82 Interstate makeover

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frame is powder coated. Now waiting on some parts to get it back together.

I do need some help in figuring out the rear shocks. Are you guys replacing the entire shock with a progressive unit, or rebuilding with progressive parts. I would like to keep the stock look of the shock if I can.

Also, since this project seems to be adding up quick, do I need to spend the money on fork springs? My 1800 will still be my main rider, but I will still be riding this one periodically. Like on 70 degree days with 37% humidity and no clouds. :Egyptian:
frame powdercoated.JPG

Looks so nice kinda hate to touch it.

The rears can be rebuilt with Progressives springs for under 1/2 the cost of new Progressives air shocks. At least that was true at one time. I think the last source we had stopped selling them. Have you found a source for rears?

The most bang for the buck would be both front and rear redone but either can be done at any time.

I'm in the process of rebuilding shocks and forks. I'm using OEM parts and the old springs to keep costs down. I know someone will suggest Progressive springs, but honestly I don't want to spend the extra dough for a non daily rider. I fully understand the handling is better, but heck, the stock stuff has worked for me so far. Once I get the ole girl done, it will be reserved for those perfect days and not a lot of hard riding.

I do however, live off the highway a couple miles and endure some washboard/pothole type roads. I keep my speed less than 20mph, but I would like opinions on ATF or fork oil for these conditions. Keep in mind that the vast majority of riding is nice straight highway riding.

I re-built my forks and shocks using stock springs and used DexronII. It's what Honda used and it won't deteriorate with time. I have a nice highway ride. I try not to second guess Honda.

i just went ahead and bought the 419 progressive shocks and progressive fork springs , i know its and small fortune but i just wanted new . bought from dennis kirt for 380.00 for all with free shipping

countryboy843":30qrajmw said:
i just went ahead and bought the 419 progressive shocks and progressive fork springs , i know its and small fortune but i just wanted new . bought from dennis kirt for 380.00 for all with free shipping
I am assuming you bought a complete set of shocks. One thing I do want to do is keep the stock look. Am I correct in thinking you can put new springs in the old housing for less money?

Ok, I feel dumb. I bought the Randakk rebuild kit with the pieces for the petcock included. How the heck do you take the petcock apart? Are those screws or some kind of rivets? I know I'm half blind, but mine look smooth and they have never been touched.

Finally found what I was looking for on Randakks site. The style I have is fastened together with rivets so at least I'm not losing all my marbles. He says to drill out the rivets and tap for screws. There ya go.