coilsmay be faulty .....Is the neon coil pack an alternative

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't really answer the dirt question. How much oil is blowing around on your contact points right now? I had a little Honda once that leaked oil into the points area and it refused to run. Do i blame the points for not being "oil proof" or is that part of the challenge of keeping old bikes running?

I've never had an optical reader die from a leak but my CB750 and GL1000 dont leak in the points area.

Honestly i know of two bikes this scared me on. First one was a CB750 dual overhead cam bike. The owner left the petcock on and it filled his engine with gasoline. Unknown to him, he fired it up and went for a ride. The diluted oil leaked past our adapter seal and the bike quit.
He needed to wipe the eye clean with rubbing alcohol once he got home, and then change his oil. It runs fine now.

The second one is that sexy little CB175 racer we have on our website. That bike has an oil leak and while racing it at Road America and in Michigan it sprayed oil all over the area where the C5 was located. Fortunately for us it kept going and never missed a beat. I was not happy about it, knowing the oil was spraying all over, but we didnt have the means to fix it at the race track.

So there you have it. These ignitions have been used in Harleys, race cars, and VW engines for over 10 years now. If you spring a leak in the ignition area, fix it before it starts to gush oil.

I'll try to get the PowerArc guys to post a photo of their tractor. It's had the ignition on for years and years. The tractor sits in a machine shed with a dirt floor. I've started it myself. 50 degrees, half choke, starts in 2 seconds or less. Best part is the chrome distributor cap that says Enfield on it.

yep peee ...we have fire ..oh boy I like this part ....I didn't try to run it going to pu strait pipes on for tunining and the radiator is trashed got to get radiator 1100 or 1100 wont work way to big ......but it fire right up ... :yahoo:

Hi guys I have just read ,whats been going on here , while I have a min. ...

Not had time to do anything towards a solution to my bike problem...

I would appreciate any idea and all idea's .... I would like to not have to put the same type of coils back in.

k that is one idea I don't want.. Unless it is the only one.... that will get me on the road again....

However I have read others have made it work without standard coils.. I would also like to change the Martech ignition....

I should also consider C5 performance .. Do they have Coils with 3ohm and electronic ignition..for my 1977 GL1000 .

I would like to know what C5 has to offer ...

thanks again... crowhorse

Just to let you know my father is home today... They had to put 3 stents in artery...

Crowhorse, sorry to hear about your dad, but glad he is done with surgery. That's always a scary thing.

The GL1000 kit comes with the ignition and coil as a matched pair, designed to work in harmony with no resistor ballast or fancy wiring.
All the stuff you need for installation is included except new plugs and plug caps (i recommend new ones unless recently changed).

We have 3 ohm coils but they aren't exactly like other coils or they couldn't multi spark...and what's the fun in that?
Because the design is so different from others, we don't recommend mixing and matching our stuff with other brands unless you want to try it and report back to us.
Here is a beginners guide to "self taught" electrical results:

No smoke=go for a ride
White smoke=slow fire
Grey smoke=pretty serious
Black smoke=i hope you didnt park near the house
Visible flames=better get the extinguisher
Mushroom cloud=get on Craigslist and start looking for a new Wing

I have a guide to explain that expensive sizzling sound, but we'll cover that another day :Awe:

Latest posts