205 lbs. compression?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Common practice 40+ years ago on setting valves was to cut a scrap valve cover open enough to reach the adjusters and place the feeler guage. With this being an interferance motor I don't think feeler guage should be used. Instead I would adjust each valve to the point it is quiet then back open a 1/4 turn. I still believe that a little valve clatter is a good thing.

=+

I put the cam that was giving me the high compression on the right side into the left side and I'm getting 170 lbs. :yahoo:
That's 15 lbs. higher than the left 1200 cam installed in the left side as well as the 1100 and 1000 cam in the left.

Tomorrow I'll put the cam that WAS in the left in to the right and see what compression I get.
It looks hopeful because with the naked eye it looks like the indexing is very close to a right 1100 cam.

I'm wondering now if the "L" and "R" that follows the cam number does not mean Left and Right.
There are no other L's or R's on the cams to identify it's side so I'm pretty much flying blind as far as this goes.
Honda parts fiche has different part number for left and right head but the part number shown is not on the cams.

Joe, on the 1200 heads you have off can you pull the cams and tell me what the numbers are left and right?

See iffin this makes any sense...
IF the cams ARE designated Left/Right, then that means they are ground differently to work(properly) only on one side. The ramps, and lobes will be working on a different angle of contact. It would be similar to bolting the head on upside down...which you can't do...but the cams will bolt on either side. The cams rotate the same direction, but where the lobes/ramps meet the rocker/follower is gonna be a bit different from one side to the other...
I wish I could do an animation...it would be much easier to 'splain. I think you have found the problem...just swap sides on the cams... :clapping:

Just got the 1200 cam in the right and I'm still getting 205 lbs. so that blows the left right theory right outa the water except for the fact I'm now getting 170 lbs cold from the left where the best I've ever seen with any other cam or head combination is 165 warm.

I've got a full plate today but later afternoon or evening I'm going to button this up and starter up unless one of you's guys talk me out of it.

dan filipi":1x1qiy90 said:
Unfortunatly there's no adjusting these while the engine is running because the amount of oil that gets pumped out with the valve cover off will empty the crankcase very fast and oil spray is EVERYWHERE.
Just in case we need a visual:

From everything I've read and talking to a friend, who is a Honda mechanic, about the 1100 and 1200 wings the 1200 is a totally different bike from the 1100 and that they only look similar, and even though they might bolt up, they should not interchange, so tread carefully. The engine you break may be your own, :Awe:

dan these heads look so good i do not want to take them apart ...ive never seen such evenly burning heads .....there in great shape ....i am for sure not going to use them .....we can just figure out the shipping and you can have them ....i have unheaded short blocks of both 1100 and 1200 side by side and cant see any reason they wouldnt work on a 1100....i think this is a good mod to try on an 83 .....the only thing i dont like is the exhast passage that gose through the water jackets ....but it possible to block that maybe ....if you dont use them i will down the line maybe cause it seems like a good mod....so if you want to use them there yours... :mrgreen:

Ok...........

I put the plugs in.

Connected the radiator.

Cranked it over with kill switch off, cranks fast as normal.

Time to dive in and go for it!

Kill switch on.

1/2 choke because I have to pull the clutch so it will crank because I didn't plug in the neutral switch.

Cranks and fires but hard starting.

Hold on.

Connect the neutral switch.

Key On.

Kill switch On.

Full choke.

She Starts And Runs!

Stumbling a bit because she's cold but sounds smooth.

Starving for gas, need to hook up the shiny new electric fuel pump and try again.

Be back in a bit.

dan filipi":1fo3ovei said:
Ok...........

I put the plugs in.

Connected the radiator.

Cranked it over with kill switch off, cranks fast as normal.

Time to dive in and go for it!

Kill switch on.

1/2 choke because I have to pull the clutch so it will crank because I didn't plug in the neutral switch.

Cranks and fires but hard starting.

Hold on.

Connect the neutral switch.

Key On.

Kill switch On.

Full choke.

She Starts And Runs!

Stumbling a bit because she's cold but sounds smooth.

Starving for gas, need to hook up the shiny new electric fuel pump and try again.

Be back in a bit.
Great job Congrats :yahoo: :salute:

Got the fuel pump hooked up and let it run til the fan cycled.

It sounds pretty good!

The intake is more "poppy" when accelerating even with the filter on so it's hard to hear what the engine really sounds like
and it seems like it's not getting enough gas with this electric pump.
It came with 5/16 hose barbs that I couldn't get the 1/4" lines onto so all I had was 1/8" fittings.
I think these tiny fittings are restricting the pump too much so I have to get 1/4 inch fittings to see if that's it.

After I get that sorted out I'll run it some more then put everything back together for a test ride.
That will be the real test.