'84 1200 engine for a '82 GW

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe Joe did 1100 heads with 1000 ignition on his AngryDresser build. I think he had to hand-fit ( grind a little) either the head or the ignition housing to make it work. He then used 1000 cams in the 1100 heads to run it. The 1100 heads won't have the stub for the points or electronic version. In the long haul it might be a good way to go as you'd be ready for C5 when you win the Lotto. There might be more room in the 1100 frame. I have one sitting waiting for me to put a 1200 engine in. Probably this winter as I have too many house obligations to fill and I'd like to build a garage if my hip would get better. I run my current Schizoid bike with open belt covers, but last summer I bolted 1000 covers on with no rubber seal and just the outside bolts in. They never moved or loosened up on me. It leaves a small gap in the center by the crank pulley. To most people it looks like a 1000 with the heads and carbs. The only obvious give away is the dipstick. It's the best dipstick mod I know of...lol.

I just remembered the belt cover backers, the ones the bolt to the front of the head, don't line up right. I hack-drilled some holes that do line up in the heads. The 1200 back plates are different as I recall. I really can't remember which back plates I used. It's not totally bolt-and-go but close.

Just snapped some pics. Top is 1000 , bottom is 1200. You can see the left side is much wider, thicker than the 1000. Other ways to skin the cat, I'm sure.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I think I would go with my 1100 heads and cams at first. I would need to get a 1000 points setup to mount on the left head. Maybe my machinist friend could add the Ign shaft to my 1100 cam. Would then just have to wait for lotto win.

New c5 ignition can be adapted to fit the stock 1200 head and cam. That will eliminate any need to change heads or to reuse a mix of stock ignition parts. 1200 motor will fit right in the 1100 from with no modifications. Add the 1200 swingarm rear with drive shaft and no need to change out put shaft.

Hey look what I have!! :rocks: It's not the engine I was talking about in my first post...it's an '84. Which I think, should make the swap easier from what I gather from knowledgeable comments. All I know is what the owner told me about it: from a bike gently ridden by a little old lady, highway miles only (even though she lived in town??? :shock: ). Seriously all I know is that it turns over freely and according to the serial number chart, that Backlander directed me to, it is a California bike. I will be doing more testing in the next few days to see what I have bought. Paid $400.

In the mean time I know you guys love pictures.

Brian

What are these tubes?

The thing that will make the whole engine swap worth while...a dipstick instead of that damned sight glass

:clapping: :clapping:
Even though crawling around on the ground to check the oil is good for your circulation! :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151594#p151594:2hymtnm9 said:
dan filipi » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:07 pm[/url]":2hymtnm9]
The dipstick is great!

Those tubes are carrying oil. I can't say what exactly they are supplying oil to.

Hmm, they are right in the way of my coolant supply connection to the centre coolant thing.
:thanks:

Oil distribution line is what they're called in manual, supplying oil to different points in motor is my guess. Nice looking motor, starter is special, & different from other 1200's, lucky its there, often already gone

I believe the oil tubes supply oil to the left head, and the starter clutch/alternator bearings. Because of the longer stroke (wider block and taller crankcase) on the 1200, the internal oil crossover passage could not be easily machined, so they went with external tubing.

Yours has a coolant supply in the front, by the thermostat. The 1200's ( not sure if it was all 1200's) got rid of the internal bypass and used a hose from the water pump to the top. I'm pretty sure your first pic shows it sticking up there. You may have to find the front cover piece by the looks.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151607#p151607:2ka8xcze said:
Steve83 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:56 pm[/url]":2ka8xcze]
I believe the oil tubes supply oil to the left head, and the starter clutch/alternator bearings. Because of the longer stroke (wider block and taller crankcase) on the 1200, the internal oil crossover passage could not be easily machined, so they went with external tubing.

OK, good to know, Steve. Better not mess with those.

Brian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151614#p151614:3gctidf1 said:
ekvh » Today, 3:47 am[/url]":3gctidf1]
Yours has a coolant supply in the front, by the thermostat. The 1200's ( not sure if it was all 1200's) got rid of the internal bypass and used a hose from the water pump to the top. I'm pretty sure your first pic shows it sticking up there. You may have to find the front cover piece by the looks.
Not all 1200's had that hose coming off the lower cover, as I recall the fuel injected model used it.

With regards to the coolant recirculation: Eric I think you are right.

Here is a shot of the top of my GL1100 and I am pointing to where the recirc goes down through the block

Now here is a shot of my GL1200. The top piece is the same casting but that down passage, in the block, is just not there.

So, where do you think the external recirc connections are? Here is another shot of the top.

And down at the pump.

Note: Once I have my single carb setup on there and the coolant supply to the plenum I will have a recirc circuit.

Brian

One of the first things I want to do is hook a battery to the starter, spin the engine over and do compression tests. So I took the front belt covers off and checked the valve timing. I think something is amiss here.

I took the right side valve cover off and watch the intake valve on #1, turned the engine over until the intake closed and then turned until T1 lined up with the marks on the case.

The marks on the cam wheels and the case line up pretty good on the right side.

But the left side looks to be out by at least one tooth of the cam wheel

You can also see that the "up" spoke is not straight up.

What do you guys think?

Brian

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151627#p151627:1hrnw79d said:
dan filipi » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:19 am[/url]":1hrnw79d]
It does recirculate, that's why the bleed hole in the thermostat is so important on the 1200.

So, Dan, are you saying that the recirc on the 1200s is done with a bleed hole in the T'stat?

Latest posts