1978 GL1000 smoking bad from left pipe

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a note that before I rebuilt my carbs and replaced the plenum rubber, My 79 Gl1000 would lay out a massive smoke cloud out the exhaust. Plus gas mileage was sub 15 mpg. Found out it was leaking from the fuel O-rings between the penum and carbs on #4. Replaced the plenum gaskets, well OK, ALL the carb. gaskets and O-rings and that solved the cloud O' smoke problem. Plus gas mileage went back to 38 ish MPG

:crying: :evil:

So bad news here.. replaced the head and head gasket (OEM this time), made sure oil orifice o rings were both in place. Started bike up and it smoked as bad or worse than before, let it run 10 minutes and still did not let up. So guessing I have a ring issue. This is not something I have the know how or money to fix. Really bummed.

I guess I should just get rid of it and find another project, or possible find another engine for it. Not sure where to go from here.

When you drop the exhaust pipes, you will see which cylinder(s) is/are causing the problem. It's gonna be blue smoke if the rings are bad, white if it's a coolant leak, and grey-to-black it it's a carb issue. Don't give up - this is the challenge of a project bike!

Some good news. I have been starting the bike and letting it run for 5 to 10 minutes each night. The smoke has definitely let up but not completely stopped. Also, I sprayed some carb cleaner around the intakes and definitely have some leaks. Also realized the air cutoff valve vacuum line was not connected, that made a big difference in the idle quality. So, I am hopeful I can get carbs dialed in, leaks stopped and then run it hard this weekend to see if the smoking will finally stop for good. I am encouraged now... thanks for all your input.

Heavy dose of reality for me today. Smoking is back and as bad as ever, especially after I drove it for 5 miles. Let it cool and dropped the pipes, still lots of smoke straight out of exhaust ports.

So lets assume it needs new rings, engine has 79K on it. Do I even mess with cracking the case or just try to find a lower mileage engine? The more I ride this bike the more I enjoy it, really want to get her on the road.

First try putting about 6 oz of automatic transmission fluid in the oil and ride it 100 miles or more. With ATF in the oil and fuel at least you know it's clean and you gave it a chance to seat the rings. That will also give you a little more ride time.

OK, one more thought to try... Remove one of the intake pipes on the smokin' side. Start her up and see if you get raw gas out of the carb. Replace it and try the other one. It might surprise you...be prepared to shut it down quick if gas comes out. Without the intake pipe, there is no suction at that carb, so no fuel should flow. It's even kinda cool to watch the intake valve working! I tried this on my '82 to test the carbs.

I still have a funny feeling that you have something other than a ring issue...

Latest posts