1976 Engine Rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also has a leak from the crank seal in the timing cover area. I have replaced the seal and it continues to leak. Ima get a real good look at that while im in there.

From what i've read, a 1200 would fit, but take a fair amount of work. :headscratch: They sometimes do turn up for a good price, granted that knowledge is power, & doing is fun. :yes: But keeping your options open sometimes changes the plan for the better. :salute:

I have thought about putting a 1200 motor in, but I don't think I wanna do that to this particular machine. I believe that a simple ring job is gonna work nicely. Perhaps in the future doing a "hooch" style build would be an option on a different machine. But I already have a 1200 to ride....I just want a super strong stock gl1000 with a c5 ignition...this project will get me there.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164114#p164114:3b0dz93a said:
Denver » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:56 am[/url]":3b0dz93a]
From what i've read, a 1200 would fit, but take a fair amount of work. :headscratch: They sometimes do turn up for a good price, granted that knowledge is power, & doing is fun. :yes: But keeping your options open sometimes changes the plan for the better. :salute:

Another issue I have with purchasing a used motor is that you dont really know what you are getting. Sure you can perform some tests but you dont really know. This way I will know beyond the shadow of a doubt that my carbs, rings, compression, internals are all perfect because I did it. Dumping atf, seafoam, and other various "wallet cleaners" into carbs and crank cases is ok, i guess, if its all that is within your ability, budget, or schedule. However if you could take it apart, replace old worn parts, and make it absolutely correct; why would you not want to do it...?

Can't argue with that. :hi: Didn't realize you had a 1200, there so much better than the 1100's i had in the past, thought this idea might fit in somewhere. :headscratch:

It should also be noted that when removing the heads I had my dad helping me out. He was taking the head bolts out and dropped one of the washers into the crank through the oil return, lol. Whether I want to or not that case has to get split now.... :swoon:

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=164136#p164136:kos435c7 said:
bronko37 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:26 am[/url]":kos435c7]
It should also be noted that when removing the heads I had my dad helping me out. He was taking the head bolts out and dropped one of the washers into the crank through the oil return, lol. Whether I want to or not that case has to get split now.... :swoon:
:doh:

I had a washer jump out of my hand and it went right down a spark plug hole. :head bang: I put a magnet on a stick are retrieved it easily. Whew! :yahoo:

Many years ago I had a washer (or something) drop down a distributor hole in a V-8 engine. I didn't have a magnet handy so I wrapped a nail with wire and lowered it way down into the dark hole. Touched the wires to the battery to make an electromagnet and quickly lifted the part out of the abyss (before the wires melted!). Again, Whew!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164410#p164410:2ekoceb5 said:
BonS » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:26 pm[/url]":2ekoceb5]
I had a washer jump out of my hand and it went right down a spark plug hole. :head bang: I put a magnet on a stick are retrieved it easily. Whew! :yahoo:

Many years ago I had a washer (or something) drop down a distributor hole in a V-8 engine. I didn't have a magnet handy so I wrapped a nail with wire and lowered it way down into the dark hole. Touched the wires to the battery to make an electromagnet and quickly lifted the part out of the abyss (before the wires melted!). Again, Whew!

Thats pretty handy trick. We tried a few magnets n the like to fish it out, to no avail. Perhaps I would be more motivated to fish it if I were not takin it apart anyway. Future reference, stuff a rag in that oil return as soon as you take off the valve covers to prevent anything from droppin in there...

The electromagnet deal made me think of a science project in grade school. :read: Read if you took a wire wrapped it around a nail & touched each end of it, to a battery, you had a magnet. No battery but access to a transformer to an electric train, Crank it up stronger, back weaker, got a good grade, & took no time to make, forgot about the project till now. :hihihi:

Made some progress on the bike today. Dad and I got the engine out and on the bench. Hooray! Merry Christmas to all u guys...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 245
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 243
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165071#p165071:1w0bnfz1 said:
bronko37 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:38 pm[/url]":1w0bnfz1]
Cylinder wall
file.php
Nice :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164136#p164136:1s19zco9 said:
bronko37 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:26 am[/url]":1s19zco9]

Took out the oil screen and guess what I found just layin there...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 194
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165733#p165733:1oxa3hv8 said:
joedrum » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:15 am[/url]":1oxa3hv8]
cool bronko ...thats dads washer ? ...maybe motor breakdown is not required now ...

Lol, that's what Dad said. I'm still doin it tho. Dad dropped the washer remind the heads as a step toward tear down. No turning back now, I'm all in on this project. Spent a few hours last night cleaning the block and prepping for the case split. Really enjoying it and actually looking forward to doing it. :builder:

Latest posts