CGW Midwest MEET 2012 AUGUST

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
These ride plans have changed, read from THIS POST forward for the latest details!

More details for 2012 will be posted as we work them out but according to goldwinger1984 2012 meet will be in Leamington, Ontario most likely Saturday August 11th.

UPDATE: We have a tentative plan to have 2 meets,
One in the Detroit area maybe Friday, possibly South of Detroit and the other in Canada on Saturday and/or Sunday.

The idea is to meet up with as many bikes as we can going to the event all along the route.

Man can you just picture it!?
A bunch of of Classic Goldwings cruisin down the highway to Canada, I can't wait and putting the meets together will be fun too!

See the last posts in this thread for the most current information since many of the earlier posts are about my old plan to ride there and back from L.A which I can't do.
I'll try to update this first post also as plans are finalized.

Here is the link to our event calendar for you to RSVP if you can make it.
calendar.php?view=event&calEid=146

This is the proposed ride route as of Dec. 7th, 2011

image.php

2,542 mi,1 day 16 hours
I copied and pasted mileage from Stockton, CA using Google maps. That's averaging 66.5 mph non-stop. That would be a helava ride. Maybe there could be a "cause" to ride for like Wounded Warriors. Corporate donations "per mile" or? Don't really know how that works. Would have to have a tow vehicle with bike trailer for break-downs. Maybe that could be sponsored by corporate as well with their advertising "sponsored by?" Just a wild idea. :salute:

A sponsor would be great as well as a few chase vehicles.

Lets here some ideas how to go about this?

I'll be posting an event at gl1200goldwings.com, ngw,nagf and maybe a few other forums.
Feel free to post other places and link to this post so we get the word out to as many people as we can.

:doh: :shock:
What are you guys talkin about,these things are made to cross the country,and back,and forth and back...
We dont need no stinking chase vehicles.Thats for harleys

My offer still stands dan,but its a small house so accomadations will be tight.
However it is a very large yard for those with tents,and of course my garage will be availible for anyone needing to tighten up or service anything.

Sounds like a great idea to go to it next year but i don't EVER travel with more than 1 other rider and even then I am super picky...I will put it on the calendar though and if possible will meet you all there.
Happy Trails....
Brian in NM

I wish I could Dan...my problem is that I have done it so seldom that I am just not at all comfortable and think I would only add to the danger which I think is considerable with a group...
That's cool though....
If I go I will make it a great trip across Canada and do a lot of sightseeing and camp the whole way....
Brian

Yes riding in a group can be challenging.
Communication before setting off is key as is making sure everyone understands hand signals and USES THEM.

I used to ride with a GWRRA group that insisted we ride 2 seconds apart, I'm not comfortable with that most times especially in heavy traffic. This chapter leader was VERY aggressive, insisted on "This is OUR lane and get the cagers out!" In trying to do so I had a few close calls as did a couple others.

Needless to say after a couple rides I left GWRRA all together, there were other reasons but the riding style was the main one.
I'm sure it's different other areas but here in L.A traffic with the way people drive and cut you off if you want to live to ride another day their style is just asking for the worst to happen.

Now on pleasure rides I go out alone which is how I prefer.
I like to stop whenever I want and change destination whenever I want, hard to do in a group but with this ride to Canada we'd have a planned route and destination as well as planned break stops.

:Egyptian: YES!!! I ride with a partner that knows my every move and we have never had a conflict......of cource my wife dosen't like him.. said he is too much like me.... of cource he IS ME :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :clapping: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

I can can understand the concern of riding with a big group even though I never have. What I would be comfortable with is something like this....Will leave on this day from point A and will meet at point B at the end of the day. It gives everyone the freedom of choice...speed, stops or side trips. Now with computers (Wifi) and smart phones, plans could be updated as needed/if needed. If you ended up riding with a group, or with a friend or by yourself, its your choice. You might get more participation that way. For those not going, this trip sure would make for interesting posts on CGW. That sure would make for an interesting read. Just a thought :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

aslatk":2tu9np2w said:
I can can understand the concern of riding with a big group even though I never have. What I would be comfortable with is something like this....Will leave on this day from point A and will meet at point B at the end of the day. It gives everyone the freedom of choice...speed, stops or side trips. Now with computers (Wifi) and smart phones, plans could be updated as needed/if needed. If you ended up riding with a group, or with a friend or by yourself, its your choice. You might get more participation that way. For those not going, this trip sure would make for interesting posts on CGW. That sure would make for an interesting read. Just a thought :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

Good idea, I like that freedom so we'll make this part of the plan!

aslatk":22ruml7k said:
I can can understand the concern of riding with a big group even though I never have. What I would be comfortable with is something like this....Will leave on this day from point A and will meet at point B at the end of the day. It gives everyone the freedom of choice...speed, stops or side trips. Now with computers (Wifi) and smart phones, plans could be updated as needed/if needed. If you ended up riding with a group, or with a friend or by yourself, its your choice. You might get more participation that way. Just a thought :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

Sounds like a great idea,the HOT ROD POWER TOUR is set up that way and works out great.

I'm having some BAD computer problems....I can't get into MapQuest , so I have no Idea how far it is......BUT , I'm sure it's too far for me. and besides , I have never had a PassPort in my Life. . . .

sledge":1h4umdt4 said:
I'm having some BAD computer problems....I can't get into MapQuest , so I have no Idea how far it is......BUT , I'm sure it's too far for me. and besides , I have never had a PassPort in my Life. . . .

Its at the most southern point,just east of michigan.Only a comfortable 2 day ride for you.
As for the passport,I dont have one either,and dont intend on getting one.But some states (incuding michigan)offer a ENHANCED DRIVERS LICENSE cheaper then a passport, which allows you into canada and mexico by land or sea.If you where interested on going I would ask at you DMV.

Thanks Tory , I'll check into the drivers License thing . I didn't know there was such a thing . . . I guess I need to get out more......... :smilie_happy: but , anyway , thank you ... I would LOVE to do this next year , I'm not saying I will or can... but , I am gonna try to start planning this , I'm glad it's months away ....

Latest posts