1976 Engine Rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two doctors yesterday, two more as we speak. Leaving Monday for the Philippines, hope to relax for three weeks and let the Med's do their work. It has been a long downwards spiral.

Thread stealin'. Just had another doctors appointment and picked up another doctor appointment for tomorrow. Joe, I know they're similar. Love doctors and science and all, but it's still do true that the more we know, the more we know we don't know.

I took all the bolts out of the engine and tried to separate the halves, no luck. I am going to bring a small torch home tomorrow as well as an aluminum & brass rod. I've run the 10mm bolts nearly all the way in, just enough stickin out for some wiggle room. Then I am going to drive against the stud to tey and drive them apart. But I don't have anything good to strike against here. I tried a piece of wood but it was too giving. So Tomorrow, or perhaps Saturday morn, I will warm the seam slightly and try again.

I'll keep u posted.

Ps: Feel free to continue the hijack Eric... :good:

Aussi, how did u split the cases on your rebuild? It's like this damn thing is glued together. There's really nothing to pry against or hit. Like I said, I ran the 10mm bolts in at the top and was driving against those to no avail...I'm worried I'll hit it too hard and blow out the casting. Then I'm pretty screwed...

Thanks for the tip on the oil pump too. I'll give that a check...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165868#p165868:1ftnw9e2 said:
dan filipi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:27 pm[/url]":1ftnw9e2]
The couple engines I split came apart after a few solid hits with a rubber hammer.
Stubborn, try with 1 or both heads bolted on to give you something to whack against.

Dan,

Would you strike down on the tops of the heads to try and leverage the halves apart?

So I think what I am going to do is lay the block on the bench on its face (cylinders down) and use the head bolts to bolt the engine down to the bench. Then Ill take a long section of steel that will span past the top and bottom of the block and again use the head bolts to bolt the section of steel to the face of the engine opposite the bench. Then I can use a bottle jack to lift the right side off of the left side by pushing between the bench and the steel bar.

Can anyone give me a center to center distance of the two center bolt hols on the head? I dont have one with me and would like to prep my steel bar. I will of course provide pictures of the set up to clarify wtf I'm talking about.

I need the center to center distance between holes 1&2 if its handy for anyone...

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1121&image_id=11183

hmmmmm sounds rather good ...how about using 2x4 boards bolted to block on both sides ..long enough to use a bottle jack on both ends of block ...2x4 drilled so board is on edge ...this way block can not get damaged at all ....i have no idea what center of bolts holes are cant be that hard to figure out ..its right there in front of you ...good luck bronko on what ever you do here

4x4 would be better choice as boards go ..

you also could drill the holes a bit bigger than bolt size and use washer so not to be effected by not perfect drilling ...

I thought of a board on each side too Joe. As far as the center to center distance I know I could get it easy but Im at work is all. I was thinking if someone had it handy I may be able to make some parts here.

I was thinking of bolting the block right to the bench tho. Either way I suppose.

I would put gasket material between the bar and the face of the block to protect it...

Attachments

• Engine Splitting Rig.JPG
    Engine Splitting Rig.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 151
Would rather keep tapping the cases with a rubber mallet than the bolts. :hi: NOT saying you missed a bolt somewhere, but did you? :headscratch: Never split a wing case, but other's came apart without much trouble when ALL the bolts were out :blush: