85 Aspencade with the wobbles that might fall down :)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor

Reaction score
:help:

Prior to doing a lot of front end work on this bike (rebuilt the forks, bleeding the brakes, a new tire and fender dressings) I could totally let got of my handlebars and this bike would stay straight and steady.

Since the rebuild my MPG is really bad (220 miles before 160 miles to a tank now) and if I let got of the handle bars with one hand a slight wobble and if I let go with both the bike is definitely going down. Yet, I feel no wobble/vibration when I am properly placing both hand on the handlebar.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if perhaps a brake is dragging - yet I don't hear anything ???

hmmmmmmm...are the fork tubes in the same possition as before work in the tree....is one of the brakes not releaseing all the way on the front ...check after a ride for temp difference in the rotors....check new tire for out of round ...tires suck now days for these bikes in quality and competion is at the lowest level ....did you get the fork oil the same on each side ....personally id say if mileage is down there must be some brake sticking going on

Joe, Thanks for the quick reply. However, I am about to show my ignorance. I have no earthly clue if the forks are in the same position nor any idea how to see if they are. Hopefully, the skies will clear and I can check the brake (left vs right) operating temp - by touch. I "think" the tire is in good condition. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that the fork fluid levels are exactly the same. I am praying that you are right about the brake dragging... the riding season is about on me and my wallet is about broke. I cannot afford any more immediate expensive repairs. :)

I don't see how rebuilding the forks, bleeding the brakes, and a new tire would cause a shake unless the tire is bad.
Out of round or grooves/tread not straight maybe?
It should have improved if anything with a new tire.
The only difference otherwise from how it was before are the added fender dressings.
I'd try taking them off back to how it was and try it under the same conditions.

dont worry its something simple im sure ....if you never loosen the tubes in the tree ...its not an issue ...if you did ...then just make sure there the same on both side as any deviation dose the same thing to the front axcle ...just time slowly look at everything you did and some possible tweaking

try putting the bike on the centerstand and loosen the front forks in the triple clamps. Loosen the front axle. Look to be sure everything is where it is supposed to be. Forks even with the triple clamp top. All the parts on the axle in order. Then before tightening it back up. Clamp the tire between your legs and turn the bars both ways a few times then back to centered. Tighten the triple clamps then tighten the axle as instructed in the manual. It could be that parts are just a bit out of alignment.

Omega Man":168ykc1l said:
Dynabeads... :read:

~O~
That brings up the question, were the tires balanced when they were mounted?
Out of balance could cause a wobble.

My 83 wobbles in turns. front forks where leaking and new tire was put on backwards when last serviced. Tearing it down now, noticed that one fork is sitting about 1/16 inch higher in the tree than the other. Local honda service says the bearing in the tree may have a flat spot, dont really want to change that but may have to. The honda service guys are always so dramatic, if it were up to them I should move on to something newer.

The forks need to be level in the triple trees otherwise your axle is not parallel, this will produce handling issues.

Agree with Ansip and Joe. It's more critical that they be equal than I had thought. I went through the same thing until I finally measured the amount of fork sticking above the triple trees. It was off maybe a 32nd but was enough to cause low speed wobble with little pressure on the bars. I measured and adjusted and the wobble was gone. Slab outlined the correct procedure for tightening.

Wow, so many great replies and so much information to check out.

Concerning the wheel balancing. This time I did not mount the tire myself. I supplied the installer with directions and dynabeads. My "assumption" is that the beads were properly installed. I am currently using the dynabeads in my rear tire, which I did personally mount and have not had any perceived balance problems in over five hundred miles on that rear tire.

UPDATES:

I noticed the right side axle holder had been installed backwards and was very loose. I reinstalled and tightened to specs. I noticed that the dive setting were not the same. I set both sides to 2.

The next day I noticed the front tire had been installed in the wrong direction. The same axle holder was loose again. I could not break the bead so took the tire back to the same place that installed it. I paid them again to break the bead and reinstall the tire correctly. Brought the tire back found it had not been seated and refilled. I could not get it to seat. Brought it back to the same place and had them seat and fill the tire.

Brought the tire back to my shop and remounted everything AGAIN. However the weather was to severe for a test ride (sleeting and snowing) so I put that off until today.

Went to my shop knowing the bike was road worthy and ready to run.

No Go. It is still wobbling but not as severely. However, after a fifteen mile ride the axle holder is still tight. :)

Back to the "let's try this next board" I guess. :(

Did you try my suggestion? Something must still be out of alignment. Both triple clamps must align.

If its not as bad now that the tire is spinning in the right direction my first thought is the tire has been damaged.

I think you need a new mechanic. Did he use that shim to set the front wheel? I have seen where the rotor rubs on the bracket very hard to see with the wheel back on

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

UPDATE 4/6/13:

Went to the Church's bike shop today (Again) Put the bike on the center stand placed a lift and a board under the engine and jacked her up probably another three to four inches. Loosened all of the tree screws, removed the brakes, removed the fender and the fender garnish, removed the axle holder, the front wheel and finally the fork stabilizer.

At that point I made absolutely certain that both forks were absolutely level with the fork equalizer (The right fork had been above the equalizer approximately a 32nd of an inch.) Attached the front wheel than held it centered as someone else turned my handlebars left and right a few times then returned them to dead center. I then tightened all six tree screws and removed the tire.

I removed the tire for the sole purpose of ease with the re-installation of the fender and fender garnish, After completing that step I loosely re-installed the front tire and then the brake system and speedometer sending unit. At this point I tightened the axle holder by the service manual technique and specs. Finally the fork stabilizer was installed and tightened.

The result? 98% of the wobble is gone! :) Went home picked up my Lady and rode. We rode the bike to church this evening for our campfire fellowship/celebration and just got back home. The ride was fantastic again.

Now I remember why I love my Gold Wing. Tomorrow ride it to church and then to a GWRRA officer's planning meeting.

I am guessing but I think perhaps the tiny bit of wobble remaining may be a result of riding with the tire backwards so I am not going to worry about it for now.

Thank you to everyone out there who provided me with thoughts, guidance and motivation. :)

Dave H...
Prsofessor

Latest posts