1100 air shock q's

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, historically I would pump them up to about 50psi (using a small air compressor) and wouldn't look at them for a month or more. When rechecking after that length of time, I would find them around 30-35psi. I'm a bit of a light-weight (160lbs) and do almost exclusively one up riding back and forth to work. For what its worth, Dave.

If they're leaking then I would suggest A: shock seals are buggered... But should show oil leak... Or B:schrader valves may have very slow leak or the threads on on air lines leaking, not done up correctly?
Process of elimination... Pretty basic set up really. Another thing to check could be pressure switch?
I ain't no guru but that's what I'd be checking.

No leaks,just wont pump up

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

I pump mine up with an Aspencade on board compressor set so it has a permanent gauge, the rears have always leaked down and required pumping up regularly, the fronts have always held pretty good, so I'm pretty sure the compressor and fronts are not leaking.

On this rebuild I bought a bunch of 91305-323-000 O rings to install on the ends of the lines & with the much newer shock absorbers, hopefully this issue will be covered. I'm also doing away with the pressure switch that only brings on the red light at the wrong time, IMHO. It uses a different size O ring. 91308-283-000

I'm only writing this to draw attention to all the different places these things can leak. It's not always going to be the seals in the dampers.

I can add this experience with Honda air shocks on an 1100. My '82 had the original air shocks. For many years, they did not leak air or oil. I ran them at 38-48 lbs per the manual.

image.php

image.php

They started leaking down air and shortly thereafter, the oil seals leaked. Rather than rebuild, I was already trying to lower the bike about 1/2" to 1" (short inseam). I found shorty shocks that were 1/2" lower than the OEM air shocks and they are a progressive type meaning two levels of coils. These shocks have been serving me fine!

image.php

image.php

We acquired and restored an '81 1100 standard that had fully functioning OEM air shocks, but the bike had very few miles on it. When the bike was finished, I took her on a road trip and with the air pressure set at the same 48 lbs I had used for my '82, I noticed a huge difference. These shock really absorb so much better than my original OEM air shocks.

image.php

Bottom line, the springs in my '82 air shocks were absolutely shot and the only thing providing dampening was the air/oil. My opinion, when the seasl are leaking air and oil, the springs are most likely also shot. Time to do a complete rebuild or replace.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216979#p216979:3egmq343 said:
Dusterdude » Yesterday- 7:00[/url]"]No leaks,just wont pump up

What about removing lines.. Give them a good clean out. Make sure no crap in them. Don't need to remove from bike just undo at shocks and air switch. That pressure switch could be stuck.
If all that's OK I guess only thing left is shock strip down and clean. I'm about to do mine and replace springs with a set of progressives. Just waiting on seal kit to arrive.

Gc,blew air thru the lines,all clear.did not check the valve,will do that today.wilcoy,saw your videos,excellent info

I need to revisit this thread,dumb question coming.do the goldwing air shocks actually lift and/or lower the bike depending on the pressure inside the shock?

So,can I guess they provide some sort of damping effect?the air I mean.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217701#p217701:22ydqzl8 said:
Dusterdude » 4 minutes ago[/url]":22ydqzl8]
So,can I guess they provide some sort of damping effect?the air I mean.

The amount of air is like adjust preload. The air is for like extra load. Kind of assists the springs to do their job. The actual dampening is controlled by the oil and rebound valve inside the shock. So the air I guess the best way to put it is to cushion the ride.
That's how I understand it anyways...

Cool,sounds good to me.thanks

With the onboard compressor and leaky rear shocks I was often sitting on the bike when I was pumping them up before riding off. I most always felt a bump upwards from the rear end when I did it but not really enough to say it was increasing ride height, I mean the travel of the rear shocks is about 3 inches, I would have noticed that more than just a bump.

What I mean is it didn't feel like an incremental increase in ride height, just a bump. So I don't think air pressure has any effect on ride height.

When the springs are shot, as the air is let out the rear will drop at least 2 inches. If you find the bike rises when you add air, the springs are shot and the shocks need to be rebuilt.

Ill keep an eye on that,where can I get springs if I need them?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217723#p217723:266798ca said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:22 am[/url]":266798ca]
When the springs are shot, as the air is let out the rear will drop at least 2 inches. If you find the bike rises when you add air, the springs are shot and the shocks need to be rebuilt.

From what Gerry says it's entirely possible that my 140K mile old shocks had slightly, but not totally compressed springs and that was what I was feeling when it bumped.

Like the air making up the difference between the spring length and full height.

Latest posts