Bertha's Single Carb Conversion Chapter Deaux Plus a major transplant revival

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, all my stuff is on, I just need to go to town and get the tiny things like clamps and the bolts that I want to use (self locking vinyl based nuts). I have not really done much reassembly on the bike once the motor swap was done. We put the bad mani setup on just to get the motor to pop off, so that has to come off. Than I need to get the radiator pressure tested and get the old water hoses and timing belts off. I also need to get the new ones ordered now that I have the additional funds. I am all done with my service work for the time being. SO its goldwing time. Looks like I will have the entire weekend too.

Old manifold is off for good, and I am loading up the radiator. Getting it pressure tested today. I am ordering new timing belts, the ones on the new motor are frayed. And slack. Will I be able to source radiator hose at a parts store, or is it to small of ID? In opther words will I need to order Honda hoses?

Between Oreally's, Scar Quest, or Napper one of them should have something, I would hope. Just cant tell around this area. I called and reserved a part for a guy's road star I fixed this week two weeks ago, they swore they had the part, put his name on it and set it aside. The poor guy drove 100 miles to pick it up as he had business in Bismarck anyway. Yea, they did not have the part. Shot the poor guy down and cost him two weeks of riding time. Had I known I would had to order, I could have had it shipped out of fargo the next day and been done with it.

and thank you backlander...

I appreciate it.

Quick question, what length should I cut the runners? Was hoping for a quick response, I am knee deep in the manifold assembly, and was hoping I could get a quick shout out on this.

Hey Kraig, West mentioned in his post that he started at 6", but he said a guy could start at 5 and be pretty close.

Thanks. Been back and forth to the hospital, my kid is having bad reactions to his meds for his bipolar condition, so it looks like they will be pulling his gall bladder. But between that and the holiday, and my adult daughter and boyfriend needing help starting out..I have been a busy guy. I have also been woprking on a Yami Venture in the shop, and the owner is not happy that his ECU is thoroughly rusted and needs to be replaced. Thats what you get leaving them in the rain and snow without a cover, or storing them properly.

But I did manage to get my mounting plate cut out for the manifold and the 2 barrel to one barrel converter. I am calling it the high rise...lol

I got the high rise mounted on the manifold. I got a good seal on it, but I did coat the external edges in gas proof high heat RTV, just to be sure. I also mounted the carb on the high rise. I shopped for the radiator hose, and called my aluminum welding buddy to see if we can get the heat source welded or brazed or soldered on to the manifold. I am researching finding two t-fitting that will allow me to divert hot water to the plenum heater. We commonly get 40 degree and colder nights in the great white north here, so I am just going to get it done while its torn down.

I inspected the timing belts and adjusters. I need new timing belts for sure way to much slack. I was going to replace them anyway. I did not get the radiator tested. The only shop in town that does that here wont touch it cause its off a bike. More specifically, the radiator guy want work on and I quote "a god damn japanese piece of s***" and thats what I get for buying one. So I will take my 30 to 400 dollars a month in fuel expenses I used to spend at that shop's gas station and take it somewhere that does not employ a bigotted harley rider. Frickin clubs around here really get on my nerves.

I will cut the runners tomorrow, and rough fit everything, but I want the heatert issue done, and chuck wont be back til monday. Thats ok, I have my grandson this weekend, so I am done for the week, on paying projects and my own.

Good to hear you're making progress! That's encouraging!! I'll be making my "high rise" adapter this weekend. Any advice? What'd you use material-wise? Take any pictures by chance?

BTW, On the radiator hose, the NAPA 7733 can be cut in half and each half used on the radiator. Fits really well from what I've seen! If you get the OEM ones from Honda it's like $80, but if you get the 7733 it's about 17 bucks. :D I'll be doing this before I get my beast on the road as part of my "Better safe than sorry" preventive maintenance. :D

Have a safe weekend!!

Interesting side bar, I don't know if its a local thing, but Honda oil is actually much more affordable than even the stuff at Wally world. My last oil change client paid 23 bucks for a gallon of semi synth 10 40 Honda branded oil. He said the standard conventional oil is about 5 dollars a quart. Not a bad price, and the last place I would have expected to see that kind of price.

For the plate, I used a four by four gangbus or the electrical junction cover. It roughly (a little less) 1/8" think, and gives you a lot of room to play with. For the bolts, I actually used allen heads bolts. Carriage bolts get in the way of the side of the plate, at least it did on mine. I am getting ready for bed, so I am not taking a pic right now. But I bought mine at an electrical supply store for $1.49. Yea the honda hoses are crazy expensive. Oreally can convert the NAPA number, and they are around 12 dollars there. Our NAPA store is crazy expensive, they hit me for EIGHTEEN DOLLARS for an oil filter for my riding mower. I was selling it, and they had the only one in town. The buyer was on the way to pick it up, so I had no time to shop, but NAPA can hit you below the belt from time to time.

I will see if I can get into Home of Economy and get a picture of that plate I used. It worked pretty well, and is surprisingly tough for the thickness, it ate my last 1.5 inch hole saw...lol...but I know those things are for door sheet metal, you know, really light stuff.

I was just reading through Joe and West's posts and figured I better check my grab bars. The flange, the overall width, and even some of the predrilled holes could not be better. I will be able to use at least one hole on at least the two ports I checked, so getting them drilled and prepped should be a sinch. I will get the order details and add them later for reference. I am going to pick up my grandson for the weekend.

I split the grab bars to check fitment. The hose will need some minor convincing to get into place on the manifold, but it fits perfectly on the runner. The runner drags a little in the hose, so I will likely use some RTV to line the inside when I fit it in place, but I dont see any issues with sealing it down on either joint.

I will have to do some trimming on the side of the runner to make room for plug removal, but it should not be an issue.

Quick question, I am aiming to have the choke go forward. Will it be an issue to remove that diagonal bar that runs behind the radiator heat shield? I just think its a little tight for the linkage. And should I pull the EPA control? Like joe did? Just asking.