Carbs knock, idle problems etc

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been into the Wing Carburetors as I run a single Weber two barrel but I had a Seca that was so cold natured that it needed the choke on the first 5 minutes just to keep it idling even on hot days. It was actually an enriching needle and would really crank the RPMs up.
All the advice on the internet said to drill the idle jets out to .019". When I checked them, they were already at .0175" and I didn't think there was any way that another .0015" could possible make a difference.
I was pleasantly surprised, she didn't even need the choke on warm days and on the coldest days it wanted the choke off as soon as it started.
The point is, we want to be very careful poking the crud out so as not to enlarge the passage.

Well see there, I learned a thing or two from you, the actual size of the holes, I had no idea what size a guitar string is, I have heard of guys using one, but these guys are just clearing the center holes out because the are not pulling them, that ain't working...those side jets are very important too..You are a pretty smart guy Mandorider, you know how to follow instructions perfectly, you just happen to have a terrible clog, the main thing is you didn't damage it because I made you totally aware those holes were tiny, your a smart guy...Congratulations again, if you didn't pull them it would never idle correctly...You will never have a clog that bad again..Bravo

mcgovern61":3cu2gc44 said:
Did you use Martin strings, D'Addario strings, Ernie Ball strings or some other brand? (Or does it make a difference? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: )

Just kidding of course! Good job on the cleaning!
You guy's know my name is Martin right? ahhhh haa

littlebeaver":gklmoonp said:
mcgovern61":gklmoonp said:
Did you use Martin strings, D'Addario strings, Ernie Ball strings or some other brand? (Or does it make a difference? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: )

Just kidding of course! Good job on the cleaning!
You guy's know my name is Martin right? ahhhh haa
We know now! A Martin guitar....now thats another story!

I haven't seen such a group of people so focussed at sticking a hardened wire into a small soft hole since high school! Be careful that you don't accidentally rejet the damn thing! I have always found an overnight soak of the removed jets in cleaner followed by a rinse and air blast to be sufficient. I think only once did I need to repeat for a second night. Watch your eyes and skin when using compressed air - you can drive it through your skin and that can be a bad situation.

When you are done, you should be able to see daylight through every hole - and is should be round. If not, soak again.

The guy Mandorider is pretty sharp, I haven't laughed this hard in awhile either, some funny stuff on here man, have you guy's met my friend Joe Drum, that guys a riot...Yep. compress air could make that clogg a freak dangerous weapon...it ssure could hurt one if your doing it that way...This is why I love this site so much, the crazies come out after business is taken care of...You know who you are,,, Joe.. Mac, O. M&Andy, Gary :smilie_happy:

well liquid desinigraters cost money ...i like playing with air ...but the lost in space part is to much for me ...i loose enought stuff without adding to the chances...my shop is just not good for lost stuff...crazy and broke is usealy my foundation to build on :hihihi:

Update:
Finally got it all back together, (took some time polishing the manifolds and vacuum covers since I had it all off the bike anyway) and started right up. ran a little rough at first but thats mostly because my idle stop was set really high. Anyway, once the bike was warming up, I was able to back the idle stop screw out practically all the way. Spent a lot of time with the sync meters hooked up because at around 1K each time you get the carbs synced, youre back to around 1700 rpms again. then you have to turn the idle stop down again. Had to do that several times and I now have that thing running around 900. No, knock. it sounds perfect. runs perfect. revs perfect. once I got the sync almost perfect, it ran even better once I got the actually vacuum screws back in the carb instead of the meter lines. Anyway... Thanks to beav and the rest of you for your suggestions and advice. And to the rest who are just observing the post, well, if you have a little knock going on at low R's, just do what I just did. it seems more intimidating then it really is (then again, isnt everything that way) but it is so worth the effort and believe me when I say, if I can do it, anyone can. Now... on to other things... anyone with some suggestions or thoughts on driver floorboards and or highwaypegs? Im 6'2" and most bikes i feel are designed with someone shorter in mind.

great outcome ....im 5'11" and it seems like its made for someone shorter than me ...then when your the right hieght for riding ....that person cant reach the road cause the bike to tall ....go figure what kind of engineering that is .....oh well i love the oldwings nothing perfect....

Sounds like your sync was way off to be dropping the idle speed screw so much, good deal ya got it sorted out.

Start a new post about the highway pegs/floorboards.
I'm sure you'll get a few good suggestions. I have a couple.

I like updates when it's a good outcome.. :salute: I'd put a little seafoam in the gas and run it thru or Techron just to make sure all is clear..

OK littlebeaver, now that this thread has resolved itself I have a question for you: What caused you to post "This is why I love this site so much, the crazies come out after business is taken care of...You know who you are,,, Joe.. Mac, O. M&Andy, Gary ". I'm a little offended to be casually dismissed as a crazy so I'd like to understand why you thought that label was appropriate.

This isn't intended to encourage a dick swinging battle, I really want to understand what I did to earn this label.

It wasn't my intent to upset someone over that, I apologize for it, to everyone .. Some of us know each other and we kid around a bit at times, I wanted to include you in the group, perhaps my judgement was off.. I'll be careful of you in the future...and I actually thought your comment about sticking a wire in the hole was funny, you know, since high school..Maybe that's why I included you..Joe, Gary, O. Mac I'm sorry guy's ...

To those who don't ride anyone who does is crazy. To most people in general new is better than old. So folks choosing to ride 30 year old bikes must be crazy. A majority of folks out there think OEM is best. Second only to chrome after market bling. To them anyone adapting parts or making parts is crazy. I'm proud to be one of the crazy guys who owns, wrenches and rides these old bikes. I see nothing at all offensive in littlebeavers post. I know it is popular these days to take offense at the slightest things but get real folks. This is motorcycle forum.

toytender01":3odgl36l said:
Bet the string used most is the "G" string :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Duuhhhh I just now got that :shock: ....Did you know I'm a Turtle.. :smilie_happy:

littlebeaver":3sriiqoq said:
toytender01":3sriiqoq said:
Bet the string used most is the "G" string :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Duuhhhh I just got that :shock: .... did you know, I'm a turtle... :smilie_happy:

Now that's funny! :smilie_happy: :yahoo: :smilie_happy:

littlebeaver":10eeoq9n said:
It wasn't my intent to upset someone over that, I apologize for it, to everyone .. Some of us know each other and we kid around a bit at times, I wanted to include you in the group, perhaps my judgement was off.. I'll be careful of you in the future...and I actually thought your comment about sticking a wire in the hole was funny, you know, since high school..Maybe that's why I included you..Joe, Gary, O. Mac I'm sorry guy's ...

Sorry - apparently I misunderstood - it happens at times for, like Pooh, I am a bear of very little brain. I wasn't pissed, just puzzled. All is good now that I have clued in - and no need for kid gloves in the future.

EDIT - I forgot to mention: Thanks for including me in the group - feels good.

Latest posts