81 wing resto.. Perth western Australia

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220147#p220147:2ep4xf93 said:
Gc33 » Today, 5:20 am[/url]":2ep4xf93]
Hey Ernest... Engine is looking sweet... Still deciding how to go about doing mine. Cerakote is balls out expensive here... Shipping is even more. Still running with painting the engine satin black and polishing up all the stuff that can be done.
But yeah... Your Engine is looking nice mate.
I need to get a set of radiator cowls. I'm going to make a mold and then make carbon fibre cowling for the radiator.
I've picked up 2 sets of for ears for $30 each recently. Will need rechroming but they are scarce. Managed to get a set for both my 1100 and 1000. Also stumbled across a left hand switch set for the 1000 as well for $45. Happy as....
I missed out on a 1200 aspy locally here... I say missed out coz the wife has said I'm not allowed any more... Spoil sport.
Thanks for the engine comments. Read your thread again. Tried a lot of different products and processes on my 1200 project. The engine is some 90% buried so what has been done will be for my eyes only and captured in the pictures. Your engine, frame and such is more in the open so needs additional attention. You mentioned early on painting the engine then using the KBS Diamond Clear, good choice I think. When I do my 1500 engine, it will be cleaned and such, then epoxy primer, paint and a clear coat. Will know how the CERAKOTE stands up by then. The 1500 is buried under a wealth of plastic so no need to get extravagant. Have done the calipers, brake/clutch MCs, and will be doing the switch housings very soon. Found that epoxy primer direct to the plastic switch housing is the best base layer. Going to use Createx black matte Autoborne Sealer for the colour - this could also be the base layer but already sprayed with primer, followed by the Createx matte clear. These are water based so easy to spray and no smell. Used the Createx Quicksilver chrome on the air wing(s) hardware - these were chrome pices but were getting a bit ratty:
Wing Hardware Chrome 1.jpg
Not bad but does not replace actual chrome. Recommend using this product to clean up small rusted chrome pieces such as the air wing hardware, but not for large projects - gives a nice clean look. Looking forward to seeing these in the light of day installed.

Keep posting. Cheers

So I've paid for my bits from Canada... I got the 2 sets of fork ears. The left hand switch block for the 75, and an 1100 fuel tank for $22 Canadian which equates to not much more than our Aussie dollar. For our Aussie dollar we get $1.05 Canadian.
Cost me more for the shipping...

Attachments

• 20201125_161447.jpg
    20201125_161447.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 20201125_161427.jpg
    20201125_161427.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 20201126_165052.jpg
    20201126_165052.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_20201128-074436_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201128-074436_Chrome.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 137
Hear you on the shipping and exchange. It's always an "ouch" here when I need to order something. Good looking parts. Water and aluminum foil to give them a first go over maybe.

Attachments

• Switch Housing Paint Jig 5.jpg
    Switch Housing Paint Jig 5.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Switch Housing Paint Jig 3.jpg
    Switch Housing Paint Jig 3.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 136
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220154#p220154:37wer1jc said:
Rednaxs60 » Today- 7:26[/url]":37wer1jc]
Hear you on the shipping and exchange. It's always an "ouch" here when I need to order something. Good looking parts. Water and aluminum foil to give them a first go over maybe.
file.php

file.php
Switch block looks good Ernest.
The fork ears I'll have rechromed. I have a few other parts to be rechromed as well. One fork ear has a slight dent so will get that out 1st.
Im now just chasing radiator wings/cowls for the 75 and my 81. I'm hoping to make a set of carbon fibre ones for the 81.

Thanks. Got all the switch blocks done - doing a water based matte clear for final. Have a couple more pieces I would like to do so might as well do now. In for a penny, in for a pound. Will be interested how you plan to make the carbon fibre radiator wings.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220156#p220156:16v632so said:
Rednaxs60 » Today- 14:34[/url]":16v632so]
Thanks. Got all the switch blocks done - doing a water based matte clear for final. Have a couple more pieces I would like to do so might as well do now. In for a penny, in for a pound. Will be interested how you plan to make the carbon fibre radiator wings.
Basically I need a set to make a fibreglass mold of them. That's the hard part. Rest is fairly straight forward. Use a clear epoxy resin and layer in the carbon fibre matting to the desired thickness. Need to vacuum seal it too...
Propably be a few attempts involved til I get it right...

Finally finished carbs today. Just need to put all linkages back together.
Pretty happy with them but the truth of how good or how bad I've done will be when they are finally bolted back on to the engine and gets running.
Measured all float levels and all seemed good. A little bit of adjustment but minimal. Next once linkages are back on and functioning to where I'm happy with them I will then bench calibrate them. Make sure they are all opening and closing at same times...
One more thing done... Step closer. Next is cleaning and repainting the engine.... Not sure where to start with that. I do not really want to remove the heads. But after work I've done on the Aspencade heads... I kinda feel guilty if I don't remove them and give them a clean up. At least I can then inspect bores as well. Engine hasn't run in over 15 years...itll come to me in the middle of the night I imagine...

Attachments

• 20201206_184916.jpg
    20201206_184916.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 20201206_184902.jpg
    20201206_184902.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 125
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220269#p220269:3ihndjcp said:
joedrum » Today- 13:48[/url]":3ihndjcp]
Carbs look pretty on the outside
Just as pretty on the inside too...

A fruitful day yesterday. I had prepped my 81 tank to do liner/seal it. Then as I'm just silly enough to have 3 goldwing projects on the go I figured I may as well do the 75 tank and the 83 aspy tank.
I used the kbs tank sealer kit. Note.... 1 large tank kit will do 3 gold wing tanks! A cost effective way to treat the tanks and prevent corrosion in side. It says it seals up pin holes or cracks as well. Link below for you guys in USA
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/cycle-tank-sealer-kit.html
I found the aqua kleen worked well. In some cases you may need to leave soak overnite(tanks that have been sitting for years) and the rust blast I could see working before my eyes.
After emptying the rust blast into a container so I can use again, I rinsed the tank out and left in sun to dry. I found that the was still some water or damp patches in tank so used my heat gun and some compressed air to make sure it was completely dry.
Then it was time for the sealer. Before putting the sealer I taped up the fuel gauge sender hole. Poured in the sealer and then taped up fiiler spout hole. After about 10-15 minutes of turning, spinning and rolling the tank to ensure it was completely coated I drained excess sealant back in to the can. Draining is recommended to avoid pooling. At this stage I also checked fuel lines and the mesh filters. Blew compressed air thru the lines and those filter meshes. I've seen some poor attempts at that. Pleased to say mine are clear. Remember that this stuff is impervious to solvents so if you don't clear them before cured you will not clear it.
I found I had 2/3rds of a can left so that's when I decided to crack on with other 2 tanks... Repeated the process...
So for approx $100 Aussie, I managed to do the 3 tanks. I'll take that as a win!
Now to prep outsides of tanks for painting as well.
I'll attach a pic but it's a tad hard to see.
I'll get some more now that they have all cured...

Attachments

• 20210105_151226.jpg
    20210105_151226.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 104
Kbs tank seer screen shot

Attachments

• 20210106_083245.jpg
    20210106_083245.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 102
More inside tank pics....

Attachments

• 20210106_091753.jpg
    20210106_091753.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210106_091728.jpg
    20210106_091728.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 96
I'm devastated... Heartbroken... The love of motorcycle life would seem dead.
I have been concentrating on things like having forks rechromed, frames painted, tanks lined and painted... I've gotten to the heart of it all... The engine. I decided I was going to remove the heads for a clean up and since it's been sitting for 15 years it would be perfect opportunity to inspect the bores. Definately original gaskets.. Heads were stuck on.
Got the right hand side off(1 & 3) and my heart sank. Bizarrely there it was... Dang corrosion in no 3 cylinder. Oddly enough it was at the top side of the bore... On closer inspection I found 2 intake valve marks on the piston....
Rest of the bores are good... Just no 3.
So.. My options.. I cannot find any piston sets and as we all know Honda do not make or have any. I found a couple of sets courtesy of a friend... On ebay out of Europe.. 590euros. $792 Australian dollars plus shipping... Probably would put me close to $1k...just for pistons. That's not including finding the correct main bearings to go as well.
So my option as I see it is... Load it all onto my trailer and take it to the local tip to be buried and never be seen again. That's what I feel like doing...
However... If I strip the engine I can get that bore resleeved and bored to the original pistons... Not much else choice really.. Can't get pistons... It would seem ring sets are avail tho?
Any thoughts? I'm open to ideas.... Bit so far cutting my losses and taking to the tip is cheapest option...

Attachments

• 20210212_204218.jpg
    20210212_204218.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 84
Agree with Dan and it is the route I had to take with our '82 1100. In the end, I used an '83 1100 engine which is still running like a clock today. My '82 engine had a slightly smaller problem:

image.php

Okay - good progress and an "oops" has surfaced. You probably have the same issue with finding a "good" used engine as I would here. Expensive and most are in the US, expensive proposition.

Had an "oops" with mine the other day. Engine in and started, operating well. Next step, install front fairing and hook everything up, see what the engine is doing with the dash working. Did this and no rpm, fuel levels, engine temp, RPM, nyet. Dash is blank. Definitely a setback, but since I and we are higher on the food chain, the bike will assimilate. Same with shifting once I had the engine back in the frame. Started and idled nicely, shift into first, great - try second, no shift. Tried several times and no joy. Engine out and back on work bench. Engine case separated again. 3 days reading manuals, looking at the pictures in the manuals, taking shift linkage and transmission apart, and seeing nothing. Put back together, trialed at every stage and now works - go figure. Then I had an oil drip - rear lower case. Engine out for gasket replacement. Seems it does not want to leave the garage, not happening.

What I would do to minimize expense is split the engine case - can't hurt and a good experience. Lots of rebuilds have used the original bearings on install. Can't order any before hand, need to split the case and look at the markings to determine crank journal and con rod bearing sizes. The bearing sizes are extremely close between the 5 different sizes. Have read various threads about using aftermarket auto bearings for these engines - didn't think I'd need the info, but will peruse again. On the Honda Civic type forums, con rod and crank journal bearings are discussed and the mindset is that it is okay to go up one size on install.

GL1100 Bearing sizes

Crank Bearing Sizes
Insert Thickness
mm inch
Blue 2.0100 to 2.0140 0.0791 to 0.0793
Black 2.0060 to 2.0100 0.0790 to 0.0791
Brown 2.0020 to 2.0060 0.0788 to 0.0790
Green 1.9880 to 2.0020 0.0787 to 0.0788
Yellow 1.9940 to 1.9980 0.0785 to 0.0787

Con Rod Bearing Sizes
Insert Thickness
mm inch
Blue 1.507 to 1.511 0.0593 to 0.0595
Black 1.503 to 1.507 0.0592 to 0.0593
Brown 1.499 to 1.503 0.059 to 0.0592
Green 1.495 to 1.499 0.0589 to 0.059
Yellow 1.491 to 1.495 0.0587 to 0.0589

Piston rings - Canuckxxxx rebuilt his 1100 and used rings from an early model Chev tracker - think he paid around $25.00 CDN for 4 piston ring set. Have the con rods checked for straight, and hone the cylinders. Do a hone yourself first, if the cylinder cleans up nicely, continue yourself or take into a machine shop. A cylinder hone may take out 90% or more of what you see, pretty good percentage. A good machine shop can give some options as well. You may be surprised how well they will clean up. The marks on the piston don't look too bad. Are the marks deep or is it a scuff? As long as the con rods are straight, no harm, no foul, same with the valves.

There are a lot of older GWs out there that spew blue smoke on start and its lived with. Lots of engines operating with low compression. Exhaust valves should be removed and cleaned. Just like a car, operates the way the owner is willing to accept, and the owner puts key in, starts engine and rides. Ignorance is bliss.

Too much invested in your project, don't give up just yet. Patience young Skywalker. :whip:

Had another thought. You were going to install and use the engine with the crank journal and con rod bearings sight unseen. If what I proposed in my previous post works out not too bad, install the old bearings, put engine back together, and use. Buying a used engine is exactly the same. Bearing condition unknown, but you would use the engine. These Honda engines are very forgiving. Just a thought.

Latest posts