81 wing resto.. Perth western Australia

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221616#p221616:1nkjsixo said:
aussiegold » 41 minutes ago[/url]":1nkjsixo]
just investigated the oil sight glass myself. this is the spare parts bike i bought that had a broken crankshaft. Ol Mate ( PO ) got tired of not being able to see the oil level so he put a bolt in the crankcase... :roll: View attachment 4
when I got the cases apart i was interested to see where the hole ended up on the inside. at this stage I was under the impression that the sight glass had an oring. anyway, here is a pic of the inside of the case. note how filthy the sight glass was.View attachment 3
after a fair bit of studying up, I decided to try tapping the glass out. I used a small diameter piece of
wooden dowel and a small soft blow hammer. came out fairly easily, as someone said, there would be bugger all oil pressure there. i discover, it was in fact a seal,View attachment 2
here is a picture of the size markings on the seal. I went off to the local supplier to see if they had one similar , but they didnt.View attachment 1
and , me being me, :roll: I decided to dismantle the whole setup. and kind of came to the conclusion that it would be nigh on impossible to rebuild. for me anyway. that sight glass is one thick piece of glass, approx 5mm thick.
and would be hard to break i reckon. now, i'm wondering if the later one with the little wiper setup
is glass ? might be slightly different material to make it easier to fit the wiper ?
here is the glass.
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php
You are thinking how I've been thinking... I reckon we would find a seal that fits. When I sized the diameter up with verniers it came up @ 40mm. I'm sure there would be a seal at that measurement. The later glas isn't as thick and sadly as I found out shatters pretty easily. Maybe I just didn't use enough heat...
I don't think it would be too hard to come up with a fix...
Just ordered a set of 1.0 OS pistons from US so I'll be able to move forward on that soon.
I've stripped out carbs today.. Individually. Crikey someone went to town with some sealer. I will be doing some other orders over coming weeks from keyster, randakks etc... Fun times.

So I started tinkering out in the garage. I stripped the 75 carbs.. Yes separately.... Soda blasted all main bodies and and plenum chamber and then put thru my ultrasonic bath. Man, someone went to town with some sort of sealer... Looked like it had been painted on...
I've now come to a realisation that I need to upgrade my sandblast cabinet... Or I should say upsize. So I'll put mine up on gumtree. I've made a few improvements like lighting, made a metering valve so it can be run on a minimal amount of media and swapped out easily as well for another media. I put casters on it as well so it can be moved around easily.
On the new cabinet I'll have to modify the feed system again as stock they are a syphon feed which is crap to be honest so I'll make a gravity feed set up again with a metering valve.
The new model comes with vacuum dust collector as well. So it's a complete set up.. About $2k aussie. A proper set... And I can fit wheels in it as well.
Plan is to also set it up as a vapor blast as well...

Attachments

• 20210328_133429.jpg
    20210328_133429.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_20210328-133104_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210328-133104_Chrome.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 104
A bit of polishing I started doing...

Attachments

• 20210328_113957.jpg
    20210328_113957.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 20210328_113937.jpg
    20210328_113937.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 109
#aussiegold... Regarding the oil sight glass... I reckon that if I'm unable to find a 40mm seal then I'll machine up a piece of tube. Use JB weld to secure it in there. Just a thought.. Where there's a will there's a way...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221626#p221626:27b20rj0 said:
Gc33 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:27 am[/url]":27b20rj0]
#aussiegold... Regarding the oil sight glass... I reckon that if I'm unable to find a 40mm seal then I'll machine up a piece of tube. Use JB weld to secure it in there. Just a thought.. Where there's a will there's a way...

yes. well ,I was able to find a 40mm seal no probs. the difficulty was finding one that the glass and chrome metal part would fit into on the internal side of the seal.
I think that original seal was a specially made one, because the inner metal part of the seal was rolled over to seal and hold the glass and metal thing in place. much like a speedo.
if a suitable seal is found, I'm reckoning a bit of Hi Temp silicon sealer would do the job.
just a thought.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221633#p221633:2bhv8og0 said:
aussiegold » Today- 1:03[/url]":2bhv8og0]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221626#p221626:2bhv8og0 said:
Gc33 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:27 am[/url]":2bhv8og0]

yes. well ,I was able to find a 40mm seal no probs. the difficulty was finding one that the glass and chrome metal part would fit into on the internal side of the seal.
I think that original seal was a specially made one, because the inner metal part of the seal was rolled over to seal and hold the glass and metal thing in place. much like a speedo.
if a suitable seal is found, I'm reckoning a bit of Hi Temp silicon sealer would do the job.
just a thought.
Yup... Or some jb weld... Or seal all seems to work really well too.
I reckon tho. With that seal you could get a custom piece of glass cut and seal that in... Not sure how to get the back plate on yet tho... Still work in progress

Today's effort. Just waiting on parts kits so I can fully reassemble the carbs now..

Attachments

• 20210329_181021.jpg
    20210329_181021.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 20210329_181017.jpg
    20210329_181017.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 103
New timing belt tensioners ready to go.... Total cost $30 aussie! Winner. :good:
This has to be one of my best wins yet. Just waiting now for the 1200 primary chain tensioner to arrive...

Attachments

• 20210330_140218.jpg
    20210330_140218.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 95
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221653#p221653:2bygn5v4 said:
Rednaxs60 » Today- 5:20[/url]":2bygn5v4]
Nice work - like the tensioner mod. The bolts look just a tad short?
Hey Ernest... Nah they are correct.. I just had not tightened them up all the way at that point.
I had watched a couple of videos and read a few posts on how to do it... Yours was the best and easiest way. And the countersunk bolts although not completely countersunk are way better than standard head bolts.
I buggered if I know why folks are cutting off with grinder or hacksaw.... 13mm drill bit, hammer and punch is way easier, cleaner and not to mention safer.
I cleaned up both the 75 and the aspy diffs today. Glass blasted them and almost ready to paint. I'll run out of things to blast soon til I get the new cabinet.
Gave the 75 frame a bit of a rub back. Hoping to final coat it tomorrow. Then swingarm and front end can go in...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221653#p221653:1f0q1f3y said:
Rednaxs60 » Today, 5:20 am[/url]":1f0q1f3y]
I used used longer bolts, locknuts, star lock washers, and red loctite.
Don’t want those sons a bitches coming loose.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221656#p221656:3pyrnngk said:
dan filipi » Today- 6:32[/url]":3pyrnngk]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221653#p221653:3pyrnngk said:
Rednaxs60 » Today, 5:20 am[/url]":3pyrnngk]
I used used longer bolts, locknuts, star lock washers, and red loctite.
Don’t want those sons a bitches coming loose.
Plenty of length on bolts here. I just hadn't tightened them all up at that point.
No.. You can't be too careful with these things...

Attachments

• 20210331_044112.jpg
    20210331_044112.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20210331_044119.jpg
    20210331_044119.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 124
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221663#p221663:28eiz3e3 said:
Rednaxs60 » Today- 14:31[/url]":28eiz3e3]
You may want to grind down and smooth out the raised bolt head. Lots of meat in the hex when this is done in case you have to replace.
Yeah I wasn't sure until I fit it. I will do though... I was almost going to tack a weld onto it but I don't reckon it needs it. May remove the bolt and throw some loctite around the countersunk area. Don't think I'll be worrying too much about it in the rest of my lifetime once it's done...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221670#p221670:2dn2xop7 said:
dan filipi » 52 minutes ago[/url]":2dn2xop7]
Idler very nicely done. I especially like the look and finish of the Allen head bolt, too bad it won’t be seen.
I think it's more for the clearance behind that countersunk is selected? Looking at some other vids of people drilling holes in the plates behind for bolts to get full movement?
Why wouldn't you use countersunk...
Thanks to Ernest (rednax 60) for parts list...

More goodies arrived while I was away at work for the week... 1200 tensioner :BigGrin:

Attachments

• 20210409_083353.jpg
    20210409_083353.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 124
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221616#p221616:3pxaz9zy said:
aussiegold » 2021-03-27- 2:13[/url]":3pxaz9zy]
just investigated the oil sight glass myself. this is the spare parts bike i bought that had a broken crankshaft. Ol Mate ( PO ) got tired of not being able to see the oil level so he put a bolt in the crankcase... :roll: View attachment 5
when I got the cases apart i was interested to see where the hole ended up on the inside. at this stage I was under the impression that the sight glass had an oring. anyway, here is a pic of the inside of the case. note how filthy the sight glass was.View attachment 4
after a fair bit of studying up, I decided to try tapping the glass out. I used a small diameter piece of
wooden dowel and a small soft blow hammer. came out fairly easily, as someone said, there would be bugger all oil pressure there. i discover, it was in fact a seal,View attachment 3
here is a picture of the size markings on the seal. I went off to the local supplier to see if they had one similar , but they didnt.View attachment 2
and , me being me, :roll: I decided to dismantle the whole setup. and kind of came to the conclusion that it would be nigh on impossible to rebuild. for me anyway. that sight glass is one thick piece of glass, approx 5mm thick.
and would be hard to break i reckon. now, i'm wondering if the later one with the little wiper setup
is glass ? might be slightly different material to make it easier to fit the wiper ?
here is the glass.View attachment 1
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php
I found something that may do the job... It's a BMW glass...remove the circlip... I reckon it would work...
https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/produ ... vel906.htm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210409-192204_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210409-192204_Chrome.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 110
Did a bit blasting parts today for the 75. I used low pressure glass for these parts. It's not as harsh as sand. I was thinking of just clear coating the brake hangers as they came up pretty good. Think I will paint them tho...
The brake bodies will painted but am undecided whether to paint hangers or just clear coat them. When I've blasted them it looked like they were only clear coated from factory.

Attachments

• 20210409_193719.jpg
    20210409_193719.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 114

Latest posts