83 GL1100I Finally on the Road

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBAJIM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After about 10 years working on & off , I finally got my 83 GL1100I licensed and insured and on the road. I have 2 other bikes that I ride that have kept me busy over the years as well as working around the house & yard, etc.

Basically went from front to back rebuilding & replacing just about everything mechanical so this bike should be a very reliable ride.

Has more power that I thought it would - cruises along nicely @ 83 mph. A little wind issue tho. If I duck down a bit not problem with the wind. I have a laminar lip on my ST1100 that really didn't make much of a difference ( in gas mileage - that's why I bought it ) , so I think I'll see if it will fit on the GL1100I. I really don't want to buy another windshield unless it's absolutely necessary.

Attachments

• GL1100 Interstate.jpg
    GL1100 Interstate.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 11
nice looking bike, but let me ask did you replace the backrest on the trunk? I havent been able to find that style replacement. just the shorter ones.

I know what you mean if your wearing a helmet it will buffet your head around I have a clamp on wind deflector I have yet to try it but I am sure it will help.

After about 10 years working on & off , I finally got my 83 GL1100I licensed and insured and on the road. I have 2 other bikes that I ride that have kept me busy over the years as well as working around the house & yard, etc.

Basically went from front to back rebuilding & replacing just about everything mechanical so this bike should be a very reliable ride.

Has more power that I thought it would - cruises along nicely @ 83 mph. A little wind issue tho. If I duck down a bit not problem with the wind. I have a laminar lip on my ST1100 that really didn't make much of a difference ( in gas mileage - that's why I bought it ) , so I think I'll see if it will fit on the GL1100I. I really don't want to buy another windshield unless it's absolutely necessary.
Congratulations on keeping the old girl on the road. That's a good looking bike. I have the same bike and went through a similar process. We use it for two up touring around Ohio.

Latest posts