Carb Cleaning

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya I posted a link to a thread about it from another forum.... I was amazed at how well it worked... cost Me $10.99 for a HUGE jug of it.. Way cheaper than any other method that I know of and not nearly as toxic.... plus the bonus is it's safe on all the rubber parts.

it works good especialy with a litle movement like a parts washer...simple realy ...trying to get set up myself on the carb game i have many racks to go through ...this is my plan

make a home made ultrasonic cleaner with the walmart plastic tub, cheapo 1/4 sheet electric sander and two bungie cords, juice it up with pine sol mixture and let the carb rack get the best of both worlds.

backlander":2jctluwv said:
make a home made ultrasonic cleaner with the walmart plastic tub, cheapo 1/4 sheet electric sander and two bungie cords, juice it up with pine sol mixture and let the carb rack get the best of both worlds.

I assume you strap the sander to the tub and let it vibrate the tub and solution.

thebronze":i3417dpe said:
Ya I posted a link to a thread about it from another forum.... I was amazed at how well it worked... cost Me $10.99 for a HUGE jug of it.. Way cheaper than any other method that I know of and not nearly as toxic.... plus the bonus is it's safe on all the rubber parts.

I noticed a few guys saying the Pine sol turned the carb's black? Did that happen to you?

As with all carbs, the smaller the orifice the more attention it needs.

GL1200 carb bodies are the same overall "form factor" as the 80's V4 magnas and sabres, and like them have factory installed aluminum plugs preventing access to the air/fuel mixture screws (AKA Pilot needles). EPA!!!

As pertains to sentence #1, you can't do the job effectively without pulling the pilot needles and the bystart (choke) plungers. In fact ultrasound and/or canned sprays will drive crud into tiny passages that are dead-end owing to plungers/needles blocking them. Think backed up toilet.

Perhaps you're incredibly lucky and all of those passages are clear but seeing as how just one clogged needle will bring the bike to its knees...

This isn't to suggest that you can't do a perfectly good job. Robust sales of DIY rebuild kits attest to this. But let's make sure you're catching all the gremlins or you could wind up---> :head bang: