than on stock setup...i think theres a good ignition mod out there im just dont think this is it ...and looking for something more matchable ....the low resistance is just the wrong side of the fence to be on it seems to me....but im wide open here for any input i might be not understanding good ...i think the early 1100 boxes might have a resistor built into them im thinking ...as 80-81 coils had no resistor on the coils like 82-83 did

All the above info was taken from goldfacts site.

yes Joe, you are right, from what i have read, early GL11 has a internal resistor, while 82-83' has external B. Resistor

I think this could work.

It seems like there may be some testing that needs to be done.

Higher voltage means more power? quicker starts?

Higher voltage also means more heat.

To get higher Voltage either No Ballast Resister, or a lower Ohm rating Ballast Resister. But this Could mean higher heat and possible damage to your CDI box.

some of the GL1200's have the Green label, meaning the larger heat sink CDI box, that would mean no Ballast Resister needed, Monitor heat levels, But i would like to do my own research.

Maybe trying to use a different Resistance, a different Ballast resister for you particular application.

Napa Ballast Resister's

#ICR23 - 1.20 ohms
#ICR11 - 1.35 ohms
#ICR34 - 1.40 ohms
#ICR37 - 1.60 ohms
#ICR35 - 1.80 ohms
#ICR13 - 1.82 ohms

I would Like to check output voltage's on my stock 83' GL11 Ignition.

and then check the heat with a infrared thermometer.

Then Compare that to the Dodge Neon setup, and adjust the ballast resister based on a Heat comparison vs voltage, to get the correct ballast resister.

I would like to get my GL11 to start as fast as my GL12 does.

yes ive seen those before ...a good match up is possible ...but darn im having trouble finding real specs on stuuf and measuring is probably the best way to go ....i was always hoping to find just the right coil set up without resistor ...but thats poven to be hard ....

Anybody ever go "full throttle and put an MSD ignition on their wings??

The Dodge Neon Coil has a direct replacement "Blaster" coil and the ignition control unit is also available and it only needs 12V and trigger to work...

The combination of an MSD DIS-2 and the Blaster Coil pack (8239) might be even "hotter" than just the Neon Coils.... Since MSD is Multi-Spark, it could be rather cool to try it......

I use the MSD ignition in my 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with a non fuel injected 5.9L gas guzzler... It has done wonders for me there... just wondering if MSD would be a little "overkill" on the Wing???

Rich

https://www.msdperformance.com/product.aspx?id=5079
Link to MSD Performance Ignition

I wish someone will figure it out [Rich] and let us know so we can use this fantasical idea..sounds like it may just work Rich..Now let's get it done, someone, anyone.. Then make the set up simple for us dumb bells to set it up..You know step by step..instructions...

I expect either option would need inline resistors added to the pickup wires to the coils or some such thing. Since the stock ignition was designed to use 3 ohm coils.

Latest posts