Bertha's Single Carb Conversion Chapter Deaux Plus a major transplant revival

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That ss is extremely hard. Ran thru 6 bits on my first two bars before I took Joe's idea and started using my Dremel cut off wheels and slotting the mounting holes. The cutoff wheels work much better (thanks for the idea Joe) and then using a round file to shape out to the desired effect. A little more manual labor intense but so much more effective.

I have a set of those v shaped high tension bits, those things are pretty tuff, I will use the dremel idea to locate the holes though, that is a great idea joe.

The Car, the adapter riser, the filter, and the rubber hose are here, enough to get started after I finish services today.

Yes, I thought about using 1.25 cause jbugs sells that rubber adapter, but I noticed the runners will be at a slight angle, and everyone elese seems to be using the 1.5 so I went that way.

Oh I am going on a parts run for a regulator for that GS650, my junkyard guy has my radiator, RR and radiator for 10 bucks, not too bad, not too bad.

Carb, adapter and filter are here, I may contact tom, the USPS had to crush the box and of course it crushed the filter, its like they use the x-ray to find EXACTLY where and what to damage, I swear. Runners and the manifold are next, Turns out that the hose I ordered is actually spring lined with the spring embedded in the rubber. According to some designs I have seen here and other sites, these could be used for runners from the manifold to the stock intake boots.

But still knee deep in the paid project, got the RR today and am starting assembly as that thing has to be at the bottom of the air box, in the middle of that underseat electrical cluster. Washing parts and putting things together, I will get the bowls and tops off the carbs and get them soaking in the mean green (generic simple green). 24 hours later start cleaning, scrubbing, probing and getting them put back together, be glad to have this one down the road. Easy project and easy carbs, but customer is weird, bike has been sitting for four years and he wants me to wait on dropping the oil, really???

Hey Krakum, do you happen to have a part number for the hose you bought? I've been trying to track some down to try that aside from the grab bar idea. I'm interested in trying the hose method since I'm not much of a welder. Would you happen to have a link or part number?

Thanks, Joe. I'm planning to run the grab bars from the VW Intake to the OEM elbows on the heads. How can we accommodate the offset without welding? Seems like everyone I've seen post on here using the grab bars has either used the bend that comes with the grab bar, and go right into the intake ports on the heads, cutting out the stock elbows, or they've cut and welded into an "S" shape to take the bend out. I'm not rich by any means, or have access to welding equipment, and my concern was the cost of the welds, which is why I was going to try using the fuel rated hose as westgl did. Thank you for your help!!

ok the grab bars ... on mine and most of the others ...the grab bars go to the type4 vw manifold ..but not in it ... they are cut close to but short of the type4 outlets..... each one is cut on a different angle ...two of them are on more angle than the oher two .... as for connecting ...i personally went down to auto parts store and they let me go back and look at radiator hoses ... i looked for 1 1/2" hoses and found one that was long enough and had some preformed bends in it that made all 4 connectors to the grab bar and type4 outlets ....using the preformed bends wher they made the angle really close to what i needed and other parts of the hose where it was more strait ....i have had no problems with this set up at all ...the hose cost about 20$ i think ...if you go to the thread hooch is getting a new fuel source you can what the last deal is i used ...actually the thread evolved from several methods and ended in the final set up ...

IMG_20140626_104525%5B1%5D.jpg
Yep, in fact I may end up getting radiator hose, this stuff is Very stiff. I think it may make a great runner though. There is a guy on one of the other GL sites that used this type of tubing for his runners cause it holds the weight of the setup. But I am doing like Joe and others have done.

Here is the part though and its SKU. I got it from wholesale marine. SKU is MPI-350-1120. https://www.wholesalemarine.com

Here is a picture of the tube.

i had hose tougher than that on my first try ... the green stripe stuff is much more stiffer.. it was use hydraulic line from semi trucks that i just had .... and is where the guy your talking of got the idea to use it ... it just wont stay sealed through differnt weather condition as they change and i drop the the set up ... i did not come up with my set up right out of the blocks ... thats for sure LOL.... the input from others and the way this forum works had huge assets to what i have now

Oh the guy on the other site peeled oaa the rubber off the stock manifold adaptor going to the head,and slip the 1.5 inch ID tube over the top of the ridge left behind by removing the rubber. Its red GL on steves site.

Was that hooch? lol...anyway, I am going with the SS runners, the more joints I can remove the better. In fact, my son's welding future father in law wants to weld my adaptor to the plate that bolts on the plenum. He said we could just bead the whole thing up, and I may take him up on it. Gasket below the carbs, and gaskets on the head after this.

i will say one thing here ..the flex in runners makes sealing at head a since ... with the radiator hose connectors ...that seal there perfect too ... ive had no problems what so ever in sealing

You guys are a life saver. I really appreciate your help. I get paid in the morning so I'll be getting parts tomorrow. I have had this bike for two years almost and still have yet to get it to run. Really can't tell you how much I appreciate your help on this!

I did as Joe from reading his threads and cut the grab bars just short of the type 4 plenum. I used fuel filler hose (gates #20204) which is 1 1/2 diameter and married the grab bars to the plenum with this. Its reinforced hose that is fuel rated so any fuel comes into contact with it will not effect it. I have felt of the hose under load and cannot detect any squeezing such as a vacuum suction. The hose I got from Oreileys...they sell it by the foot...told the guy only needed 1 1/2 feet and he sold me that for the price of a foot. The hose was a two foot section so this left a 6" piece he could not sell. Went back after three days and the short piece he had cut off was still there and ended up giving it to me also. Gotz two feet hose for the price of a foot! This hose has to be stretched over the plenum but just a little grease and very little force and it was on and secured with a clamp. The other end where the grab bars go in was just a little too loose and was afraid possible air leak so i wrapped this end of the grab bars with two rounds of masking tape to be sure i could put the clamp for this end over where the tape was to make a more secure seal. Worked like a charm. Made the diameter of the pipe bigger where it entered the hose and had no problems with a seal. Mine oldwing is working GREAT!!! Just what worked for me.

Weightlifter99 is that paper based masking tape? If so I would change it for duct or electrical tape as I believe it will deteriorate quickly.