75 carbs need severe cleaning for 1200 monster bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have taken those out with a screw extractor before. you mess up the slot but you can clean it up and cut another slot if patient or just buy another jet.

Treat it just like a pressed in and don't worry about the hole at the top. The hole that matters is buried deep into the jet. Several way to go at this. keep soaking it with PB blaster or something as good and start with a #1 Screw extractor you need something to grip it good so even modifying one with a piece of bar stock welded to make a T handle thing out of one is not a bad idea if you may ever do this again. Use a quality screw extractor as the cheap one may break off and then you have an entirely different set of problems.

If you get it out just clean up the mess made with the extractor file the end down and cut another slot for your screwdriver. Or buy another jet they aren't that expensive.

If it's a #35 jet, which I suspect it is then the hole is .35 mm or .0135 in which is a #80 micro bit. you will need a pin vice to get down to the hole should you go that way. I keep micro or jewelers bits specifically for this purpose. The holes in the side of the emulsifier part of that jet will likely be .026 or a #71 drill bit. In my experience (which is limited at this time 8-9) this jet is 80-90% of the off idle problems in these bikes. May as well not even do the work if not sure this circuit is clean and clear. Good luck Joe, I just know you can do it.

CIMG3484.jpg

thanks ive been looking all day while cleaning carbs for the exact size of the bit #80 ....the one thing neat about the 100 rack on idle jet has no emulsion tube so clearing the jet is full job there and ithink i can flush it from the idle mix scew access i hoping ....but ye all things are on the table right now im close ...evem two floats seat are still in that havnt come out yet but the the other side were clean :builder: ....but im close to getting it ...im very happy to be as close as i am on these carbs

That 35 is a tiny little orifice. I'm not even sure my pin drill will hold it. Even if it can it depends on how deep in the hole is. One thing you can do is solder the bit to a paper clip all stretched out and then what's left over just bend it into a little handle so you can turn the bit. Was just looking at some of those jets on the web and they are different ... so I can see where an extractor would pose a problem. sorry if it sounded confusing because ............ I WAS.

sounds like just running the right size bit through it would do the trick provided you chased out the passages.

well thanks to sidewinder and and slabghost ive got the right micro drill bits coming for the jet clearing ...as with many things i do things a little different ...ive rough cleaned the carbs to get the grime down to a non factor ...thought id post some pics they look quite different now ...
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

That bit at Mcfadden-Dale was $3.60 and is smaller that any needle in the wife's sewing kit.

if you figure out a way to get it to the jet other that soldering it to a paper clip to twist with ..... let me know.

the bit is an 1 1/2" long with 1/8" shank ...that will fit down the tower ...drilling leanth is slightly over 1/4" just enough to get through the jet ...ill probably use a vac hose or something to use as handle and drill with hand power im thinking anyway ....hope i have it figure out well :headscratch:

joedrum":25398m8m said:
the bit is an 1 1/2" long with 1/8" shank ...that will fit down the tower ...drilling leanth is slightly over 1/4" just enough to get through the jet ...ill probably use a vac hose or something to use as handle and drill with hand power im thinking anyway ....hope i have it figure out well :headscratch:

Hey Joe if you ordered it online, do you have a link so I can have a look?

joedrum":3iqylwtd said:
here it is
140.jpg

clk
clk
im a idiot i cant get the address to print

Thanks, I get the idea of the shape. I just bought a single bit which is so small I can see why jewelers use that type. That's likely better than what I used.

It should only take some hand pressure with minor twisting to clear the hole out. yep, if it will go down far enough yer golden.

i sure hope so sidewinder ........this is getting down to it .....if this dose work i think i will be able to have a fine rack of carbs for 1200 project ....this is a long time coming together for project ..thanks for your input of proper size ...iwas having trouble figuring it out

i got mt micro bits firday eavning ....had two bits two work with ...that was good i needed then both ..the bits are two piece meaning that bit shank and bit are two different pieces and the bit is crimp press fited in shank ....i had this connection come loose on one bit ...at first i thought that the bit went through the jet and when i tried to pull it out it seem to be broke ...i thought i was toast and it was over trying to clear the jet ...the bit seemed to just clear the jet so easy that i was thinging it went through and bottom out and broke ...i looked around at it after thinking all was lost ....with light and magnifing glass i couldnt see any of the bit ...there small i didnt think to much on it ....but then it jumped in my head that maybe the the shank eat the bit or better put went inside the shank ....so then with nothing to loose i took other bit and try to see if i could tell if the bit was in the jet ...to my joy i couldnt feel it ...so i drilling with my hand and the jet cleared finaly it was really hard to get through ....

after that i had to clear a jet that was for sure had a wire bristle in it broke off ...slow go and lots of touch and i finaly got it cleared too .....

so this is all great on the idle jets there in place and ican move on to other jobs on the rack im very pleased how things came out :builder: :mrgreen:

so much for looking at something for days ...ive just discovered that the chokes are not working when o thought i was freeing up the chokes the only thing i freed up was the linkage ...and by the way it was realy stuck the linkage fooling into thinking the chokes were working there not ....

seems every thing else is .....so now i went further to maybe split the rack ....well its looking like that aint going to happen ...the airbox scews are so tight its going to break them as i see it ...so im might have to live with no stock choke....

im not to worried about it...i may just put it together a runit this way ...as slabghost suggested that running it aft in the gas and vibration may free it ...i will just ride around with choke pulled ....when it frees ill know it :smilie_happy: ...sounds like a plan to me :hihihi:

Jod I had an Issue with gitting my rack appart. Kept stripping out the phillips screw heads. Wenr to a cut rate tool store with one of the big screws holding the half's togather and found some driver dits that fit real snug (5for a $1.00) and a small ratcher that they fit ($5.00) and got them all out. I find the standard phillips does not fit properly. wlii post pix later of setup. Today is Sunday, I don't work Sundays. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts