cracked windshield

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmeyer

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with cracking a windshield. Mine started cracking last year at the second bolt from the left. I though it was from bottoming out the front suspension in a manhole cover, but I've had a few people tell me it should not have done that?

Perhaps someone left out one(or more) of the metal spacers that go between the fairing, and the polished trim on the front of the windshield? These should be in place where the four screws go thru the windshield to keep from overtightening the screws, and cracking the plastic. That's my only idear...

Think of it this way. You are holding about a half inch of material to hold 18" of material at an angle. That is subjected to gravity always. Buffeted by winds both riding and parked. Pelted by rain and materials thrown up by other vehicles. Smacked by countless bugs. I think it's a wonder these windscreens last as long as they do.

I bet age had something to do with it cracking.
Plastic, especially exposed to UV will get brittle over time.
Certain plastics are more resistant but getting any more than 10 years out of a windshield I think is pretty good
considering the elements.

I've had plastic light lenses less than 10 years old literally crumble when taking them off.

Metal spacers? you don't mean the funny looking "nuts" that the screws go into on the on the rider side of the windshield? What should they/ Do they look like?

The service manual calls them "collars", but they're small round spacers that fit into the slots of the windshield, so that when you tighten the bolts/screws down, it doesn't break the plastic. I tried to find a pic or breakdown, but I haven't...yet..
Here's a page from the Clymer manual that references the spacers/collars, but it doesn't actually show them.

Yup...I just found the pic....
Mine has them...perhaps the later models didn't use them? Are the fairings that different?

fairing.png

In the parts fiche they say how many pieces are needed but number 1 they list just 1 needed, I count 6 needed.
Almost $4 each surely we can figure out something else to work cheaper.

AApple":eh8j7qc3 said:
...perhaps the later models didn't use them? Are the fairings that different?

I checked for mine, '83I uses them also.
Evidently a PO didn't think they were needed :Awe:

There are six of them...two on each mirror, and the two in the middle area of the fairing. Mine usually fall out anytime I remove the screws, so it could be real easy to loose them. They're just a short section of tubing, basically. I could take one of mine out and take some measurements, if needed....
I would think you could cut some from a section of 5/16" steel fuel line.
I wonder if the fairings without the adjustable windscreens would need them, or have them?

They are on my 85 Interstate, Honda parts manual also calls them a collar, Honda part number is 90501-425-000. I bought a new one through Amazon to replace the missing one on mine. It looks like a sleeve with a washer attached to one end. Do a google search for the part number then click on SHOPPING on Google and it will bring up a number of places to get them.

Dave / Believer45

Latest posts