Bertha's Single Carb Conversion Chapter Deaux Plus a major transplant revival

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krakum1967

Reaction score
Well,

Stovebold carb, and spacer and a filter assembly are on the way from stovebolt. Just ordered the jbug type 4 plenum. I have a lot of services to do over the next 3 to 4 days, so I am putting this to bed during shipping. I left the bad manifold off, and the EMPI experiment is no longer in site. It will be boxed up and returned.

I will begin with the runners. I will go to Oreallys tomorrow and look over some option on the runner tubes, including support. I will look things over on the line.

The transplant went well, we did use the existiong setup to get it to kick over, we transplanted the Dyna Ignition to the new motor, the timing is being odd. As I go through the static process, the light light up before the right bank timing mark lines up. I have moved the adjuster all the way in the direction I am supposed to. Could this be a timing belt issue, yes, I will order some, or will I need to slightly the dyna to allow that sendor to move just a little further? The outlined process say to set the left side by turning the entire plate, once the light lights up, you turn the plate till the light you connect lights up with the left timing mark in place. When this happens, tighten it, than you work with the other side and set it to where the right side lights up on the timing mark as you adjust the other sensor by loosening the allen screw. I have to play with it some more, but I am thinking it is being weird.

I have to walk through it again tomorrow, but its being weird.

No Points, Dyna S is pointless, well its not totally pointless, its your ignition, that does not have a point....I know, I am joking.

On the carb conversion, I ordered 2 - 1.5" by 24" Premium Series Grab Bars with pre-heliarc welded joints on the grab bar flanges, looks like some preventative sealant and trimming, new gasket (I cut my own), and some mild drilling, and I am good on the head side. Now to connect the grab bars to the manifold, I can do that. These are coming from Home Depot, I ordered 24 inchers cause they ship for free.

Now we wait.

And on expense:

1- $164 for the carb, the flange, and the filter sold at Stovebolt with shipping.
2- $49 for the Premium 1.5 inch grab bars
3- $64.oo so far, I was not given a shipping expense yet for the VW Type 3 or 4 EMPI Manifold at jbugs
4- $20.00 for unilink kit
5- $0.00 - I have the gasket material, can use some creativity for height adjustment based on comments by joe and others. I have black plastidip to keep my changes in color schemes supported, the only unseen expense is jbugs shipping.
6- $10.00 I will need discs for my cutting tools in bulk at a discount hardware store regional to the dakotas - Macs

Total so far, $307.00

return fees for the previous kit - $359.00 after I pay to ship them back I am sure.

So I am actaully breaking even and getting a refund so far for a better system.

Yea the more I read, the more I found wrong, I get more than I am putting back in the return, its the right decision, I do not need to eat this one.

One thought, I wanted to wrap the manifolds to match the exhaust wrap I will be doing in the future, is this wise, or should I paint?

I had some concerns on the filter. It is 7.5 inches wide at the widest flange so positioning it is going to be a variable.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122262#p122262:2rg7tkcu said:
krakum1967 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:32 pm[/url]":2rg7tkcu]
Yea the more I read, the more I found wrong, I get more than I am putting back in the return, its the right decision, I do not need to eat this one.

One thought, I wanted to wrap the manifolds to match the exhaust wrap I will be doing in the future, is this wise, or should I paint?

I had some concerns on the filter. It is 7.5 inches wide at the widest flange so positioning it is going to be a variable.

I think this would be a first. Not sure if it would help or hinder performance. In theory it would reduce the effect of the ambient air on the air/fuel mix and possibly allow better heat transfer from the heads to the runners. Worth a try is my vote.

I heard from them, the carb, the adapter, a steel plate he sells for adapting the flat filter to our needs, and a flat filter to modify will be how its set up. He will send instructions and has changed the order accordingly, should drop my total a bit too, that always helps. I also returned the Solex based K&N Filter to Oreally's!!!!

Runners and the carb stuff hit the mail tomorrow, now I just need to hear back on the Type 4 manifold

i have found with the grab bar runners ....that it is very easy to tell whats going on inside the runners with just a touch on the runners ....it seems there is merit to the reverse way of looking at this .... my set up is insulated close to the type 4 with the hose connectors about half way down the runners .....and the other half is open to the head .... it seems to help the charge ... some what like a intercooler does in a supercharger set up .... this means the charge is cooler and more dense ...witch makes the charge more powerful than if it was heated up more .... the thin but strong grab bar stainless steel runners really makes this principal work the best as to cooling the charge....so i am on a completely different page from what everyone else is thinking .....i have a car that is supercharge and intercooled ....its not running right now but i have years of experience with ....and the similarities of this car and hooches runners are about the same ... on the car when the charge comes out on the air to air intercooler it is about the same as the hooch is and cool right to manifold entry .... this car is a monster also as the speed of the car increases ...this car will bark the tires at over 70mph just changing gears ....it seems hooch runs like this as there seems to be no bad spot anywhere except idle ......it surges there some .... i personaly think if one gets the charge right ...icing is no issue at all ... this car ran great on sub zero days humid days and whatever days always ... i am hoping hooch does too and will make no heating device unless i have to :mrgreen:

I am still weighing my oil cooler plenum heater thoughts too, but I have not had a great amount of time to locate the adapter or the cooler, the only one I saw is costly, and I think we can all guess where that one is made, I would love to have A spin on filter though. For now its about getting the old girl back to life. But Tom is such a super great and nice man, he said he added an adapter to allow the rectangle filter to work, and the air filter, and still kept the price in my orignal amounts.

We discussed the heater, and all that

yes i think he is a great guy and in general hes right id say i am talking just this particular build as it pretaines to the grab bars and what is happening on my bike ... not a overall application of this carb on other things and it is just thoughts of the moment as we are in rather unicing season

Jbugs shipped the manifold. Now I have to go cut up the stainless on my current plenum so I can use that for a mounting plate.

Would love to see someone have some 1/2" stainless stock welded to the bottom of the grab bars to thicken the mounting plates. Stainless is harder to work with.

I cut the mount area off the stock insulator. These will be used to pattern steel feet for the runners. This is supposed to happen, my welder had an emergency, so if he is still out of town, I will just use the standard or proven methods to get the bike on the road, and do changes come project time (winter).

The manifold is on the way, the tubing will be here tomorrow. I am using marine grade rubber fuel filling tube for the runner rubber pieces.

So as the things come in I will be doing tasks.

I finished my inspection on one customer bike today, the customer tried the "I thought your labor prices included the parts?" trick. Yea....they looked over their notes which included a clearly outlined service invoice, and a blank parts invoice that was left as to be determined by the technical inspection.

They need an RR, and a battery, they are waiting on the tire. I hate it when they do that. But I know budgets are tight.

The third bike is starting tomorrow, I am tunbing and cleaning up an old Virago 920. I am also working on a later model 85 Virago 1000. Yea, fun stuff. So at this point the Virago 1000 and the GS650 are waiting on parts, I have one more bike to work on tomorrow.

Yea, I have to get things done, I get to trike a VTX1800, Yes! Ought to be an interesting match. Its the champion line.

Latest posts