Back Surgery Question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmartin

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone on the forum has had a fusion back surgery and how they feel afterwards riding their wing?
On 6/15I am scheduled to have an L5-S1 disc removed then the joint fused together. I realize that ends this years riding, am wanting to know what to expect next year? Since our bikes are heavy, my mind is full of what it's right now.
The surgeon I found uses robotics for the surgery,So not a lot of muscle is disturbed. He even 3d prints the area he is going to work on, to practice the right angles to get to the disc.

I guess this will give some time to redo my single carb runners and replace the seat with a better cushion for next year.
Thanks

Thanks guys.
I did visit my son in Indy today and managed to walk 5 miles at the Indy Speedway. It actually was more of a hobbling stumble. :) But it was fun to watch the cars run. On the backstretch they hit 243 mph. Pretty awesome.

They are awesome to watch. I got to see the 500 once. It was a long time ago - so long that Andretti won! There is a lot of walking involved to do most anything there. For your back, listen to the doctors, but make sure you have the BEST! No one has more interest in your health than you.

I had a C5-C6 discectomy and fusion due to a long, slow, and gradually more painful collapse about 12 years ago. In the 10 years leading up to the collapse, I stopped bicycling, then stopped wearing a helmet, then stopped motorcycling... I had nerve pain through my left arm, shoulder and neck, and eventually loss of motor and sensory function in my ulnar and radial nerve groups... with the constriction of the collapse (think O-ring jammed down a garden hose), the collapse impacted practically every aspect of my health, too.

L1-S5 problems will certainly make for uncomfortable life and challenging walking... but loss of motion due to fusion isn't going to be as considerable of an impact on your life, than what you're dealing with now. It won't keep you from riding a motorcycle or bicycle, it won't keep you from doing any usual life things.

With regard to the fusion, Denver is correct in that a fusion will result in that joint becoming motionless, however, this one has caused me no inability whatsoever. I'm back to bicycling, motorcycling, and yes, wearing a helmet. If I had any sort of data prior for comparison, I would estimate that my total range of deflection in any plane to be less than 5 degrees.

In a compound fusion comparison, I have a friend who's had several fusion points (car accident) including L1-S5 and she teaches yoga, and exceeds most other women half her age.

My only regret for my C5/6 fusion, is that it wasn't done sooner. I cannot replace the impact of the decade-and-a-half lost, and all the collateral damage of that pain.

broke neck in 98.insurance kept denying the problem. c5-6-7 fusion after a neurosurgeon took my case. i still ride. if i had followed the path of socialized medicine, i would be depressed , on dope, broke and homeless.

Blessed to live through a wreck with a jaguar that was running 150 mph and rear ended me ...my back was broke by a perfect fitting hi back bucket seat ..not sure how anyone involved lived but we all did ...wore a brace non stop.for a long time ...

I had C-2 through C-6 fusion with 4 plastic disc's inserted and screws and rods to hold it altogether. This was a result of a lifetime of abuse to this body. I lost all motion and feeling to my right arm before surgery. This was Aug. 2022. I went back to work after three months in a neck brace. FOLLOW YOUR DOCTORS INSTRUCTIONS. Do not push it. The best advice is lots of walking every day. Two to three miles minimum every day. I am mostly back to normal with a loss of mobility in my neck.
GOOD LUCK AND WALK, WALK, AND WALK SOME MORE.

Blessed to live through a wreck with a jaguar that was running 150 mph and rear ended me ...my back was broke by a perfect fitting hi back bucket seat ..not sure how anyone involved lived but we all did ...wore a brace non stop.for a long time ...
good to see you are posting still. Hope all is well with you.