86 Rear wheel driven flange

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julimike54

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl1200AS
Well after the last tire change I thought it best to change out the rear final drive, due to the splines being a bit worn :rant: I think I've already ranted somewhere about how this got there.

image.php

After cleaning the rear wheel driven flange I see what appears to be half worn off splines...

image.php

2nd image if first doesn't show well

image.php

Kind of surprised that the final drive spline is softer than the wheel spline. Would have thought that it would where the other way around. So the question I have is does it look too worn? Final drive I bought is about 28K miles and looks almost new on the splines, ie nice square machined nibs. I think I need to start looking for p/n 42614-ML8-670 FLANGE, FINAL DRIVEN.

Yeah or Neah?

I haven't looked recently but last time I looked on ebay for GL1200 rear wheel there were more than a few. If you use the old drive flange it will beat the splines in the new drive unit to death.

And don't try to use an 84 with and 86, they are different, try to stay with the same year model. Look in the similar topics below and read the wheel truth 84-87 and it will tell you what is what

most are on the wheel when they are sold .....any 1200 wheel and flange set up will fit your new final drive.....you can look for 88-89 drive flange too ...they fit your 86 wheel

Try contacting some of the vendors here and on ebay. I had no luck on bikestrippers.com but maybe if asked they'd have one.

Been following your thread as I am interested in keeping the '85 LTD I have going for quite some time. Found a NOS flange in Ontario, but no joy on the gear set for the final drive, will keep looking.

Picked up the Clymer service manual for '84 to '86 GWs last night and did a quick perusal of it. Noticed in one section it talked about the cush dampers and mentioned that if these were worn/damaged to replace them as a set. I know that thes are not available. Have you checked yours?

When I first got my '85, I went looking for cush dampers and found a fellow that had made them, had the jig made to make more and had the pieces to make them with. I have a set of these for my bike just in case. Just thought I'd ask.

Good luck on your search, I have had to contact a lot of dealers throughout the US to get specific items, been interesting.

Cheers

ALL JOY! Located, ordered, ship today. Found the part at Greens Cycle Salvage. :yahoo:

Yes the cush drives are in great shape, unless they are softer than supposed to be and I have no idea how I'd check that.
If you're looking for a final drive unit, Greens has that also, don't think they'll take it apart for the drive gear, but I guess you could ask
https://greenscyclesalvage.com/

Well the final update to this project. Ordered all new O rings, dust seal for wheel and bearings for wheel. Put all back together with Moly paste where required (surprising the number of places that it is called for). Was dreading the drive shaft install, but one miss fit and the shaft popped right into place :clapping: . Once all assembled I replaced the Final Drive fluid. Put all the tupperware back on, cleaned it all up, checked fluids and air. Went out for 2 test rides and all is quite. I can tell there is a significant decrease in drive line play now that all the splines aren't worn down to nothing :Egyptian:

Again thanks to all for their help/suggestions! :yes:

Latest posts