Carbs knock, idle problems etc

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guy's, I know I make it look easy, should see me change a tire out..ha ha The wife is a real sport and supports you guy's too...The offer for the bit is still open ...Mandorider...It might be best to use a bit you know is correct...

If you use a carb. dip ( the type that you'd get at Autozone that comes in a can with a metal basket) it will damage the rubber parts of your carb. I've used Yamalube Carb Dip Cleaner with good results and it doesn't damage anything. It's water soluable so if you want it can be diluted(3-1 or 2-1) and then you can boil your carbs in a pot. I did that on a bike that sat for 20+ years w gas in it and they cleaned up well. The part number is ACC-CARBC-LE-NR. Hope that helps.

Don't soak them complete - there are felt and rubber parts on Honda carbs that the cleaner eats! I haven't done GW carbs (yet) but am familiar with Magna carbs. Also - too much Seafoam or any other cleaner can also be a bad thing for the same reason - it can eat the sensitive stuff so more is definately not always better. Also, do not mix parts between carbs, if they are like the Magna's there are critical but subtle differences - even if not, don't mix as wear patterns may not match and could cause problems.

Besides a synch (see my article) the idle mixture also needs to be set using the 'idle drop method'. You can build a simple but accurate synchronizer following the instructions in my article too - easy peasy and cheap too.

littlebeaver":1vsznz3k said:
Please forgive for making everyone wait for this video, it should have been made months ago...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REJCedXmQYw I'm sorry, Dan if you want to place it where it should be go for it... Mandorider I can send you my bit if you wish...No problem man..
Nice video Beav! :thanks:

Hey I just dreamed up a idea to remove these jets without a easyout and with a drywall screw, Carpenters brain at work again, I would need to try it out first but I'm willing to bet it would work, ok, use a drywall screw, drill it through a piece of 1/2" plywood, a circle of wood about 3" and drill the drywall screw straight in the center of that wood piece, now place a washer over the point of the screw up to the wood, so now you can insert the screw into the top of the jet and screw it down to get a bite, now place a screwdriver on the head of the screw so it doesn't turn anymore and with your other hand screw the wood down toward the towerand turn tightly, it should pull the jet striaght up, the washer helps because the wood could just sink in the tower the jet lives in but the washer won't allow it.. I bet it ill work...I need an old set of 80 to 81 carbs to try it on or if someone here understands my idea they could try it on a old set they have and get back to us, we must work as a team guy's, ideas come up and if they work then its good...You guy's think it would work...????

Maybe the piece of wood should have a handle on it, cut it in the shape of a frying pan, might make it easier to turn..

joedrum":3e3stxmy said:
well they will come out that way ...there are two threads to try in drywall screws smooth and coruse thread ...not sure witch would work the best
Joe, did you try it? I know mine will come right up without even trying it because I already broke the seal on mine, but it should be tried on a set of carbs where the seal has never been touched...That's a true test...I think it will work, because my brain says it will..ha ha :shock: Maybe I'll sell a kit haaaaa :smilie_happy: Piece of wood and a drywall screw in a baggie....ha ha :smilie_happy: Oh and a washer too :smilie_happy:

Youre the best Beav:
I went to Ace at lunch and they had the #2 hansen extractor. I purchased it and succesfully removed all 4 jets. I cleaned out the little holes with a wire and currently have all 4 jets soaking in berrymans Chem-dip carburetor cleaner. My next question is... should I be able to get a wire all the way through the center hole? (not the 8 little ones) because I cant. I can barely blow through them. is the center hole super tiny?

Congratultions to you my friend, the hard part is out of the way, Yes, the center hole is really small, use a wire off a small wire brush, clamp it to a pair of vise grips to poke it thru or needle nose, but grips hold it better.... here's what you should do, take one of the jets that the hole has been cleared out of outside and look thru it in the daylight, now take note of the size of the hole, store that in your brain for the next one, this is why I say to soak them over night or an hour ha ha poke it easy now do not I repeat do not get to excited with it, the carb cleaner will loosen the deposits and make poking thru easier, patience and you will get it..How were the side holes? You will see a major improvment now, be sure to polish the pistons, oh and lightly tap them back in, if you use a small hammer you can actually feel it bottom out tap lightly now..Good luck...I just bought a sync. tool off ebay like Dan has, That sucker idles as good as it looks..haaahha :smilie_happy:

Mandorider":1iuqwif0 said:
Youre the best Beav:
I went to Ace at lunch and they had the #2 hansen extractor. I purchased it and succesfully removed all 4 jets. I cleaned out the little holes with a wire and currently have all 4 jets soaking in berrymans Chem-dip carburetor cleaner. My next question is... should I be able to get a wire all the way through the center hole? (not the 8 little ones) because I cant. I can barely blow through them. is the center hole super tiny?
Yes, you should be able to get a wire through the center, be sure to use a smalll wire..the hole is small, use a small wire first then try a wire a little larger, you should clear it with the small one.. If you have one with the hole cleared already, try this, get a wire off a larger wire brush and see if it goes through, if the wire is too large forget that don't force anything, find a wire that will go thru, then you know which wire to use..So how do you know if it's been totally cleared, the hole will be prefectly round when you look thru it...Oh one last tip and it's important, when you get the wire ready, cut the point at an angle so you can spin the wire and it will dig thru..

Oh Mandorider just so you know and everyone else, a bread wrapper wire is too large for the hole in the center of the jet, If you need to, go to the store to purchase a small wire brush just to get a stain from it it would be worth it...That's how small that hole is...do not damage the hole..

Update:
I let the Jets soak in Berrymans all night, used some mandolin strngs (mandorider, get it?) to clear out the holes. 1 of the 4 jets was clear. the other 3 had all holes totally clogged. all 9 holes. (8 on the sides and 1 down the center) it wasnt easy to unclog them. tried wire off of a wire brush but they are not rigid enough. that is, they bend when you start poking. So, guitar or mandolin strings will do the trick. they are rigid enough. Just for everyones knowledge, a .009 string goes through and so does a .011. a .016 will not, its to big. thats how tiny those center holes are. .011, not much larger. Now to get it all back together and back on the bike but first, I might was well polish the manifolds and vacuum covers while I have them off the bike. Thanks Beav and thanks everyone. Ill keep you posted. Ill try to get a video up in the near future of how she runs. (i should have done a before and after) so in case there is any question regarding how vital a good fuel filter is on a bike this should be testimony. a piece of debris smaller then a grain of sand will not fit through the jets.

Did you use Martin strings, D'Addario strings, Ernie Ball strings or some other brand? (Or does it make a difference? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: )

Just kidding of course! Good job on the cleaning!

Did you use Martin strings, D'Addario strings, Ernie Ball strings or some other brand? (Or does it make a difference? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: )

As a matter of fact, they actually were D'Addario. Good Call. :)

Latest posts