1978 GL1000 smoking bad from left pipe

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackb23548

Reaction score
Just finished replacing the left headgasket and timing belts on my GL1000. Starts up fine, no smoke but after a minute or so it smokes a LOT from left pipe. Definitely oil and not water vapor. Thinking a bad valve stem guide but looking for other opinions. Read that overfilling with oil might case same issue, any experience with this? Planning on a compression test this weekend...

Thx

Jack

Could well be over full oil. Smell the oil for gasoline. If carbs leaked it could be diluting the oil.

Could be oil that ran down into the exhaust when you pulled the head off. Might take a while for that to burn out, if that's what it is. Definitely check the oil level...if it's too high, drain some out, and see if the smoking clears up after running a while.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98459#p98459:2zaqizu1 said:
slabghost » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:33 pm[/url]":2zaqizu1]
Could well be over full oil. Smell the oil for gasoline. If carbs leaked it could be diluting the oil.

+1

I agree with "Smiley!" :smilie_happy:

It continues to smoke, took it around the block today (my personal flying mile) and about a half a lap into it started smoking like a banshee. Didn't let up after three laps, seemed to run strong at speed but idle was rough. Looked like I was crop dusting the neighborhood :smilie_happy:

Why did the head gasket need replacing? If you blew the gasket and coolant scored your cylinder what you might have is an oil ring failure.
Miles on bike, history of oil burning, and what happened just prior to the issue will help us figure it out faster.

On any engine...if it puffs smoke when first starting its a valve guide seal, if it puffs when warm (steady cloud) its oil ring issue. The valve guide could be worn but then it should have burned oil before you removed the head. Will you verify why you did the head gasket job?

well the bikes great looking we will have figure a solution here for you do compression is good test to take ....pull one of the plug wires on left head ... try and figure what cylinder is causing the smoke or is it both ....just time now to really get serious to figure it out is all .... :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98586#p98586:220j058c said:
C5Performance » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:49 am[/url]":220j058c]
Why did the head gasket need replacing? If you blew the gasket and coolant scored your cylinder what you might have is an oil ring failure.
Miles on bike, history of oil burning, and what happened just prior to the issue will help us figure it out faster.

On any engine...if it puffs smoke when first starting its a valve guide seal, if it puffs when warm (steady cloud) its oil ring issue. The valve guide could be worn but then it should have burned oil before you removed the head. Will you verify why you did the head gasket job?

Bike is a 1978 GL1000 with 78,000 miles , not the 75 with a sidecar I mentioned on prior posts. Bought the bike a month ago, seller said it had been sitting 5 years. He said he had just bought the bike himself, was driving to get emissions checked and that it "popped" and started blowing white smoke out the exhaust. Based on what he described I assumed that the head gasket had blown. After getting head off I discovered the gasket had indeed failed, had water/oil contamination as well. Rebuilt carbs, replaced belts and the head gasket. Before bolting the head back on I did look it over good to make sure there were no obvious cracks. All looked well so back on it went. I started the bike sans cooling system just to make sure the carbs were in sync, ran great for the few minutes I ran it. Figured all was well so put it all back together and refilled cooling system. Felt like a champ first time I took it down the road, then looked back and discovered the trail of smoke. First thing I did was check the oil to see if there was any contamination, it was clean no gas or water in it.

A compression test is the next step, only problem is my tester does not have the right size threads on it. Autozone does not have one that will fit either. Might check Harbor Freight today for one.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the help.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98591#p98591:2n7gnpjf said:
brianinpa » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:27 am[/url]":2n7gnpjf]
Just wondering if everything is in proper alignment and that no o rings fell off of the oil tube when you put the head back on.

Are you referring to the small tube near the top of the head? Seems to me I did replace the o ring on it but honestly cannot remember. If I failed to replace it would it cause the issue I am having?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98601#p98601:a3ox6ggf said:
mike in idaho » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:06 am[/url]":a3ox6ggf]
There are TWO o-rings on that metering tube. It's there to keep the cylinder head from being flooded by too much oil.

Umm... might have to check that :oops: No easy way to make sure so I guess head comes off today. I know I replaced them on the 75 but not 100% positive on this bike. Possible I overlooked them. Would actually be great if that was the issue, beats the heck out of dealing with bad rings. Thanks for the feedback, will get back with you and let you know if that was the culprit.

I suspect the head gasket is able to seal well enough from the top center of the head to the cylinders. Oil would have to travel all that way to get into a cylinder. I doubt that's what's happening.

What color is the smoke?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98606#p98606:1movteoq said:
joedrum » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:14 am[/url]":1movteoq]
compression first is what id do before head removal so id know what going on at this moment before head comes off

My thoughts too. Looks like Harbor has a compression tested that might work, not the best quality unit but will work in a pinch. Should have numbers back in the next few hours. Sounds like I should have around 150 psi at each cylinder, all plugs out, throttle wide open, fully charged battery. Sound sbout right?

Latest posts